Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I love village, having played it about 15 times. In all those plays I've concluded that the travel action is a bit too weak, especially compared to the market and the church. Sadly, I find the travel to be the most fun way to play, but invariably investing the time and resources it in does not pay of well.

I am wondering if the Port makes focusing on travel a more viable option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woods
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a word... yes.
Travelling is far more viable now and more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
I love village, having played it about 15 times. In all those plays I've concluded that the travel action is a bit too weak, especially compared to the market and the church. Sadly, I find the travel to be the most fun way to play, but invariably investing the time and resources it in does not pay of well.

I am wondering if the Port makes focusing on travel a more viable option.

Yes the new travel does help make traveling more viable, however, I would not neglect the market action - if you decide not to use the market, you will probably lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Bakanov
Ukraine
Kharkiv
flag msg tools
Yes, traveling with Port expansion is much more interesting and valuable. Before, I always used market strategy and I was always the winner. In the first game with the expansion I lost to person who was concentrated on traveling, though she almost ignored market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cost of travel is now 1-3 coins (to hire your ship captain) plus the cubes you spend for movement, but you can always move at least one space per turn at no cost, and you can pick up treasure chests for 2-5 coins each and items (tea & cacao) for sale in the market. While you no longer score points at the end of the game for the places you've visited, you can score during the game by dropping off people (to establish missions) or items (e.g. grain, horses or wagons), and of course by filling the Chronicle slots when your travellers die. If you just go for goods (chests, tea & cacao) and nothing else, the cost to pick up 14-18 VPs is lower overall in the expansion by 4 wagons at least, and also slightly less in time and cubes even taking into account the fact you need to sell your goods at market. All in all, it makes travelling more fun and rewarding and is definitely a worthwhile addition to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.