Popular Tags: [View All]
David Stoffey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
To the Mountain!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first game of The Mighty Endeavor, and it was fantastic! I'm already getting ready for the next match, but I'll be expanding with the Eastern Front map as well as the small one page expansion of France map. Looking at the new maps, I noticed Brest and Lorient as two real ports. It got me to thinking that would really change the balance of the game, no? Those two ports would be very easy for the allies to take, and once they break out of Normandy, they have 3 attack HQs for effectively the rest of the game (before factoring in Le Havre, Antwerp, and Rotterdam).

In the game I just finished, the Allies had a real hard time before they opened up Le Havre, because having only one attack HQ is a real pain!

So I'm looking for the rules that address Brest and Lorient as ports and can't find any. Surely this really distorts the balance of the game, effectively giving the allies non-stop full supply for every HQ they could want. So where's the rule?

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You still have the delay before they're active, plus they're a bit of a trek from the front.

Brest was like Cherbourg on Steroids, pretty much the whole town was razed in the fighting, let alone the port.

IIRC Lorient was bombed heavily before Overlord as well (both were U-Boat bases).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stoffey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
To the Mountain!
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but there must be rule changes to take this into account? Regardless of the historical impacts behind it, I'd imagine it would unbalance the game.

Perhaps I'm over thinking it and not taking trucks for supply into account, but from what I remember on my last play, I had plenty of excess truck distance, that I think could be run to Brest and Lorient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TME was always meant to be a one-mapper, it was never balanced for the Brittany ports, I think Dean threw it in the expanded version as an untested bonus to satisfy the "what-if" players.

Best way to find out is to play it again, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stoffey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
To the Mountain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah-ha! The light just went off above my head. I will have to play it and see how I like it! I bet my assumptions will be way off base (as they typically are anyways). Thanks for your insights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris gammon
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathninja is right. They're quite a distance from the front, and a truck can only be used once to supply an HQ for attack supply. Their more immediate benefit will be faster shipping of reinforcements from the England box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.