Subject: Preview of The Gilded Blade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has posted a Preview of The Gilded Blade expansion:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/19/outfitt...

Seems interesting. There is another new symbol tactics which lets you copy another tokens ability. Overall the Red Scorpion seems powerful to me.

The assets also use the tactics ability in the D asset set.

I am excited.

Also in stores August 4th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonello Piemonte
Germany
munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Outfitted for adventure indeed ... cool ... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
el Bebok
Poland
flag msg tools
Red Scorpion seems overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
el Bebok wrote:

I agree both her skills are extremely useful and the copy token seems quite powerful in itself let alone combined with the skill of eliminating another players/enemy's token. Probably should start with 0 gold or maybe needs to be the case where she only has 2 terrain dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
cranky_hobbit wrote:
el Bebok wrote:

I agree both her skills are extremely useful and the copy token seems quite powerful in itself let alone combined with the skill of eliminating another players/enemy's token. Probably should start with 0 gold or maybe needs to be the case where she only has 2 terrain dice?

I'm always fascinated by how a simple glance at a character (or any game component) is enough to decide it needs to be changed despite quite a few months of testing lead to his/her actual state
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
cranky_hobbit wrote:
el Bebok wrote:

I'm always fascinated by how a simple glance at a character (or any game component) is enough to decide it needs to be changed despite quite a few months of testing lead to his/her actual state

Yeah, but, y'know - it's obvious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vende Vendetta
Spain
santiago de compostela
A CORUñA
flag msg tools
Overpowered? I dont think so. Its pretty streamline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
While I appreciate new symbols added, I question the decision of adding the new symbol onto starter runes of the expansion hero. I feel like with more expansion added, the core heros will start to fade away....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Altasia wrote:
While I appreciate new symbols added, I question the decision of adding the new symbol onto starter runes of the expansion hero. I feel like with more expansion added, the core heros will start to fade away....

I don't necessarily agree, but I do have concerns with adding new symbols in general.

My biggest concern reading that article was that Red Scorpion's power level will be stronger if you use the new items stack that also grant Tactics tokens, but much weaker if you use any other item sets, since she can only use the Tactics token she starts with in that case.

At least she will always have her own token, so in the worst case, she can theoretically her ability 50% of the time, which means her abilities won't be useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
Altasia wrote:

I don't necessarily agree, but I do have concerns with adding new symbols in general.

My biggest concern reading that article was that Red Scorpion's power level will be stronger if you use the new items stack that also grant Tactics tokens, but much weaker if you use any other item sets, since she can only use the Tactics token she starts with in that case.

At least she will always have her own token, so in the worst case, she can theoretically her ability 50% of the time, which means her abilities won't be useless.

You can only use 1 Tactics token at a time, I believe. So there's no real need to build a stock of them, in fact that could be counter productive as you won't have enough options for copying and will be forced to spend 1 token at a time.

Tactics are flexible, but slow and limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
cranky_hobbit wrote:
el Bebok wrote:

Seems really, really strong to me. But maybe that's because she's just more my sort of character in the first place. Control, questing, and skills are my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
You can only use 1 Tactics token at a time, I believe. So there's no real need to build a stock of them, in fact that could be counter productive as you won't have enough options for copying and will be forced to spend 1 token at a time.

Sure, but I was referring to the variance in her power level, specifically in reference to Outmaneuver: "As Red Scorpion, you can trigger Outmaneuver whenever you spend a tactics symbol—exerting to remove the copied token from the game! Though you won’t always be copying your opponent’s tokens, when you do you can adapt your strategy and counter your opponent in a single, perfect stroke."

So, the more Tactics tokens she has available, the more opportunities she has to land Tactics sides on the flip, and the more often she can exert to remove enemy tokens from the game, making her that much more effective in combat!

But if you don't use the new items when playing as her, this opportunity is not available to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
Orion3T wrote:

Sure, but I was referring to the variance in her power level, specifically in reference to Outmaneuver: "As Red Scorpion, you can trigger Outmaneuver whenever you spend a tactics symbol—exerting to remove the copied token from the game! Though you won’t always be copying your opponent’s tokens, when you do you can adapt your strategy and counter your opponent in a single, perfect stroke."

