Subject: Possible Palaces & Oasis Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
CAVEAT: I have the updated English printing that came with Fakirs already inside the box.

On the player aid it has the symbol of the Oasis with a triangle pointing to 3 VPs. The same goes for the Palace with a triangle pointing to 5 VPs.

However, the rulebook has a front slash inside the triangle. I have always taken the front slash as meaning "either/or." The rulebook clearly states that the action is ignored if the supply runs out. However, what if a player was able to take 3 VPs or 5 VPs in the form of GCs rather than placing a Palace or Oasis token? Or receiving GCs if the supply ran out?

I am not sure if this would imbalance the game, but seeing that little front slash made me curious. I would love to hear any comments of what other geeks think. I have only played the game a couple times now and I may not be seeing the upside or downside of such a variant. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Placing a palace or a tree doesn't necessarily benefit the player that places it - you have to also own the tile it's placed on at the end of the game. So taking coins instead wouldn't work because the player would benefit (and in such a way that could be spent!) when perhaps they shouldn't.

Maybe you could think about placing the coins on the tile instead, as an indicator of points only, but I think the limitation of these components is supposed to be part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.