Jordan Isip
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
BGG Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone! Dan, Aldie, and I have been hard at work on various improvements. Here's a roundup of major changes in our latest releases:

Improving Linkages Between Associated Games
We now have 'Reimplemented by' (along with reimplements and 'expansion for') in the game header to help you navigate between linked games faster.

Improving Empty Space in Description
On games with short descriptions, particularly ones in combination with long classifications, the previous layout allowed for large and awkward white-space. In our latest release, we've moved content around to help with this. We realize we still have further condensing, especially on newer games with less content, however this is a small step in the right direction. Previously: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7502853/Screenshots/o22-...

Moving Gameplay Section to Header
In our research we found people consistently bouncing between looking at the header information and the gameplay information - essentially these two sections were fighting for attention. So we moved 'gameplay' information to the header and removed the duplicated gameplay information under the title. Previously: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7502853/Screenshots/wt_p...

New ‘Ratings’ Tab
We've combined the 'Stats' and 'Ratings + Comments' tabs into a single 'Ratings' tab to make it easier for you see what the community thinks about a game. On the new tab, which is also linked to from overall rating hex, you should now see all of the game's ratings and comments in addition to all the stats on the side. We've also improved the ratings breakdown so you don't have to hover on each bar to see the count of each rating - which was particularly a pain on mobile. Previously: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7502853/Screenshots/o22-...

Classic Rating Colors
Rating colors have been modified to closer reflect the classic rating colors for improved continuity. Now: Reds (1–4) → Purple/Blue (5–7) → Greens (8–10)

Microbadges on Ratings & Comments
We're testing out a new format here to bring back Microbadges (on larger screens) on rating comments. Please send us feedback on your thoughts.

Moving Forward
Aldie and Dan are continuing to explore how to best address performance issues which primarily affect older devices. This will be a long term effort, but please note that it's something we are actively working on. PS. If you're a front-end engineer that has worked with large scale websites in the past, we’d love to hear your suggestions in this separate forum thread: Experienced Front-End Engineers Opinions Wanted.

As always, we love hearing your feedback and we try our hardest to respond to them. Big thanks to everyone that has continued to send in feedback and bug reports far past the initial release. Many of the changes above are either direct suggestions or are heavily based on requests sent in through our feedback channel (blue 'Feedback' button on bottom right of game page).

Jordan / Daniel / Aldie
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to an item like Brettspiel Adventskalender 2015

the top says EXPANSION FOR: ABYSS + 24 MORE

If you click the + 24 MORE, it hops you to the middle of the page, but doesn't give a full list.

There is a partial list in the blue box on the right, but this does not have the + MORE option.

I don't see anywhere on the game page where the full list is given.

"Expands" should have a spot in the tabs, probably under "Linked Items" where a full list can be provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Isip
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
BGG Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! We'll look into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where are the exact number of page views that were formally listed under "Stat"? All I can find is a general number that seems to be rounded to the nearest 1,000.

I prefer the old system. It's what computers are good at and providing more information is always better than providing less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are the play stats (by others) located now?

There doesn't appear to be any obvious way to reach the general stats or the play summaries now, without backtracking several steps through my own play logging stats (which still use the old page format).

Specifically, either of these two pages:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/playsummary/thing/xxxxxx
(example)

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/playstats/thing/xxxxxx
(example)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:

There doesn't appear to be any obvious way to reach the general stats or the play summaries now, without backtracking several steps through my own play logging stats (which still use the old page format).

(example)

(example)

You can get to the playstats page under "Game Stats" on right-hand side of the new reviews/stats tab by clicking on the number of games played. Not sure about the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
timgoddard wrote:
Woelf wrote:

(example)

(example)

You can get to the playstats page under "Game Stats" on right-hand side of the new reviews/stats tab by clicking on the number of games played. Not sure about the other.
Thanks. I didn't see that there a little while ago, so I either somehow missed it or they've already re-enabled the link to it.

That "play summary" page would be really helpful to have somewhere that's easily accessible, because it's much more useful than just the raw numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pageviews
The only pageview numbers I found were rounded to the nearest thousand. You click on "Ratings," then look down the right hand column and fine "Page Views." But it only lists the page views to the nearest thousand (E.G., 9K).

