Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This month's BGG Wargame Designer of the Month is Francisco Ronco. He has designed and published more than half a dozen wargames, his most popular so far is Campaign Commander Volume I: Roads to Stalingrad.

Mr. Ronco was born in 1969 in Cádiz, Southern Spain. He has lived in Seville since 1987, where he went to study Philosophy at the University. He has been teaching high school since 1993.

Mr. Ronco has played wargames since he was 12 years old. He then started designing games to play with his friends. In 2008, he started his own wargame company, Bellica Third Generation.

He has agreed to sit down with us over a few very cold beers and talk about wargames.

Please give Mr. Ronco a warm BGG Wargame Subdomain welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
First question: why is your user name "oldfritz"?

Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Korting
Netherlands
Hoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Francisco,

congratulations on being chosen Designer of the Month.

Can you maybe tell us some more about your plans with the Campaign Commander Series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Question : did you get your start with the Alea magazine wargames ? Or maybe the more open question of how somebody in Spain got to be a wargamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
https://youtu.be/LQp4-jLajSg

Congratulations on designer of the month.
What was the first consim you played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Francisco!

Any more Campaign Commander games in the works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Romero
Spain
Cerdanyola
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Enhorabuena, Francisco

Did you began wargaming with NAC games? If yes, with which one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks to Mr Dunga for choosing me as "wargames designer of the month".

It's a honor and a pleasure forme to meet so good guys around here. I'll do my best to answer your questions and share any information you want to know.

Thanks again for this oportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
First question: why is your user name "oldfritz"?

Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"oldfritz" is on behalf of Frederick II, King of Prussia.
Since I was a child I loved reading about Napoleon and his campaigns, but as I grew up I read Christopher Duffy´s books on Frederick, Maria Theresa and Eighteenth Century warfare. I got in love with them, specially with that short, poet, dreamer and ultimately ruthless soldier king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HansK wrote:
Hi Francisco,

congratulations on being chosen Designer of the Month.

Can you maybe tell us some more about your plans with the Campaign Commander Series?

Many thanks, I hope I could contribute with interesting posts.

Ok, now we are working on re-writting the rulesbook -specially the English version- to avoid misinterpretations and blind spots. It is not a change in rules but in wording and clarity.
I have to give huge thanks to David Gomez Relloso -designer of Crusade and Revolution: The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939- and Christian Ludvig for their tenacity and hard work.
My family is emergin from very dark times, my father died last December of lunge cancer after two horrible years of agony and my father-in-law died last May from a headstroke. Besides several more burials in the familiy since last December... A very sad era.
So, gaming, designing, managing Bellica and doing a lot of hard work were out of question most of the time.

Now we are having time to heal our wounds and now we are resuming working on present and new projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Question : did you get your start with the Alea magazine wargames ? Or maybe the more open question of how somebody in Spain got to be a wargamer.

Ok, wargaming was not a very popular hobby when I was a child but in the seventies and eighties some foreign games (SPI, AH, IT...) managed to get into our world and many of us in Spain are in debt with an extint Spanish game company called Nike & Cooper (NAC), that in the eighties produce several dozen wargames -even translating into Spainsh several SPI titles at the end of their career- very easy to lear, fast to play and cheaper than the imported ones.
Also a book company (Plaza & Janes) published several books on battles that also included 4 wargames per volume. It was my real cornerstone in wargaming.

Then you grow up and learn English, then travelled abroad and bring back games of unknown companies and play them until you could get another one (AH Stalingrad, Panzerblitz, Gettysburg, Afrika Korps...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamesmeister99 wrote:
https://youtu.be/LQp4-jLajSg

Congratulations on designer of the month.
What was the first consim you played?

Yes, that´s the way my name is pronounced

My first wargame was !Blitzkrieg¡
One of my cousins -another one called Francisco Ronco also-, was a freak of military miniatures and bought a magazine that had that game inside. He taught me how to play and we spent several afternoons battling each other. Then my best friend Daniel Peña -a team mate at Bellica Third Generation also- and me got into designing our own games, about different battles as Little Big Horn, Naseby or Waterloo. Not much historically accurate, not too innovative but we were 12 so, they were real challenges for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Congrats, Francisco!

Any more Campaign Commander games in the works?

Hi Judd,

nice to read you here!!
You know I am in debt with you for all the work and effort you have put into this Game Series. I hope I can fill your expectations with the new rulebook and new titles.

As I said above we have several projects: I am thinking about publishing the very first prototype for CC Series: Objetive Moscow. The game is a small one that I designed to test and proof the system. Is about Army Group Center from 22nd June 1941 till the Soviet initiates the Winter Counteroffensive. Small map, few counters and the same system -32 cards per side also.
Or we could even finish the one about Lepanto Era -we don´t have a solid title for it-, Leningrad´41, Eagles & Crescent -about Bonaparte´s campaign in Egypt- or Returning Back -Philippine ´44-´45.
The Lepanto one will be the first to be finished, it is nearly already. The other three need more testing.
We have not decided which one to publish first as we have too many project delayed by the bad last two years...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
romerj wrote:
Enhorabuena, Francisco

Did you began wargaming with NAC games? If yes, with which one?

Thanks Javier,

NAC was our wet nurse for wargamers, you know. But I have already said I began with a single ¡Blitzkrieg! game and the books from Plaza & Janes.
Daniel and me played so many times -we usually met on Saturdays mornings and many times played till night- those games that we began making our own house designs to add counters, rules and more depth to them.

I remember also playing -I don´t remember with whom- a game about Sandokan, Malaysia Tiger, in which one player took the role of the British and the other run Sandokan forces. It was an insert for a newspaper, I guess.

My very first NAC game was La Guerra Civil Española (1936). A Christmas present from my parents in 1981.
Early I felt uneasy when we realised that some Moroccan troops never could reach Barcelona given their movement rates and the lenght of the game...shakeshakeshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro García
Spain
El Vendrell
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enhorabuena Paco

One topic you would like to see in a tabletop wargame, but that you think it is very hard to implement in this format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vins baudet
Spain
Valencia/Castiello de Jaca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enhorabuena Paco, aunque lamento lo de tu familia.

Please what are the plans for Age of muskets serie? thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiser Karl
Spain
Vélez-Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Paco.

What is your favourite era for wargaming and why?

Tell us something about Bellica´s plans for the Festival in Cordoba 2016 please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Suffo
Spain
Cádiz
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muchas felicidades, Paco.

A ver si hay suerte, el Kichi se entera y te pone una calle en Cádiz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Eskubi
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Paco!!

Some day we have to work together in any game

Best
Niko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enano Trilero
msg tools
mbmbmb
Enhorabuena Paco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Caceres
Spain
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A living legend of the hobby in Spain

My questions are:

Wich one of your designs are you prouder of?

what are you aspirations for B3G?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frédéric Bey
France
Vanves
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Félicitations Francisco, c'est une récompense méritée.

Congratulations Francisco, you deserve it!

Frédéric BEY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Romero
Spain
Cerdanyola
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
NAC was our wet nurse for wargamers, you know. But I have already said I began with a single ¡Blitzkrieg! game and the books from Plaza & Janes.

My very first wargame was La Guerra Civil too. Very soon, I found it "unrealistic" and began to design my own rules for it.

And I also had that book "Juegos de las Batallas" with cut and paste games

I see a pattern here ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Francisco!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Congratulations Mr Ronco !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.