Popular Tags: [View All]
Golden Week 2017 TOKYO bullet KYOTO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
After years listening to 30s/40s/50s OTR, I'm now watching 50s/60s US panel shows. Goodson Toddman produced a slew for the rapidly growing TV market, and I began on the more upmarket What's My Line?, which originally ran from 1950 to 1967. More on this later, because it's a fascinating view of the developing social politics (rock & roll, feminism, anti-communism, space race, civil rights, pro-military) all played out on Sunday night TV.

The whole thing fascinates me, it really does. The type of people and their lines (always sexist stuff like lady barbers or men selling diapers), the way woman are whistled at and the constant coy sexist remarks, the way they dress (furs, jewels, bow ties), the relentless heterosexuality and complete and utter whiteness (Harry Belafonte is the one and only black panellist in the 12 years I've watched so far).

Oh, and they smoke on television. Really surprised whenever I see that (yes, I know already).

And this was one of the top TV shows, Emmy winning, for years and years. It really shows the agenda of public America.

I mention all this because I'm inclined to highlight some shows for you. They put blindfolds onto the panellists for secret guests, and some of them I'm amazed to see. People you'd never think would be on a TV game show. And it's surprising how many big name stars were early 50s and not 60s as I imagined.

It's also an interesting primer on the rise of TV stars. There are old Hollywood and rising names (always plugging their latest release - the only reason they'd fly to the East Coast), there are old Broadway and new club acts, there are singers from all genres. And there are people who appear on TV shows, like Bill Cullen, Faye Emerson, Garry Moore, Steve Allen and wife Jayne Meadows, Ernie Kovacs, Johnny Carson oh and many more. Some of these I knew already, others I had never seen.

Anyway, I watch several WML? each day, but youtube keeps forcing adverts into the playlist. So I have to divert it by watching something else. I jump to a short segment of I've Got A Secret which throws youtube off my scent and then go back to WML?.

Which leads me to Diana Dors on IGAS in 1957.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents never missed that show. The good old days, black and white TV with 4 channels to watch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion (if you care to share it) of "Match Game," when you get to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Cool!

Social Historians (the masochistic ones) will have an even bigger treasure trove when they delve into our era's reality TV.

Is it easier these days to find archived TV? My mom was on Password in the mid-'60s. Ten years ago I half-heartedly tried to get footage by asking the NYC Museum of Broadcasting but came up short. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't taped but maybe I need to try again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Week 2017 TOKYO bullet KYOTO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
Is it easier these days to find archived TV?

Reading around the topics, it's evident that many recordings are lost. Early TV was live of course and recorded on kinescope for rebroadcast on the other coast (because of the 5 hour time difference between East and West coast America). Kinescope was a machine that filmed the TV picture as it was broadcast. For whatever reason, studios dumped these cans of film in later years. Likewise, when tape came in, it was so expensive, it was re-used. But there were plenty of canny people around who realised the commercial value of these shows and maintained archives.

I find it's harder to find stuff like 80s Letterman than 50s shows. Keep looking, keep searching the skies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
shumyum wrote:
Is it easier these days to find archived TV?

Reading around the topics, it's evident that many recordings are lost. Early TV was live of course and recorded on kinescope for rebroadcast on the other coast (because of the 5 hour time difference between East and West coast America). Kinescope was a machine that filmed the TV picture as it was broadcast. For whatever reason, studios dumped these cans of film in later years. Likewise, when tape came in, it was so expensive, it was re-used. But there were plenty of canny people around who realised the commercial value of these shows and maintained archives.

I find it's harder to find stuff like 80s Letterman than 50s shows. Keep looking, keep searching the skies.

Well, I was inspired and based on the guests (Florence Henderson and Lloyd Bridges) the internet helped me pinpoint the week it aired. But Youtube hardly has any old Password clips. Will have to look further afield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
My parents never missed that show. The good old days, black and white TV with 4 channels to watch

You had 4 channels? We only had 3 until PBS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

You had 4 channels? We only had 3 until PBS.

The 4th was PBS - I grew up in Iowa, we were in the lead of all technological advances whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.