Mech Command RTS» Forums » General

Subject: Game looks super cool! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT -
Nope nope nope nope. Don't back this game, it looks like they have been lying to all of us from the beginning. If it comes out in retail, then maybe I'll consider it, but there's no way they are getting a kickstarter pledge from me after all this stuff they are pulling.

I'm really interested in how the pace of the gameplay will be in real time. Curious how much of a disadvantage a new player will be versus someone who has played multiple times.

Never seen a game like this before. very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabbok wrote:
I'm really interested in how the pace of the gameplay will be in real time. Curious how much of a disadvantage a new player will be versus someone who has played multiple times.

Never seen a game like this before. very cool!

This is the game I've been waiting for. Real time combat! YES!!!
And I love the LED bases and 3d terrain. SO PUMPED UP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Martinez
msg tools
I've never played a board game in real time combat. Is there anybody who can explain me how to play to real time combat board game?
I know I write so bad, sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
melindras wrote:
I've never played a board game in real time combat. Is there anybody who can explain me how to play to real time combat board game?

Basically, instead of the typical "you take a turn, then I take a turn" combat, Everybody is shooting at each other at the SAME TIME!
If you watch the KS trailer, it shows a sample of combat
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/104997/armored-core-rts/armo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Those LED bases look pretty gimmicky to me. Like they stuck one of those cheap keychain flashlights in the base. How easy will the light be to see during gameplay during the day or without turning the lights off? And since its an led light and not a laser, how will it really provide los during gameplay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - game looks cool, but I'm really skeptical of real time games - looking forward to seeing the gameplay videos. The customization system looks really elegant though - and I want to see some of the weapons, especially the energy blades. I do love that there's not a million status chits to deal with - game definitely has potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErnieB wrote:
Those LED bases look pretty gimmicky to me. Like they stuck one of those cheap keychain flashlights in the base. How easy will the light be to see during gameplay during the day or without turning the lights off? And since its an led light and not a laser, how will it really provide los during gameplay?

The lights look fairly bright in the Kickstarter video, with a well lit room. I don't know if they are the production lights or not though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit annoyed that this is doing better than Giga-Robo on Kickstarter right now. Giga-Robo is such a fun game. Though admittedly I've played Giga-Robo and I've never played Armored Core RTS so it's unfair of me to assume that this game will be less fun.

This game is trying to do something different with the RTS idea which is intriguing. I would like to see more actual gameplay to understand how that works without being too chaotic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
This looks better than giga robo, you get more stuff for less $...probably more people care about armored core than giga design.
Although I considered backing giga robo, 40$ cost is deal breaker for me. I will rather back this, sicne 10$ less for shipping, and models look much better. Get giga when it hits retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
ErnieB wrote:

The lights look fairly bright in the Kickstarter video, with a well lit room. I don't know if they are the production lights or not though.

I have to agree about the LED bases. Seems like a necessary idea to allow quick LOS assessment in a "real time" boardgame, but unless they are strong lights it is hard to say how useful they would be.

I think my bigger concern is the rules. I have requested a KS 48 hour reminder about this project but I can't see myself backing this one unless they can show a pdf of the rulebook. Even in a beta format. I would really need to have a much better understanding of the rules to make a decision either way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it look better than Giga? I guess that's subjective. I'm not sold on that gameplay. I need to see a playthrough of it to see the decisions they are making. As far as price goes they are basically the same price point (AC is 10 buck more expensive fore the lowest tier). You do clearly get more components in this game, but I guess I was never one to judge a game only on it's component quality.

Also I never cared for the AC games so that might be coloring my opinion. Those always felt so bland. Giga is clearly patterned after the Super Robot Wars games, which were more to my liking. That might go a long way toward explaining my feelings toward the two games

Add: I don't see how this game would work real time without the LEDs. I agree if I could read the rules I might be more excited becuase I could understand how this game is suppose to play. To go back to Giga not only could I read the full rules posted on the campaign, but I could play the free online demo on tabletopia also posted on the campaign page. I'm taking a wait and see approach on this game. to see if they give us more information first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm debating between this and Giga as well - I'm skeptical of the real time idea, but I think Armored Core looks a bit more lean and quick to play - I'm afraid Giga-Robo will be rather like Mage Wars (detailed and cool, but lots of little things that make it tedious to teach and slow to play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it Giga and Mage Wars. It's much faster than Mage Wars. You only have access to 15 cards. Not all of which will be appropriate to use at any given time. Also cards have cooldowns so they won't all be available. It's a game of positioning, resource management and weighting risks versus rewards. I taught it reasonably easily to someone who hadn't read the rules. The base rules are fairly simple and the rest is all on the tokens and cards.

