Subject: FLGS and Running Tabs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Even though I've never run up a tab at my FLGS, I noticed that some other people do. Have you ever run up a tab at a FLGS or do you know other FGLS that offer tabs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Stupid business practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving people credit on low-ish priced luxury goods is just a terrrrrrrible idea. What possible "need" could they have to actually have a specific thing that couldn't wait until a few days later?

I mean a small loan between friends I can understand, but when it's a business-customer relationship that's just a recipe for disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never done it, but I think I knew some people that were running up a tab for their drinks and snacks. There was no official tab as far as I know, but someone must have kept track of it. The people running up the tab seemed like pretty honest guys and they were super regular to the store, so they would, of course, want to be welcome back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is this store located? I would like to teach them a lesson on free market capitalism. Or if they need an enforcer hit me up for my digits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
I've never done it, but I think I knew some people that were running up a tab for their drinks and snacks.

Ah I didn't think of a tab for that stuff when I made my, uh, condemnation.

That stuff I could see. But really a better method would be an up-front credit, rather than a pay-later. Hand $20 up front like "Hey tell me when this is done."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
Where is this store located? I would like to teach them a lesson on free market capitalism. Or if they need an enforcer hit me up for my digits.

Sadly, the store I mentioned is no longer around, but I'm positive it had nothing to do with a few customers running a small tab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have a tab at a store, but I was a distributor as well and allowed the tab to go both ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a game cafe in my city that uses tabs. They must be paid same day and they are also just used for snacks and drinks. I think the owner does it mainly because if people are paying with a credit card, he wants them to hit a minimum so he isn't losing money on fees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen a store that I've shopped at do this. It's always pay when you purchase and special orders require half down on the items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do it for drinks and snacks on game nights pretty commonly.

I do allow it for larger transactions on a case-by-case basis with many of my customers, but it is not where they have a tab because they can't afford it, but rather situations where it's convenient - forgotten wallet, short a few dollars in cash, etc. We just put a negative in-store-credit on their account, and they can take care of it later.

It's not a bad business practice - quite the contrary. it gives my customers yet one more reason why they scoff at shopping online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:

There are plenty of other ways you can steal from stores - don't feel limited to just this one area. The sky is the limit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Dragoonkin wrote:
colmustard21 wrote:
I've never done it, but I think I knew some people that were running up a tab for their drinks and snacks.

That stuff I could see. But really a better method would be an up-front credit, rather than a pay-later. Hand $20 up front like "Hey tell me when this is done."

A local game store sells $5 snack cards. You get 20 slots on the card and the store owner punches a hole in it for every $0.25 of snacks or drinks you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azmod2000 wrote:
Dragoonkin wrote:
colmustard21 wrote:

A local game store sells $5 snack cards. You get 20 slots on the card and the store owner punches a hole in it for every $0.25 of snacks or drinks you buy.

That's a great idea, and is an easy way to deal with this proactively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ligon
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne Schulatz wrote:
There is a game cafe in my city that uses tabs. They must be paid same day and they are also just used for snacks and drinks….

This is the same for a nearby game store… still going strong... in my region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember years ago a store I used to go to play Warhammer would let people put stuff on a tab. The owner was way too trusting and would let people buy whole armies in an attempt to jump start the player base there. He got ripped off for a pretty good amount by a few of those people that "moved away" and never came back to pay for stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Party Hats wrote:
I remember years ago a store I used to go to play Warhammer would let people put stuff on a tab. The owner was way too trusting and would let people buy whole armies in an attempt to jump start the player base there. He got ripped off for a pretty good amount by a few of those people that "moved away" and never came back to pay for stuff.

I've been to one FLGS where the most they do is ask if you've bought certain games with them when handing out complimentary promos for those games. Otherwise, yeah, wouldn't start a tab at a bar, and I wouldn't want to do one when buying from a FLGS either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.