Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the commentaries and reviews I've seen for this game have been either "ho hum," or outright negative. Is there anything redeeming about the experience that might excite me to pick it up?

You see, not only do I love the game, but my better half is a fantasy devotee. It seems the perfect fit for our household, but -- again -- all the press has been repellent.

Is this just a case of reviewers holding the game to a high standard (but the experience is still engaging and fun), or is the title just kind of bad?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should pick it up!
Maybe 2nd hand?

Everyone's a critic and BGGers when it comes to their games seem especially so. The game is great.

The newness of the original has worn off, so some of the high/glory from that experience has faded so that lends it to thinking it's less enjoyable. And there is some truth in that, but it's the only game of its kind like it and there aren't that many expansions to choose from.

Plus there is an underlying story developing, ever so subtly, so would hate for you to miss out on that.

I say go get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I think i like this one the least BUT i have only played the 2 first ones and time stories as a whole is not broken by this expansion...it still has its moments and i think people who are into the main story would do well to buy this one..the fact that so far the stories has been very different is a good thing and i hope they keep doing new things...you should buy it and you can allways sell it after..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't read reviews so I have no idea what people complain about. For me, this was easily the best scenario of the first 4, so there you go - we all have our favorites :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's different, but that does not mean that it is bad, also it has the highest replay ability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked it, so did these people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group's second favourite story after Under the Mask

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed this one a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmb
I like TIME Stories and I've played all 4 scenarios so far and I will definitely be buying scenarios for the immediate future.

That said, ALL of the scenarios so far leave a lot to be desired. Part of this is the fear of being too out there, part of it is trying to keep the game easy for people who fail at puzzles, part of it is translation issues and part of it is a really good scenario would need at least twice as many cards.

The no-spoilers problem with PoD is that the scenario is split up into two halves. The first half has four different ways to do it. Three of which can hamstring you quite a bit with certain selections and a fourth fun and different one that I think takes longer but most people seem to ignore because I guess its easy to miss the starting point. (Which is surprising to me, the gf and I pounced on it immediately.) The biggest problem with this half is that it kinda requires commitment before you think you're ready and the stupid dead end from the Asylum still has me (and others?) worried about spending soooo much time on certain things. The four differnet methods seems "cool and replayable" but in reality, youre missing out on 3 locations during your playthrough and its not worth replaying for one new location each time.

The second half is super simple and straightforward but has what is probably the most awesome location from all 4 scenarios and a pretty nifty final sequence that is probably the best of the 4.

But like all the other scenarios, you better come to the table with the BGG FAQ preloaded on a device to make sure you're doing everything right.

I think if I had to rank them it would probably be: Asylum, Prophecy of Dragons, Under the Mask, Marcy Case. But they're all super close in their mediocrity. My gf says she would put Marcy second because lke Asylum, it is less linear than PoD and UtM.

All in all, the scenarios can all be vastly improved. And I actually have higher hopes for a lot of the fan content than the official content. Because I think they won't cater as much to the lowest common denominator audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be too much information for me to call it no-spoiler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:

+1

I think you can restate that and remove the 1 of 4, etc, and still make your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Williams
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
All the commentaries and reviews I've seen for this game have been either "ho hum," or outright negative. Is there anything redeeming about the experience that might excite me to pick it up?

You see, not only do I love the game, but my better half is a fantasy devotee. It seems the perfect fit for our household, but -- again -- all the press has been repellent.

Is this just a case of reviewers holding the game to a high standard (but the experience is still engaging and fun), or is the title just kind of bad?

Thanks!

Even though it's not as much of a puzzle one as Asylum, Prophecy of Dragons is my absolute favorite so far and the closest thing they've come to a re-playable scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:

+1

I think you can restate that and remove the 1 of 4, etc, and still make your point.

Or at least a spoiler tag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished this last night. It is by far the best one so far. My group was so engaged we pressed on late into the early hours to finish it. It seriously is worth it. Best one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hedrick
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished it last night and it was easily our least favorite scenario. Very fiddly, even with the benefit of the FAQ. Too many unclear cards. To be honest, we are still not sure if we won with the "best" outcome because of an ambiguity on one of the final cards.

The other scenarios have a much better trial and error to length of each attempt ratio. This scenario has far too many "gotcha" moments, which were in the other scenarios and can be okay, but this one was long enough that the "gotcha" moments crossed "challenging" into "frustrating and no longer fun."

All the scenarios have a somewhat random scoring, but this one felt especially arbitrary.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It also seems like part of the puzzle of this scenario is choosing the right party combination. There are party combinations that you literally cannot finish the game with, and others where you could possibly win but only with a lot of luck and ultimately a sub-optimal score. Being pigeon-holed like this in a game that is supposed to have RPG aspects was not fun for our group.

