Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the game being released to the public now I wanted to give out a few tips and tricks for new players, or people struggling to get their first win.

I will freely admit that I don't have the best win percentage for SR so take these tips with a grain of salt, but they should be a good place to start.

The big key is to have fun. If you want less challenge play one of the easier scenarios. Or give the new player 2 Heroes instead of a Hero and Survivor. Or add a 2nd Search Card to 1-2 Locations at the beginning of the game. But now for the tips.

Survivors:
One of the main keys to the game is managing your Survivors. We have balanced the game so every ability or bad thing that happens to you has multiple ways of dealing with it. The Survivor powers are no different. Don't keep suffering from their negative effects, find the best way to overcome them.

Lets use Susan Davis as an example. She uses 2 Action or takes a wound every time she moves. One of the main keys to dealing with this is keeping her in one place. Send her somewhere with a long threat track and have her use her free Transfer every turn to give away the resources she gathers. Use her in combination with the Hospital or Frieda to deal with those wounds when she does have to move.

How do you deal with a coward like Jose? Send him out alone so he has to take the wounds.

Put the Rashid (the screamer) on with a character that can take some wounds, and/or transfer to him so he runs back to the compound a lot. Let him shoot the Marauders there.

Scouting the Road
Scouting is interesting and will really vary based on the group and gameplay situation. Some people love to know everything they are going to face, while others are content to flip from the deck at the end of the game. Either strategy will work, you just have to know the risks and benefits of each.

Scouting and exploring every tile will let you know exactly what you need at the end of the game, but comes at the cost of Actions. Not just the Actions you see because it takes an Action to use the location, but also Actions to undo the damage done by the Scout and/or Explore(removing wounds, etc). But the benefit is you can use the extra resources you don't need for the card to get heal up, or reroll threat dice, or gain extra actions.

Every road card is unique and all require 5 resources. So cards can range from 1 resource and 4 fuel to 4 resources and 1 fuel. You can use this to your advantage. When you get 2-3 of the same type of Road Card you can assume they will be closer to the middle for resource requirements (5 of each). But if you only have 1 of a specific type of Road card the swing could be much more. If you are going to explore, the singles are the ones to look at first for this reason. Of course that will vary from game to game and situation to situation.

Apocalypse Cards
There are only 16 cards (4 of each type for a reason). We wanted you to calculate the probability of the next card being one thing over another. If you haven't had a War card in a while you better get back to the compound and remove some Marauders.

The harshest Apocalypse Cards are the Famine Cards. I always try to have a food on each character. While they are the harshest, they are also the easiest to prevent. We give you a food at the beginning of the game to help mitigate these cards. Make sure one of your characters takes their free transfer to grab it before going to a location (preferably one with other characters present and no food).

Just because you have the resources to prevent an Apocalypse Card, it doesn't mean you should prevent it. Sometimes the cost is worse than the effect of the Apocalypse. If you have 3 Road Cards that need food, consider not feeding you people at some locations to save that food for the end. You usually have a way to undo the damage like using a med to heal that flipped wound if you don't need as many meds.

Using Resources
Don't be afraid to use the Resources you don't need. If you have extra Food at the end of the game use it for extra Actions. 1 Fuel can get you 4 extra resources at the end of the game if used correctly. But don't waste them if you need them. If you need lots of Meds forego Healing and use the Rest action. Or Fight instead of Shooting to preserve Ammo. These are some of the most important decisions you will have during the game. Most games come down to needing 1-2 more resources. Conserving at the right time will make a big difference.

Conclusion
This was just a few tips to get you started, there is a lot more to explore in the game. Try new challenges as you get better, the Scenarios scale in difficulty choose the appropriate one for the kind of evening you are looking for.

Please feel free to add your own tips, or make your own strategy article, this certainly isn't meant to be the "end all" of strategy guides, it is just a good place to start. Explore, have fun, try wacky things. Most importantly, get the colony to Salvation at all costs!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GenCon update. Here are some more tips that I saw during GenCon 2016. This will go into a little more depth, so only use this if you are really struggling. These 2 tips should get you to 1/3 to 1/2 win rate at normal difficulty. These are really big hints, so only read if you want really big hints

Moving
Try to move as little as possible. I know the Threat Phase is a big deterrent to staying out in the wilds, but you are on a clock here and every move you make is a potential Search or Gather. Lets look at the first 3 turns of the game for a character to see the efficiency of staying out.

Staying Out
Turn 1: Move, Gather, Threat
Turn 2: Gather, Gather, Threat
Turn 3: Gather, Move, Free Transfer to Truck
4 Resources on the Truck, 2 Threat Rolls

Moving Back
Turn 1: Move, Gather, Threat
Turn 2: Gather, Move, Free Transfer to Truck
Turn 3: Move, Gather, Threat
2 Resources on the Truck, 1 Resource on your character, 2 Threat Rolls

That is 1/3 less recourses at the best. In 3 of the possible 11 Turns. Typically people only lose by 1-2 resources, this is a big deal. Worse yet, you aren't facing any less Threat rolls. And you can have other characters use their free transfer to send them back with more items. Every move action is 1 less search or gather.

Grouping Up
This is another way to help keep your characters alive. Imagine you have 2 Characters and 2 locations with 2 Threat each. If you send one to each location you will roll 6 Threat Dice (3 per location, 1 for the character + 2 for the Threat Level). Now imaging they went to the same location. You only roll 4 Threat Dice (2 characters + 2 Threat Level). Not only that, but you decide who takes the Wounds instead of them spreading randomly. Giving 3 Wounds to 1 character is great. 1 Med heals them all. Pestilence comes up, only 1 character has to flip wounds not 2.

Another benefit of grouping up is you can use your free Transfer. Giving all the resources to the character you don't plan on giving wounds to is a great idea (see moving above). Now instead of moving two characters you are only moving one. Have the person search who is giving the items so they don't acquire them too often and they can stay out forever (or until you need them to move).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyGoose wrote:
We give you a food at the beginning of the game to help mitigate these cards.

Say what?! I often mutter under my breath on these forums when (to me) obvious and clear rules are questioned, missed or needed to be clarified for various games.... seems I'm no exception.

Thought I'd read and understood all the rules pretty easily, plus I've also read this exact message a couple of times too. And never did I pick up about the free starting food item. Just checked and yep, there it is in the set up blurb.

Wow, happens to us all! Learnt my lesson, especially as my last solo game I got screwed on the 4th and final road card, when it flipped to reveal.. yep, you guessed it... food. And I was (yup) 1 short.

Thanks for the heads up! I won't know if I'd have broken my winless streak* with your awesome game - but I do know to empathise with missed rules from others in future!

Cheers, Steve

* my win/loss ratio for solo games using 3 players (so 6 characters) is 0-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. M. That is definately a win. Now time for the harder scenarios .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.