Subject: The GOP platform on abortion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: But_Obama_Did_it! [+] [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yesterday the Republican Party at its national convention adopted its 2016 Platform (full text). This is the third in a series of posts that focus on Platform provisions dealing with moral values and religious liberty. Note that the excerpt continues after the jump. Here is the lengthy Platform section titled The Fifth Amendment: Protecting Human Life:

The Constitution’s guarantee that no one can “be deprived of life, liberty or property” deliberately echoes the Declaration of Independence’s proclamation that “all” are “endowed by their Creator” with the inalienable right to life. Accordingly, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to children before birth.

We oppose the use of public funds to perform or promote abortion or to fund organizations, like Planned Parenthood, so long as they provide or refer for elective abortions or sell fetal body parts rather than provide healthcare. We urge all states and Congress to make it a crime to acquire, transfer, or sell fetal tissues from elective abortions for research, and we call on Congress to enact a ban on any sale of fetal body parts. In the meantime, we call on Congress to ban the practice of misleading women on so-called fetal harvesting consent forms, a fact revealed by a 2015 investigation. We will not fund or subsidize healthcare that includes abortion coverage.
We support the appointment of judges who respect traditional family values and the sanctity of innocent human life. We oppose the non-consensual withholding or withdrawal of care or treatment, including food and water, from individuals with disabilities, newborns, the elderly, or the infirm, just as we oppose euthanasia and assisted suicide.

We affirm our moral obligation to assist, rather than penalize, women who face an unplanned pregnancy. In order to encourage women who face an unplanned pregnancy to choose life, we support legislation that requires financial responsibility for the child be equally borne by both the mother and father upon conception until the child reaches adulthood. Failure to require a father to be equally responsible for a child places an inequitable burden on the mother, creating a financial and social hardship on both mother and child. We celebrate the millions of Americans who open their hearts, homes, and churches to mothers in need and women fleeing abuse. We thank and encourage providers of counseling, medical services, and adoption assistance for empowering women experiencing an unintended pregnancy to choose life. We support funding for ultrasounds and adoption assistance. We salute the many states that now protect women and girls through laws requiring informed consent, parental consent, waiting periods, and clinic regulation. We condemn the Supreme Court’s activist decision in Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt striking down commonsense Texas laws providing for basic health and safety standards in abortion clinics.

We applaud the U.S. House of Representatives for leading the effort to add enforcement to the Born-Alive Infant Protection Act by passing the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act, which imposes appropriate civil and criminal penalties on healthcare providers who fail to provide treatment and care to an infant who survives an abortion, including early induction delivery whether the death of the infant is intended. We strongly oppose infanticide. Over a dozen states have passed Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Acts prohibiting abortion after twenty weeks, the point at which current medical research shows that unborn babies can feel excruciating pain during abortions, and we call on Congress to enact the federal version. Not only is it good legislation, but it enjoys the support of a majority of the American people. We support state and federal efforts against the cruelest forms of abortion, especially dismemberment abortion procedures, in which unborn babies are literally torn apart limb from limb.

We call on Congress to ban sex-selection abortions and abortions based on disabilities — discrimination in its most lethal form. We oppose embryonic stem cell research. We oppose federal funding of embryonic stem cell research. We support adult stem cell research and urge the restoration of the national placental stem cell bank created by President George H.W. Bush but abolished by his Democrat successor, President Bill Clinton. We oppose federal funding for harvesting embryos and call for a ban on human cloning.
The Democratic Party is extreme on abortion. Democrats’ almost limitless support for abortion, and their strident opposition to even the most basic restrictions on abortion, put them dramatically out of step with the American people. Because of their opposition to simple abortion clinic safety procedures, support for taxpayer-funded abortion, and rejection of pregnancy resource centers that provide abortion alternatives, the old Clinton mantra of “safe, legal, and rare” has been reduced to just “legal.” We are proud to be the party that protects human life and offers real solutions for women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seem a lot more mild then I had anticipated.

Not a fan of this line,
Quote:
We call on Congress to ban sex-selection abortions and abortions based on disabilities — discrimination in its most lethal form.

Margaret Sanger just rolled over in hell somewhere after hearing about that line.

they could have got more mileage with a simple change that I had proposed.But Republicans lack the courage to do it.

Quote:
We call on Congress to ban sex-selection abortions and abortions based on disabilities and sexual identity — discrimination in its most lethal form.

Adding Sexual Identity would have made the mainstream media ask wtf ? At which time the GOP could have mentioned that with the possibility of a gay gene, we don't want parents to abort children based on sexual identity when or if it comes up. This would have shifted the topic back onto Democrats who are for aborting gay children. It would have been a much better card to play down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
The Republicans against abortion?? Next you're gonna tell me the sky is blue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting.

One question, one comment:
Q - the platform provision refers to funding for ultrasounds. Is this related to anti-abortion legislation that requires a woman considering an abortion be shown an ultrasound of her fetus? If so, it seems pretty indirect. If it is for some onther reason, it seems out of place.

