Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks interesting to me, but I am cautious on even picking up a used copy due to the dice element.

One game that often gets rave solo reviews that I am not overly fond of is Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game because one dice roll can cost you the game again and again. There were times when I played that game that I spent more time setting things up then actually playing it due to rolling a few bad dice rolls consecutively. Eventually I traded it away with another games for Quarriors, so it is not dice that I hate.

Just wanted to see if there is someone who has played both that could speak on if this game feels the same in regards to complete random chance or not as SH-DA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played both games, and I wouldn't compare them to each other - they are very different.

In DSD6 you have mitigation and a dice pool for tactical choices, whether in SHDA you have a "destiny dice" that is "binary" - you (or the genestealers) either live or die. The tactics here are how you expose your squad to the risk of the dice, in DSD6 it's the other way around.

They are both good, but different experiences IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Both games are completely different in gameplay, theme, strategy, difficulty and approach.
Both games are completely awesome in their own way.
Both games need to be in everyone's collection.

That's my view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike,

I'll of course let others speak towards their experience with the game, but I thought I'd share a little about Deep Space D-6 as the designer who has played and enjoyed Death Angel.

I too was attracted to Death Angel as a solo experience. It was one of the earliest solitaire games I remember being widely available at the time. Along with Friday, these two games got the most consistent recommendations throughout BGG forums for a solo game. So naturally I looked at what worked and what didn't work. Obviously a lot has changed in the solo-game world since those games.

Specifically for SH-DA, the primary complaint with that game was the random element of the dice. Dice are fun parts of games that add excitement and tension. Unfortunately in DA, the dice rolling occurs after you have made your decisions. In a sense, a lot of your decision making skills could be negated by a bad roll.

For Deep Space D-6, dice rolling occurs before you make the important decisions. In fact, the reason you don't get a re-roll in DSD6 (as you would in say, King of Tokyo and other yahtzee style games) is because the decision I wanted players to make is: What should I do with the results given, rather than Should I re-roll?

Both decisions are valid enough, but there are already enough re-roll type games out there for that experience, and DSD6 is a game about survival and improvisation- making less than optimal choices is the name of the game.

Really unlucky things can still happen to you in DSD6, but their potential to occur is necessary for a victory to feel fulfilling. And in rare cases where they do happen, another game is just a shuffle away.

Which brings me to the user experience of DSD6. I also disliked the setup in many solitaire games. I hated the constant shuffling in Friday and other deck builders. Death Angel took up way too much table space and sometimes required separate "hands" of cards.

There's nothing to continually hold in DSD6. Setup is a snap and if you use the components correctly, it's very easy to step away from the game and come back to where you left off. Oh and it fits on a desk. In this way I've tried to minimize the obstacles in a player's enjoyment. We as gamers have a much higher tolerance for these types of inconvenience in multi-player games. This is why multi-player games with solitaire variants always feel different from dedicated solo games, but that's an entirely different conversation.

To be honest, there are a lot of random elements in DSD6, possibly more than SH-DA. However, when doing an analysis on the consequences of that randomness it goes something like:

In SH-DA, the worst expression of randomness is the failure to kill anything and/or the death of your squad resulting in a loss.

In DSD6, the worst expression of randomness is the inability to perform the functions you want, and the influx of enemies (which don't directly lead to failure).

Finally, there is a print & play version you can try out to get an idea of the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast response! You hit the nail on the head with most of my issues with many solo games out there in regards to set up time, space, and sometimes the AI in a game is simply a dice roll.

Is there anyway to order a copy at this point? I'm willing to do a PnP, but sometimes the cost to do a decent one is the same as just ordering a copy.

Just want to know what options I have being this late on the bandwagon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm still focusing on fulfillment before copies are open to retail availability. I did see a NIS copy in the Geekmarket asking for about close to what the game will retail for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've played both a few times. I'm distinctly not super intimate with either, but from my limited experience:

SHDA feels like you're fighting tooth-and-nail to survive, but that is of course largely because of 'that red die'devil

DS-D6 does some more satisfying stuff with the dice (plural!) to be sure, but feels in contrast to be a distinct step down on the heart-in-your-mouth meter, so much so that before the boss fight arrives the challenge felt, tbh, underwhelming (although I haven't played without all the 'nothing happens' cards which I've heard changes things up a tad). But then just as your lulled into a state of false security the boss arrives and totally flattens you within seconds.

Swings and roundabouts I fear...

Edit: I should add that I enjoy both quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Hassar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and and so far I have played:
15 games of Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
35 games of Deep Space D-6

As others have stated, both games are very different.
I like the tension in SHDA and I win on a regular basis.
On the other hand, I like the quickness of play in DSD6 and the dice rolling (hardly ever going my way as I am a 'dice hate me' guy). Of the 35 games I played I won... none. But that does not kill my interest for the game. I like the art, the theme and the mechanism. The only thing I have to bear with is always rolling a 6 when I face the boss which gets me killed very quickly cry

But indeed, the game is very dice dependent when playing with the base rules which is why I now always play with the Bonus infirmary rule. That helps mitigate bad rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WWG Con 2016!!!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manserfamily wrote:

Both games are completely different in gameplay, theme, strategy, difficulty and approach.
Both games are completely awesome in their own way.
Both games need to be in everyone's collection.

That's my view.

Well said friend meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's a game that's comparable to DSD6, it's The Captain Is Dead where you need certain things to make certain systems work on your ship before the bad guys blow you up, but with dice rolls replacing card draws as the source of (occasionally frustrating) randomness.

SHDA is much more brutal in its randomness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will just say also that I did not enjoy the captain is dead as much as DSD6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.