Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can British March into a blockaded city from an adjacent area?

In the procedure for the player aid, it looks like they can:
"Move any British Regulars onto an adjacent space ~or~ <other stuff about blockaded cities>"

However, the player aid location also says:

In (1.9) in the rules:
No British March to that City or Provinces adjacent to that
City (unless destination space is adjacent to starting space).

In (3.2.3) in the rules:
March Commands may move cubes and locate
Militia. Select any spaces (except a Blockaded City) as destinations.

It looks like the exception in 1.9 applies only if the destination is not a blockaded city? My intuition tells me a march to a blockaded city should be allowed from an adjacent space, but I think this is not what the rules intend.

I am hoping to get a final ruling. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Razler
msg tools
Yes - Per the March command they can always move to an adjacent space. The blockade limits using the city to transit through to another city or province.

"PROCEDURE: Move any British Regulars onto an adjacent
space (1.3.6) or, if moving units are in or adjacent to a
City (not Blockaded), to another City (not Blockaded) or a
Province adjacent to it."

The "or" is the clarifying word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
razlerja wrote:
Yes - Per the March command they can always move to an adjacent space. The blockade limits using the city to transit through to another city or province.

"PROCEDURE: Move any British Regulars onto an adjacent
space (1.3.6) or, if moving units are in or adjacent to a
City (not Blockaded), to another City (not Blockaded) or a
Province adjacent to it."

The "or" is the clarifying word.

Yep -- I see that, and I understand the OR.

However, directly above that is the limitation on Location which I cited, which seems to imply blockaded cities can never be selected.

So, to me, the ~or~ in the procedure does not remove all confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randall fischer

Warren
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they can. Otherwise how would they ever get there? The first phrase answers your question. Move any British regulars onto an adjacent space.

The next part, "or if moving units are in or adjacent to a city (not blockaded)" is the if in the if/then statement that follows. The then being, "move to another city (not blockaded) or a province adjacent to it.

The first part allows movement to any adjacent territory without restriction. However, IF the regulars are adjacent to or in a non-blockaded city, THEN they may move to another non-blockaded city or a space adjacent to it.

Essentially, this represents the regulars moving, and catching a boat to another city or area near a city. A blockade would prevent this. A blockade would do very little to stop a ground advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaplainCassius wrote:
Yes, they can. Otherwise how would they ever get there?

They would not be allowed to enter the city until the blockade was lifted.

I agree that the procedure on the British reference card would allow it, but I still think the rules are unclear. I think the Location restriction on the reference card, as well as the rules stated in 3.2.3 prohibit any March into a blockaded city.
3.2.3 March. March Commands may move cubes and locate
Militia. Select any spaces (except a Blockaded City) as destinations.

If you cannot select a blockaded city as a destination, how can you march to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mike; the rules, as written (both on the play aid and the rules themselves), clearly state that a blockaded city may not be selected for a destination of March Command. Citing rationales of why it ought to be different doesn't change that. Maybe it's part of the design intent; maybe it's not--hopefully Harold will weigh in on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_salad wrote:

Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hankhankhank wrote:
egg_salad wrote:

Yes

There it is. Thank you! I would suggest a clarification to the restriction on March location destination spaces, maybe something like this:

3.2.3 March. March Commands may move cubes and locate
Militia. Select any spaces (except a Blockaded City) as destinations. A blockaded city can only be selected as a destination if the troops are moving into it from an adjacent space.

On the player aid card:
Location: Any Spaces (Except Blockaded City when using city to city movement. Blockaded cities can be selected as destinations when the march is from an adjacent area.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is fixed by eliminating the "(except a Blockaded City)" in the location - same effect but simpler?

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hankhankhank wrote:
I think this is fixed by eliminating the "(except a Blockaded City)" in the location - same effect but simpler?

Thoughts?

That's definitely an improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hankhankhank wrote:

Thoughts?

Perhaps changing it to (Blockaded City restricted) or something similar would be a nice way of flagging the restrictions at a glance? Though I think it's pretty clear from the remainder of the instruction on the play-aid and rules that blockaded cities are more limiting for march than non-blockaded cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.