C - I don't have a problem with the ban on human cloning, but I would like a related provision stating that a human clone has the same rights as any other human being. I am concerned that at some time in the future human clones may face the same (or worse) discrimination and lack of legal rights that bastards faced in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Not a fan of this line,
Quote:
We call on Congress to ban sex-selection abortions and abortions based on disabilities — discrimination in its most lethal form.

Margaret Sanger just rolled over in hell somewhere after hearing about that line.

they could have got more mileage with a simple change that I had proposed.But Republicans lack the courage to do it.

Quote:
We call on Congress to ban sex-selection abortions and abortions based on disabilities and sexual identity — discrimination in its most lethal form.

Adding Sexual Identity would have made the mainstream media ask wtf ? At which time the GOP could have mentioned that with the possibility of a gay gene, we don't want parents to abort children based on sexual identity when or if it comes up. This would have shifted the topic back onto Democrats who are for aborting gay children. It would have been a much better card to play down the road.

Sanger is rolling over in nowhere but I do know where hell would exist on Earth. A world where abortion for ANY reason was illegal. (where this plank would eventually move toward if given 1/2 a chance)

Democrats want to abort gay babies? I missed that one in the left-wing membership guide they gave me. Maybe the lack of cake access might force some parents to make bad decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
jonb wrote:
The Democratic Party is extreme on abortion. Democrats’ almost limitless support for abortion, and their strident opposition to even the most basic restrictions on abortion, put them dramatically out of step with the American people. Because of their opposition to simple abortion clinic safety procedures, support for taxpayer-funded abortion, and rejection of pregnancy resource centers that provide abortion alternatives, the old Clinton mantra of “safe, legal, and rare” has been reduced to just “legal.” We are proud to be the party that protects human life and offers real solutions for women.

This is exactly correct.

Not really "safe, legal and rare " includes the word safe. Abortions have been medically very safe for women for many years now, despite Texas's efforts to portray it as otherwise in their latest efforts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
Abortions have been medically very safe for women for many years now, despite Texas's efforts to portray it as otherwise in their latest efforts.

Exactly https://goo.gl/wto77X

Well, safe for the willing participants , the unwilling ones.. not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Democrats want to abort gay babies?

The Democrat Party supports abortion at any time for any reason up until the moment of birth. If you discover a "gay gene" and it turns out your child will be carrying it, if you want to abort the child during week 39 because you don't want a gay baby, the Democrat Party supports you.

By that you and Jeremy mean a percentage of a percentage. Find me liberals who would abort a baby for being gay and ill eat my words.

If science finds a "gay gene" will religious zealots STFU OR will they continue to blow the anti-gay dog whistle under the guise of "religious liberty"? Will they abandon crap like gay is a lifestyle and be "prayed away"?

I doubt it. Denying science is the only chance at relevancy they have left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
jonb wrote:
Abortions have been medically very safe for women for many years now, despite Texas's efforts to portray it as otherwise in their latest efforts.

Sure, you're going to have outliers in every endeavor or even every medical procedure. Hell, if you googled hard enough you could probably find cases of dentists who have been shitty practitioners and caused major damage medically speaking, but that doesn't automatically make dentistry when properly performed any less safe for the general population. If you look up injury rates or complications from the millions of abortions that happen every year you will see there is a low rate of such compared to other comparably complex medical procedures. Try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
jonb wrote:
We are proud to be the party that protects human life and offers real solutions for women.
So a back-alley abortion courtesy of a coat-hanger in the dead of night constitutes "real solutions" these days?
Oh those wacky GOP'ers.
It's a good thing no one listens to a word they say when it comes to "real solutions for women."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
jonb wrote:

Sure, you're going to have outliers in every endeavor or even every medical procedure. Hell, if you googled hard enough you could probably find cases of dentists who have been shitty practitioners and caused major damage medically speaking, but that doesn't automatically make dentistry when properly performed any less safe for the general population. If you look up injury rates or complications from the millions of abortions that happen every year you will see there is a low rate of such compared to other comparably complex medical procedures. Try again.

Jon - do you really not know who Drew is referring to as unwilling participants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
jonb wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
jonb wrote:

Jon - do you really not know who Drew is referring to as unwilling participants?

Sure, the fetus. But Texas wasn't phrasing it that way I their latest efforts. Their whole Shtick was that abortions could only occur with doctors who had admitting rights to a hospital because they were keeping women's health safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Drew1365 wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:

Who?

Yeah, that was Jeremy. Drew is just collateral damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Find me liberals who would abort a baby for being gay and ill eat my words.

Get ready to eat some shit here. Let's do the math. Abortions take place within the black community at much higher rates then other races (Marget Sanger dream come true). The black community is also perhaps the least tolerant to the gay community. 1 + 1 = ?