Listing the exact number is what computers do best and what was done until yesterday. I don't see any advantage in being vague.

I much prefer the old system.

- Fred
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
fixie wrote:
Classic Rating Colors
Rating colors have been modified to closer reflect the classic rating colors for improved continuity. Now: Reds (1–4) → Purple/Blue (5–7) → Greens (8–10)

Thank you for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fixie wrote:
We now have 'Reimplemented by' (along with reimplements and 'expansion for') in the game header to help you navigate between linked games faster.
These should not come above the game title. It would make sense for these to come immediately after the title (as well as the rank info)

fixie wrote:
We've combined the 'Stats' and 'Ratings + Comments' tabs into a single 'Ratings' tab to make it easier for you see what the community thinks about a game.
If you're looking for the stats information, there's nothing to suggest this is where they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for continuing to make the game pages better!

This probably isnt the place for it, but here goes!

I've long been jealous of the RPGGeek implementation of the Hotness sidebar. I like the pop-up-on-mouseover info for the games with a picture of the game/rulebook cover.

like this:

I'd love to see something like that implemented on BGG. Maybe like:

?

Anyway, jsut dreaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fixie wrote:
New ‘Ratings’ Tab

On mobile it has been added at the first position in the tab list, shoving the Forum tab over one position and moving Images under the More... tab. Is this intentional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the changes.

Here's +1 :gg: for your efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Kickstarter - February 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way for the page to remember (via cookies, etc.) what my default filter preferences are for viewing the Ratings & Comments? At present, I have to reset the filter every time I view a new page.

Thanks!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ratings tab is great, but its placement order could be adjusted IMO. I like having the forums tab second on the list, but not a huge deal I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred 100 wrote:
The only pageview numbers I found were rounded to the nearest thousand. You click on "Ratings," then look down the right hand column and fine "Page Views." But it only lists the page views to the nearest thousand (E.G., 9K).

Listing the exact number is what computers do best and what was done until yesterday. I don't see any advantage in being vague.

I much prefer the old system.

- Fred

I fully agree with this. I check the page views on a regular basis. Now, all of my bookmarks to that tab are broken ... but more of an issue is the vagueness of the number. Having it rounded to the nearest thousand is bad enough, but apparently once a game crosses the million mark, it's rounded to the nearest hundred thousand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you also make it show it shows the compact forum view on the game main page instead of the "relaxed" view?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI The link to the image of the "previous version" under the heading New 'Ratings' Tab is incorrect and shows the same image linked to under the heading Improving Empty Space in Description.

Hard to compare to what's NOT there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What's really strange is the computer needs to know the exact number of page views each game gets on a daily basis in order to produce a vague number. Why bother? Even if only a few people find it useful why not accommodate them? Everyone else can round the numbers off in their heads, if it's that important to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred 100 wrote:
What's really strange is the computer needs to know the exact number of page views each game gets on a daily basis in order to produce a vague number. Why bother?

When the newspaper prints the national debt, why do they round the amount off instead of always stating the total to the penny at the time of publication?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Absolutely true and if one game ever reaches the 17 trillion page view level they can round it off. But 4 or 5 digit numbers don't need the extra effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't kno wif this is possible or if it's already implemented, if it is I don't know where to turn it on, but one of the things I would LOVE to see implemented was the option to set a notification for when a game that we are subscribed too gets a new expansion, promo, etc, in the database...

Let's say I have the game T.I.M.E Stories subscribed, when a new expansion for it makes it's way to the BGG database and appears in the "Expansions" tab for the game I would receive a notification by GM or any other method that a new item related to that game was now in the database, that way I could then subscribe to it and be kept up to date with all games that I'm interested in.

Is this possible?

thanks and keep up the excellent work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your subscription to the game can already include a subscription to its expansions, if you want. Just set that in preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Your subscription to the game can already include a subscription to its expansions, if you want. Just set that in preferences.

I've looked for it before but it didn't occur to me that it could be "Member Item"... that is the thing to change to "On", correct?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hit counters are so 1990's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.