Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Plunder and Deceit (Scenario) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Lacey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Inspired by the thread Bad Blood...Enjoy!

Rip Off Contacts and Steal From Other Ships. What More Could You Want?

Expansions: PB&H Required. Will also work with other expansions.

Set Up:

Jobs:

No starting jobs.

Remove all piracy jobs and place them aside in a separate deck

Havens:

Set up havens in border or rim space. Start at your haven.

Special Rule: Ripping off Contacts

When you start a non-crime job you can rip off your contact by delivering whatever goods, passengers, or fugitives you were supposed to deliver to your haven instead of the destination on the job card.

Follow these steps.

-Perform a work action to start working a NON-CRIME job by loading whatever good/passengers/fugitives need to be loaded.

-Perform a work action at your haven to deliver the required cargo while your current job is still active.

-Collect $200 per good, passenger or fugitive delivered.

-Pay your crew (or not) just like you had completed a job

-Remove the active job card from the game.

-Collect a goal token. This completes the RIP OFF

After ripping off a contact you may NEVER work a job for that contact again. You are also no longer SOLID with that contact. In addition, as soon as you rip off a contact, every player may immediately accept a piracy job from the contact you ripped off.

If the contact has no piracy jobs available or doesn’t have piracy to begin with, issue a warrant against the offending ship.

Winning the Game:

Collect a goal token for every contact you rip off OR for every piracy job you successfully complete.

The first player to obtain three goals wins. (Or five for longer games)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
That's pretty cool. I like the concept of "Hey, that gorram fool Burgess ripped me off; make him pay!" being the drive of the game. And good idea having a fall-back when piracy jobs run out... even if it didn't make sense. And what I mean by that is, criminals typically won't call the cops if they are robbed. But, again, it's good to at least have that secondary punishment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Maybe, rather than each player being able to get a Piracy Job (which might run out quickly), there's an "open" Piracy Job against the player in question?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool.

Stealing from a contact, and not completing an agreed contract is probably immoral?

It should probably be every other player pulling a piracy job.

Maybe, to keep the piracy jobs available (I don't know how many there are for any contact), the 'other player closest to the offended contact', or 'any other player solid with that contact' is the one given the piracy job.

Perhaps it's a good idea to get together some small squares of paper or sticky notes, with the names of the ships in play (or the captains) so you can make each piracy job specific to the offending party, and keep track of them as there are likely to be many going at once.

Not all the contacts are exactly criminals, so it makes sense they would report you, thus the warrant.

You should probably keep the card for the stolen job next to you, sideways or something as a reminder that you can't work for that contact again. You can put your goal token on it.

Perhaps, when completing a piracy job against someone who ripped off Niska, in addition to what's on the card, you also kill the captain (Niska sends his regards). Standard medic checks and lucky captain and all those other rules apply.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the new "piracy opportunities" don't need to be treated exactly like jobs. How about this:

- keep one Piracy card per contact face-up for reference
- once ship A has ripped off contact 1, everyone else may execute a contact-1 piracy job on ship A at any time, no job card needed, normal payout

So ship A might take a contact-1 job card and turn it round, so that it's facing outwards, as a signifier to other players that ship A is now fair game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
Very cool.

Stealing from a contact, and not completing an agreed contract is probably immoral?

But if the Job is Immoral, should the act of breaking the Contract be a Moral act, making the Job now Moral? whistle

Scarbuck wrote:
It should probably be every other player pulling a piracy job.

Maybe, to keep the piracy jobs available (I don't know how many there are for any contact), the 'other player closest to the offended contact', or 'any other player solid with that contact' is the one given the piracy job.

How about once any Player has broken a Contract, a Piracy Job is sorted out of the Contact's deck and placed in the Contact's Discard Pile?

Scarbuck wrote:
Perhaps it's a good idea to get together some small squares of paper or sticky notes, with the names of the ships in play (or the captains) so you can make each piracy job specific to the offending party, and keep track of them as there are likely to be many going at once.

A good old Post-It note stuck to the Piracy Job noting the Offender as specific target to differentiate it from a "normal" Piracy Job. Yes!

Scarbuck wrote:
Not all the contacts are exactly criminals, so it makes sense they would report you, thus the warrant.

I don't know that one needs to go that far, just sending "the Boys" 'round should be enough.

Scarbuck wrote:
You should probably keep the card for the stolen job next to you, sideways or something as a reminder that you can't work for that contact again. You can put your goal token on it.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Scarbuck wrote:
Perhaps, when completing a piracy job against someone who ripped off Niska, in addition to what's on the card, you also kill the captain (Niska sends his regards). Standard medic checks and lucky captain and all those other rules apply.

I would have thought Niska would have been very happy about this...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lacey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
This would have been a good season 2 episode.

BADGER: Go deliver this stuff.

MAL: OK

Later...

Wash: So we're not going to actually deliver it right?

Mal: Nah, let's just sell it to Shepherd on Haven. That way we can feel good about doing the right thing. Pissing off Badger is an added bonus.

Wash: I'm sure there will be no consequences what so ever for doing this. Good thinking Captain!

Ok well...that will never happen. So. Dark Matter, go do your own version of my idea!



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
Stealing from a contact, and not completing an agreed contract is probably immoral?


Looking at the range of job cards and the like, I don't think it would qualify as "Immoral". Most of these contacts aren't exactly upstanding citizens, nor are they poor folk just barely scraping by. There are other jobs that involve stealing (if you read the flavor text) and most of them aren't "Immoral", so I don't see why this would be.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the super-moral jobs ("Moral crew need not be paid for this job") would probably count as Immoral to steal from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.