$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: 2 or 4 characters for a 2-player campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Davies
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

With the reprint of PL my wife and I are finally going to experience the magic, and I'll be ordering my copy in the next few days. We are familiar with the base game, having played it around six or seven times with five epidemic cards and winning a majority of our plays.

As we prepare to tackle the campaign, we are trying to decide if we want to play the game with two characters or four. We often play with four when it is just the two of us (we like the fact that we have more abilities and can cover more ground), but because we will be personalizing our characters this time out I didn't know if it would be more effective to stick with two that would be more "our own."

So my question is...are there any up or downsides to playing the game with more or less characters? For those of you that controlled multiple characters, do you have any regrets? Any suggestions you experienced PL players can give will be much appreciated! Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Two.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Grant

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the original Pandemic, it is significantly easier with only 2 players (each playing one character). I definitely recommend each of you playing 2. The game is much more balanced with 4.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirjam Molenkamp
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
We played three cahracters between the two of us (one designated as "ghost"). We finished december tonight (we won!). I won't spoil.....

With two, you can't cover enough ground (there are to many places that need help while there's nobody near), but with four, the situation has signifiacntly changed by the time it's your turn again.

A few games we played with four, but we liked playing three the best. It also gives you more flexibility in choosing what characters you want this game.

Enjoy! (we definitely did!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah B
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Penfold: Have you got something clever up your sleeve, DM? Dangermouse: Only my arm, Penfold, and that's no cleverer than the rest of me.
mbmbmbmbmb
mirjam wrote:
We played three cahracters between the two of us (one designated as "ghost").


This is how we played as well, and found the game gave us plenty of reasons to care about 'ghost' characters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mirjam wrote:

With two, you can't cover enough ground (there are to many places that need help while there's nobody near), but with four, the situation has signifiacntly changed by the time it's your turn again.


I didn't find this to be the case at all. We played the campaign with 2 characters and only lost 2 games (September was a jerk).

I thought 2 characters was a great experience, and I would recommend it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaMike wrote:
mirjam wrote:

With two, you can't cover enough ground (there are to many places that need help while there's nobody near), but with four, the situation has signifiacntly changed by the time it's your turn again.


I didn't find this to be the case at all. We played the campaign with 2 characters and only lost 2 games (September was a jerk).

I thought 2 characters was a great experience, and I would recommend it.


Agreed. With 2 you certainly can cover enough ground - if you make that your priority. Worked beautifully, I think we lost 2 months on the first try.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm half-way through in a 2-player game with my girlfriend, and we've been playing 2 characters the whole time. It's been working fine, although there have been points where we'd like to play more in order to have a better range of abilities. We haven't (yet), since Nicole's not an experience gamer and the continuous new rules are enough that adding in controlling multiple characters as well might overwhelm her, but if you're experienced at running multiple characters each, you may appreciate playing with more.

Basically, it's fine whichever you choose. Note that you're not restricted to using the same characters from month to month, so there's not huge personal attachment to "your" character - it's more attachment to the team of individuals that you're controlling, and that will apply whether you're playing two, three or four at a time.

And it's also worth mentioning that there's nothing stopping you changing how many characters you play with from month to month. Feel free to vary it up and see what you like in the early months, and what you feel best for the later months! Of course, then you start getting into questions of which step of the setup you have to decide exact character counts for, but that's another matter...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Davies
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
I'm half-way through in a 2-player game with my girlfriend, and we've been playing 2 characters the whole time. It's been working fine, although there have been points where we'd like to play more in order to have a better range of abilities. We haven't (yet), since Nicole's not an experience gamer and the continuous new rules are enough that adding in controlling multiple characters as well might overwhelm her, but if you're experienced at running multiple characters each, you may appreciate playing with more.

Basically, it's fine whichever you choose. Note that you're not restricted to using the same characters from month to month, so there's not huge personal attachment to "your" character - it's more attachment to the team of individuals that you're controlling, and that will apply whether you're playing two, three or four at a time.

And it's also worth mentioning that there's nothing stopping you changing how many characters you play with from month to month. Feel free to vary it up and see what you like in the early months, and what you feel best for the later months! Of course, then you start getting into questions of which step of the setup you have to decide exact character counts for, but that's another matter...


I appreciate the points you make here, Simon. I was thinking that because there was character advancement we'd be married to the same characters through the whole run, but it's good to know that we have the option to change things up as we go.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mundanesoul wrote:
we'd be married to the same characters through the whole run,


Do not think this. Situations change.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.