AC RTS says it plays in 20 minutes. A match in Giga probably took about an hour so as far as game length goes there is no way Giga will play faster than this game. You do have to do some customization prematch to setup your robot and pilot, but I guess you could always prebuild that for a newbie (I always prebuilt the spell books and let my opponent choose in Mage Wars so it's similar there). I wonder what the pregame setup is for AC RTS. They hint at it in the video.

Giga reminds me of an card battle game in the time played, decisions made and pregame setup. I'm currently into several of the FFG LCGs so it felt pretty familiar to me. The videos of AC RTS almost makes me think of a dexterity game considering the twitch gameplay they show off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh that's good to know! I've taken to referring to Mage Wars as my favorite game I never play - now that I'm married with kids, long games like that just never make it to the table.

I think with Giga I'd like to see some more robots and pilots added - I know my voice would be a minority, but I'd trade away the miniatures for cardboard standees in a heartbeat to get more robots and pilots. And I wish it drew more on the Gundam series for more artistic inspiration - the ones they currently have modeled just don't inspire me that much since I haven't seen the associated animes.

I agree about the AC RTS - not interested in a frantic dexterity game with everyone shouting, I just have to see a gameplay video to make a final call. AC I like the aesthetics of better - it reminds me of Battletech from the olden days. :-P I think I'd just have to say I am not sure about either one at this point from a "will I play this game often enough to make it worth buying now" perspective..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
A fair comment. I go through the same debate in my head often. I'm also married with kids so game time is precious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at Giga, but I'm a bigger fan of more "military" warmachine type robots. I much prefer the aesthetics of Armored Core.

I don't plan on backing Giga and backing AC will be determined by what ever rules they can provide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkartzinel wrote:
Oh that's good to know! I've taken to referring to Mage Wars as my favorite game I never play - now that I'm married with kids, long games like that just never make it to the table.

I think with Giga I'd like to see some more robots and pilots added - I know my voice would be a minority, but I'd trade away the miniatures for cardboard standees in a heartbeat to get more robots and pilots. And I wish it drew more on the Gundam series for more artistic inspiration - the ones they currently have modeled just don't inspire me that much since I haven't seen the associated animes.

I agree about the AC RTS - not interested in a frantic dexterity game with everyone shouting, I just have to see a gameplay video to make a final call. AC I like the aesthetics of better - it reminds me of Battletech from the olden days. :-P I think I'd just have to say I am not sure about either one at this point from a "will I play this game often enough to make it worth buying now" perspective..

Oh cmon Dave, this will be like the 4th game we both play, and still haven't ever played together yet! (Still haven't played Yashima with you yet!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah, so true! Must fix that soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ani P.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
Hi thanks for posting that!

We haven't been answering too many of these questions in depth just yet because so much will be answered with the tutorial video and rules.

Just a few notes that I also posted in another thread:

The LED lights are ultra bright and had to be custom built. (We WISH we could use an off-the-shelf key chain light but none of them ended up working for our purposes. primarily because they a. required constant pressure contact to be lit, and b. were not bright enough. )

We ended up doubling up the CR2032 batteries in them so they would last for multiple campaigns. The electronics shown are final production electronics. The COVERS howevever are not final as we want to unlock a stretch reward to 'armor' them with a cool plating texture. They work perfectly even under bright fluorescents. These images are a comparison of our old version and the new version. We'll get some pics up in a bright lit room, even outside in the sunlight.

The LED lights are there exactly to settle disputes without having to pause the game. They help know if you can target someone, but that could be easily identified from your perspective without them (which is why the game was originally developed without the LEDs). They are primarily there for the defender. Without interrupting what they were doing the defender can glance down when a HIT is called on them and instantly check if there was line of sight by the giant blue, red or green light on their mech. Even when playing with complete trust, it just helps.

TBH, every now and then you might STILL pause the game, (by just saying PAUSE) for example when the light is so barely on the target that its hard to see, but this is very rare. Certainly not every game.

AS the rules and videos will illuminate, there is a recharge and damage phase. When a player is out of energy or done for the round they turn off their LED light. When all lights are out, players move to the damage and recharge phase. During this phase players assign damage that has collected in their damage dishes to various parts of their AC. Disable limbs and attached equipment if necessary, then return the correct amount of energy to their generator. Note that all energy spent on movement is returned, but energy spent on cards is returned according to that card's recharge rate. Thus sometimes energy will be left on a card for another round and not be available immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inaholeintheground wrote:
melindras wrote:

Basically, instead of the typical "you take a turn, then I take a turn" combat, Everybody is shooting at each other at the SAME TIME!
If you watch the KS trailer, it shows a sample of combat

Be nice if you added it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gabrielson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen the tutorial video yet? Its a little rough but goes over the basic rules and game play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h0THeBKwRk&feature=youtu.be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.