Should I go on or do you want rethink your dumb statement ?

rcbevco wrote:
If science finds a "gay gene" will religious zealots STFU OR will they continue to blow the anti-gay dog whistle under the guise of "religious liberty"? Will they abandon crap like gay is a lifestyle and be "prayed away"?

Probably, they would switch to speeding up CRSPR and eliminating gay behavior.

fightcitymayor wrote:
So a back-alley abortion courtesy of a coat-hanger in the dead of night constitutes "real solutions" these days?

Find me Republicans who want back alley abortions for women and ill eat my words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:

Who?

Jeremy, of course - got my message strings confused.

My apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
Hell, if you googled hard enough you could probably find cases of dentists who have been shitty practitioners and caused major damage medically speaking, but that doesn't automatically make dentistry when properly performed any less safe for the general population.

Wake me up when a dental accident kills an unborn fetus in the other room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:

. . .
The Constitution’s guarantee that no one can “be deprived of life, liberty or property” deliberately echoes the Declaration of Independence’s proclamation that “all” are “endowed by their Creator” with the inalienable right to life. Accordingly, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to children before birth. . .

It seems like this platform simply opposes all abortion. This is a very extreme position. No exception for the health or life of the mother, and no exception for rape or incest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
jeremycobert wrote:
Get ready to eat some shit here. Let's do the math. Abortions take place within the black community at much higher rates then other races (Marget Sanger dream come true). The black community is also perhaps the least tolerant to the gay community. 1 + 1 = ?

Should I go on or do you want rethink your dumb statement ?

The black community has isolated and identified the gay gene to the point they can tell if a fetus will grow into a gay human being? Wow! Now I'm impressed....not. The higher rate of abortions in the black community has to do with absent or bad parenting, single-parent households, poverty, a culture that does not transmit self-worth but does sexualize young people ... should I go on?

jeremycobert wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Find me Republicans who want back alley abortions for women and ill eat my words.

End result. Ban abortions, and people will still get abortions. The rich ladies will take a day trip to Canada. The poor ones will seek out a butcher who passes him or herself off as an OB/GYN. I grew up before Roe v. Wade. Lots of sad stories about that kind of stuff. So maybe the Republicans aren't explicit in their push for "fallen women to get what they deserve," but it is the end result of such actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Wonder what women think about all us men talking about what women can do with their bodies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
jeremycobert wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Would you like fries with that?

Republican Presidential Nominee Donald J. Trump wrote:
“There has to be some form of punishment…you go back to a position like they had where they would perhaps go to illegal places, but we have to ban it”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

The Democrat Party supports abortion at any time for any reason up until the moment of birth. If you discover a "gay gene" and it turns out your child will be carrying it, if you want to abort the child during week 39 because you don't want a gay baby, the Democrat Party supports you.

By that you and Jeremy mean a percentage of a percentage. Find me liberals who would abort a baby for being gay and ill eat my words.

Doesn't matter if I find one or not. By supporting abortion up until the moment of birth for any reason, the Democrats would support this. It's the logical outcome of their platform.

Very few Western nations have such an extreme position on abortion. Our abortion policy matches that of China - a nation known for forcing abortions.

If the R's would just put forth some common sense abortion regulations I think you'd be amazed how popular it would be (me included). But NOPE without this issue to opine the platform would be one plank short of a compelling platform.

I note you dodged my other questions... afraid of the answer? Maybe the flawless one made a "gay" mistake in his creation and hates them for being created that way OR maybe the STtOS logic loop would cause NOMAD to self destruct. Who knows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Ban abortions, and people will still get abortions.

Ban guns and people will still get guns, cant we just work to limit the amount of guns .. oh wait wrong rant, replace guns with abortion.

How about a compromise that federally funds abortions. We ban abortions up until age 18.

So at age 18 if the mother agrees to abort her 18 year old child and the 18 year old child agrees that they should have been aborted , then we allow the 18 year old to be legally abort themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

Proof? Citations?

Where has the Democratic party actually called for an expansion to the Roe v. Wade decision?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
jeremycobert wrote:
So at age 18 if the mother agrees to abort her 18 year old child and the 18 year old child agrees that they should have been aborted , then we allow the 18 year old to be legally abort themselves.

Is that like if we allow gay marriage, then people will want to marry their goat or their hamster?

I guess the real question is: do you trust the government or the individual? If you trust the government, then yes, let the government tell you once a woman gets pregnant, she will be required under penalty of law to carry that child to term regardless of her wishes, her personal situation, and the manner in which the pregnancy occurred. And if you give the government that power, then it can tell women of certain backgrounds or cultures they cannot have ANY children, while white women will be required under penalty of law to have X amount of children.

Or we could leave it to the individual to decide what is best for her given her personal situation, etc. and let them decide in private. That's my view.

Who's the one backing big government now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Not a fan of this line,
Quote:

Quote:

They can't go there right now -- they're simultaneously arguing against LGBT marriage.

Which is slightly confusing, but perhaps it gets them more votes in the long run, despite 47% approval overall.

We might see it in the future, it would make sense as a wedge issue in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.