So, the more Tactics tokens she has available, the more opportunities she has to land Tactics sides on the flip, and the more often she can exert to remove enemy tokens from the game, making her that much more effective in combat!

But if you don't use the new items when playing as her, this opportunity is not available to you.

Fair enough!

While my comment above still applies (even Red Scorpion can have too many - since you need to exert her uses of Outmanoevre are limited) I agree at least 1 extra Tactics symbol from gear is a bit more of a priority with regards to Red Scorpion.

But even without any more being available, since she starts with a Tactics of her own she will already to trigger it roughly every 2 rounds. More than that and it's going to burn a lot of skills. So I don't see why she would be remotely hampered without it. Perhaps not optimal, but that will likely emerge with most characters, some will want Axe-heavy decks etc.

Note her Tactics is on the opposite side of her 2 Axe symbol, so she cannot by default copy her own best token. And with Tactics in general if the opponent rolls garbage, you can only copy/Outmanoeuvre garbage.

Only playing the character will truly tell though.

It will also depend what stage during setup the asset decks are determined - if they are determined first then people know what the assets are when they are choosing. If not, and you consider more Tactics symbols a necessity, then you're taking a risk choosing her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Red Scorpion is powerful, but not to powerful.

Her weakness is her 8 health and slow abilities. Tactics is slow, and her 2 abilities are slow. With 8 health she will often be in a position on round 2 where she needs to hit fast to win.

Outmaneuver is nice, but if you lose initiative you will not get their best token.

As for the basic heroes being outclassed, I don't see that yet.

Lyssa is a very strong hero, and she will always will be. I also feel that Jonas the Kind seems weak to me.

In general I think the balance is good so far with the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Fair enough!

While my comment above still applies (even Red Scorpion can have too many - since you need to exert her uses of Outmanoevre are limited) I agree at least 1 extra Tactics symbol from gear is a bit more of a priority with regards to Red Scorpion.

But even without any more being available, since she starts with a Tactics of her own she will already to trigger it roughly every 2 rounds. More than that and it's going to burn a lot of skills. So I don't see why she would be remotely hampered without it. Perhaps not optimal, but that will likely emerge with most characters, some will want Axe-heavy decks etc.

Note her Tactics is on the opposite side of her 2 Axe symbol, so she cannot by default copy her own best token. And with Tactics in general if the opponent rolls garbage, you can only copy/Outmanoeuvre garbage.

Only playing the character will truly tell though.

It will also depend what stage during setup the asset decks are determined - if they are determined first then people know what the assets are when they are choosing. If not, and you consider more Tactics symbols a necessity, then you're taking a risk choosing her.

Certainly! I'm not worried about Red Scorpion being too powerful, as may not have been obvious. I think she's fine, maybe even too weak without the new item set.

I suppose my concern was more about "How do I pick which items sets to use?" -- I kind of feel like I should be using the new item set if I'm using Red Scorpion, because of the reasons I was stating earlier.

If each new item set adds something new and different (with varying power levels), picking item sets becomes a "thing" now, where I didn't have the choice before (and in RB2, we just mushed all of the item expansions together anyway, haha).

Maybe it's a non-issue, and I'm not advocating that FFG do things differently. Just a few thoughts on the matter. I'm not sure how I'll decide what to play with in regards to item and skill decks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We know that:

Jonas the Kind (Caught in the Web) has Charge

Red Scorpion (The Gilded Blade) has Tactics

Asset Deck D (The Gilded Blade) has Tactics tokens.

Nancy the Blade (The Mountains Rise) has Charge

My guess is that:
Asset Deck E (The mountains Rise) will have Charge

Zyla (Fall of the Dark Star) will have Tactics

This will balance the new abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:

Do you call him that to his face?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
el Bebok
Poland
flag msg tools
HAHAHA! Nancy! how sweet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Do you call him that to his face?

Yes!

darn autocorrect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Gray
msg tools
I agree. I don't see how this character could be perceived as overpowered from a glance. Most enemy battles don't have tokens worth copying until late in the game, so the special ability isn't terribly useful. With the proper items and skills she certainly could be powerful but I don't see how that's different from any other character. I guess we'll see soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.