I also don't understand the claims that this is the most replayable scenario. You have to buy a certain set of items and be playing a certain set of characters to beat this. To me, its just as much of a one-shot as any of the others, which is fine, but claims that this has some extra replayability really puzzle me.

I still like this game, and it was interesting to see what they were going for in this scenario. It would have been awesome if they pulled it off. But we were just glad to be done with this scenario (and not in a "great job, everyone" way, but in a "so happy we can put this behind us" way), and had we not won on our last run, I'm not sure we would have been interested in trying again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
carolina_bryan wrote:

It also seems like part of the puzzle of this scenario is choosing the right party combination. There are party combinations that you literally cannot finish the game with, and others where you could possibly win but only with a lot of luck and ultimately a sub-optimal score. Being pigeon-holed like this in a game that is supposed to have RPG aspects was not fun for our group.

I thaught that is was possible to finish the scenario with every party combination. Can you elaborate this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hedrick
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
carolina_bryan wrote:

I thaught that is was possible to finish the scenario with every party combination. Can you elaborate this?

I don't see how you can close the final portal without the Mage or the Priestess (likely both) in your group. Its just one big magic test. If you choose a magic-less party (or low magic party), I don't see how you finish. So any party without them seems destined to fail. Although not a requirement, any party without the ability to reuse potions (Alchemist) is really going to struggle making it through the tunnels without a good bit of luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmb
carolina_bryan wrote:

I don't see how you can close the final portal without the Mage or the Priestess (likely both) in your group. Its just one big magic test. If you choose a magic-less party (or low magic party), I don't see how you finish. So any party without them seems destined to fail. Although not a requirement, any party without the ability to reuse potions (Alchemist) is really going to struggle making it through the tunnels without a good bit of luck

There's two items in the 2nd half of the game that grant bonuses to casting magic, probably specifically for that final card. That's how most of us found about the 6-die limit rule that isn't in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hedrick
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
carolina_bryan wrote:

There's two items in the 2nd half of the game that grant bonuses to casting magic, probably specifically for that final card. That's how most of us found about the 6-die limit rule that isn't in the rulebook.

We may be talking about different items, so I won't speak definitively, but I'm fairly certain I obtained those items and I still think the final encounter is going to be really hard with zero base magic users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carolina_bryan wrote:
stevelabny wrote:
carolina_bryan wrote:

We may be talking about different items, so I won't speak definitively, but I'm fairly certain I obtained those items and I still think the final encounter is going to be really hard with zero base magic users.

Our warrior crushed it with those items. We did it with no spellcasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I hate to be a negative nancy but this expansion ended time stories for me. I was already less than enthusiastic after the ho-hum Marcy case, and this put the nail in the coffin.

The idea of restarting the game is an artificial way to prolong the experience. The game actively promotes trial and error instead of deductive reasoning and piecing together clues. The combat is lackluster as you have little control over your results, and you're thrown into dead ends on occasion where combat is your only option. Also, this game adds unnecessary mechanisms like currency, and I wish the game would just go back to its basic adventure roots at the asylum.

The theme in this one isn't fleshed out until the "twist." And I have my fair share of problems with that part of the game but that would go into spoiler territory.

Just overall a mediocre to bad scenario. And they are expensive which has caused me to put it up for trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Wood
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished this one last night.

This is actually better than we thought it would be based on the forums!

There are over 150 cards, and I can state that the oversight and proofreading took a hit because of both the number of cards, and their effects.
Magic has a lot of rules, the thief has missing text, and the scenario itself caters to a narrow demographic.

The best frame of mind for players to have in this module is as a D&D adventure kit.
This is not a puzzle scenario like Asylum or Under the Mask (we don't have Marcy Case, we're doing reverse expansion order), but there are some light puzzling sections that can be brute forced.

We played with 2 players using the 3 Receptacle rules and sharing one.
Both players were D&D vets.
Having at least one Magic user is recommended, but not required.

I don't consider the 'twist' of changing the game half-way through to be a spoiler, as much as a clear delineation of a D&D campaign's core feedback loop; Get a new Quest, Gear up, and Explore a bit, then hunker down for the actual dungeon crawl and fight.

This thing plays like a 'board game' version of D&D through and through.
Easily the most replayable scenario.
Another parallel could be a 'cooperative version of Talisman'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
We hated this one, but RPG fantasy wore out its welcome for us by the end of the 1980s.

I missed the mystery/puzzle element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dense story and a RPG like feeling. By far my favorite. But not only mine: Just look at the rating - many non-posters confirm it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.