Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur L
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My work game group asked me bring Munchkin for this evening's game night, so I dusted off my copy of Munchkin Deluxe and am refamiliarizing myself with the rules.

Like a thousand gamers before me, I want to address the game length and chaos a little bit to make the experience more fun and maybe breath some life into this game that has been shunned by my regular game group.

Here are a couple rules I came up with:

1) Everyone starts with a race and class, assigned randomly.

I'd separate out the race and class cards, shuffle each into a race and class deck, and hand out one of each at the start of the game. The rest of the classes and races get shuffled back into the deck like normal so they can still be drawn during the game.

I feel like this would help each player have some sort of identity, and some special abilities right off the bat. It's would balance things out a bit too, instead of relying on the luck of the draw.

2) When facing a monster, each player, in turn, can play exactly one card from their hand to help or hinder the active player.

I'm picturing this sort of like the crisis skill checks in BSG. Instead of the players haphazardly playing cards left and right, each would have one opportunity (with lots of table talk of course) to play in and either help or hinder the current player. The current player plays their cards last, so they can see the full extent of the challenge in front of them.

I thought it might be also be fun to have those contributions played face-down, adding a bit of a bluffing mechanism to the game. Sure Greg said he was going to double the difficulty of the monster Alice is facing, but he may be saving that card to screw me. I better play mine just in case because Tim could win!

Any thoughts in these? It has been years since I played, so the more avid Munchkin players might see some problems here that I'm not recognizing. I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait... all the smack you talk about Sentinels of the Multiverse and Galaxy Trucker being terrible games, and you're playing MUNCHKIN?

You, sir, have lost all credibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur L
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:
Wait... all the smack you talk about Sentinels of the Multiverse and Galaxy Trucker being terrible games, and you're playing MUNCHKIN?

Thanks buddy!

MUNCHKIN isn't pretending to be a strategic, balanced, well-designed game though. Can't say the same about FIDDLY UNINTUITIVE CARD INTERACTIONS WITH AWFUL ART and VLAADA'S OOPS I FORGOT TO DESIGN A GAME BUT SHIP BUILDING IS KINDA FUN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GCPDblue wrote:
JesterPoet wrote:

Thanks buddy!

MUNCHKIN isn't pretending to be a strategic, balanced, well-designed game though. Can't say the same about FIDDLY UNINTUITIVE CARD INTERACTIONS WITH AWFUL ART and VLAADA'S OOPS I FORGOT TO DESIGN A GAME BUT SHIP BUILDING IS KINDA FUN.

Nice try, but you know you've lost this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
United States
Eagan
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:

I agree completely. However, those are also crap games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur L
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AladdinSane wrote:
JesterPoet wrote:

You're not wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mb
Your houserule # 1 is okay; you could also give every player a larger starthand, vide the rules.
Your houserule # 2 however, is against the spirit of the game. Munchkin is inherently chaotic. Players should realise and accept that there is only a very short window for playing cards in combat. Also, by playing face down, you take away the opportunity to react to others cardplay, (and there lies most of the fun in Munchkin)

We are playing mostly Munchkin bites or Munchkin Booty, because with all the expansions the original Munchkin decks have become way to large.

My humble opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GCPDblue wrote:
AladdinSane wrote:
JesterPoet wrote:

You're not wrong.

Well, at the very least, it's nice to see that the BSG fanboys all stick together.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Please note that Arthur and I have known each other for a LONG time, and this is all in good fun. Also, Arthur has terrible judgment when it comes to games, so you really can't trust any opinions he offers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

First, make sure you're using the latest rules and employ the "listening at the door" optional rule. Early versions had you draw two cards from each at start. Drawing four from each was originally a "fast play" variant that became standard after a couple of years.

Then, in 2009 this Daily Illuminator introduced "Listening at the Door"

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/2009-10-16

This was also a speeder upper and many, many serious players always use this rule.

Here's a link to some Fast Play rules from the World of Munchkin site, they may help.

http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/fastplay.html

As for your ideas, I think that #1 will be covered by starting with four cards and Listening At The Door. #2 will take a lot of fun out of the game, particularly the endgame.

Munchkin is interesting in that some people take two hours to play, while others are done in forty five minutes. Rules changes aren't necessary to finish in a lunch hour, just an agreement that you're not going to dally too badly.

The people I've talked to who take two to two and a half hours to play Munchkin really, really enjoy it that way, BTW, so before anyone gets all superior about it remember that they're having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.