Subject: 2 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao C L Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just watched Tom Vassel video and he loves the game and says the game is good at every player count. Anyone played this at 2 player game ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to get a feel for it, Watch It Played is doing a video of it currently with Rodney and his son playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhonyb wrote:
I've just watched Tom Vassel video and he loves the game and says the game is good at every player count. Anyone played this at 2 player game ?

In his review, Joel Eddy also noted it is great at all player counts, and specifically mentioned 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
This was one of my concerns, but based on the reviews mentioned here and a look at the rules, I'm in--it looks solid at the 2-player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would it be ignorant to believe that 2-player mode was tested more than any other player count? How easy is it to get 3 others together to play a game vs. just 1 other person? True, if people are being paid to playtest (Portal staff) then 3 or 4 could be more common, except who'd be left to answer the phones?

For the sake of vetting each faction against the others I would expect it is easier to test 2 at a time than test all 4. Including an entire reworked map printing into the Cry Havoc box dedicated to the 2-player crowd has to say something about the importance of making the numbers work as well as the 3-4 player map.

Obviously no player count was left out of testing, but I would not personally worry about the quality of experience in a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p g
Greece
Agia Paraskevi
flag msg tools
Bad_Ash wrote:
Would it be ignorant to believe that 2-player mode was tested more than any other player count? How easy is it to get 3 others together to play a game vs. just 1 other person? True, if people are being paid to playtest (Portal staff) then 3 or 4 could be more common, except who'd be left to answer the phones?

With the same logic the game is not that good with 4 players?

Playtesting is one thing, but some games are just better with 3 than 2 or the other way round, some games are very good with all player counts but the experience is rather different with 2 than with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No- just as you say some games play better with different player counts, so that tells me some games are naturally a better fit with X players so they don't require as much or as rigorous testing as they do with a different number.

I wont pretend to make claims about Cry Havoc much less any other specific game, but how often do you see a designer or publisher claim they had to refine and polish a game for all player counts? No, they typically struggle with a specific count. Some may even admit which counts work best for their game, who knows if they just got worn out trying to accommodate it without breaking the other counts.

Anyways...people can use whatever logic they want to anticipate how well a game might play with X players but if it is that important to the decision, they'd be stupid to blind buy without playing. I enjoy blind buying- my expectations fail me in overall playability/the interesting factor but never player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.