BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: is this like yomi? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey Ryback
United States
California
flag msg tools
Title says it all, I'm just now hearing about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
in the sense that it represents the fighting game genre, but in terms of implementation it's drastically different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games belong in the same genre, but are entirely different games mechanically.

Yomi is played through full decks of cards, with each fighter's abilities represented by the card deck. There's no spatial element, lots of card comboing, etc. To play Yomi well, you really have to be intimately familiar with both your own deck and your opponent's, all 52 cards. It's a bit to keep track of, and there's some luck with what cards get drawn.

BattleCON plays quite a bit differently. In BattleCON, each attack is made of 1 style and 1 base. Every player's bases are identical (other than 1 unique base per character), but every characters's styles are different. On top of that, you always know precisely what your opponent has in their hand - 2 attacks are typically in "cooldown," while all other cards are in their hand. And you have a reference card for the opponent, so you know exactly what they can do at any given time.

BattleCON is a game of perfect information - you're trying to decide what to do, while knowing what your opponent COULD do, and knowing that THEY know what YOU could do. So there's some bluffing and double-think involved.

There is also an actual spatial element to the game, a board that the fighter's move on. So you have to consider the range of your attack, your positioning, movement, etc.

TL;DR: Yomi is cards only, with some luck involved based on card draws, and a higher difficulty curve. BattleCON is more spatial, with perfect information on both sides, and easier to get into (but with just as high a skill ceiling as Yomi, in my opinion). They're both fighting card games, but play totally differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hughey
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Yomi, I suggest you try BattleCON: Fate of Indines first before jumping into BattleCON: Devastation of Indines or BattleCON: War of Indines. Fate only costs $30.00 retail and has 10 fighters. Compare THAT to Yomi's $100 for 10 fighter scam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're curious about the BattleCon style of gameplay, but want to keep the deck-based aspect of Yomi, I can definitely recommend looking at Exceed. It merges the spatial elements of BattleCon with the deck management of Yomi, and is rather a lot of fun besides. I do prefer BattleCon (the perfect information and the fact that the attack you use has to cycle through creates a very dynamic game state compared to Exceed), but I think that both are very good games (and both by the same company).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Ryback
United States
California
flag msg tools
djfooboo wrote:
If you like Yomi, I suggest you try BattleCON: Fate of Indines first before jumping into BattleCON: Devastation of Indines or BattleCON: War of Indines. Fate only costs $30.00 retail and has 10 fighters. Compare THAT to Yomi's $100 for 10 fighter scam.

thanks Matthew. $30 seems like a perfect entry point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
ryback wrote:
djfooboo wrote:

thanks Matthew. $30 seems like a perfect entry point.

And there will be another 10-fighter box, Trials of Indines, out later this year! Collect 'em all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brannan
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
fate is not the best box to start with. a lot of the fighters in there are a lot more complex and trickier to play correctly than the other two boxes (war and devastation) if you want to try out the system, level99games.com and I'm sure here, has a free print and play to try out.

also i second exceed, its a lot of fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just like to echo Chad: the best starting point for Battlecon is War because the characters are more streamlined and cohesive and not so funky. Barring that, the next best thing is to try the PnP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to chime in with Exceed as well. I own all of BattleCON and also all of Yomi. Since Exceed has come out I have been playing a lot less of BattleCON (and maybe Yomi too). It is really fresh and fun, feels like a fighting game.

If you are thinking "I want to try BattleCON because I like Yomi and want another game like it", then Exceed is the way to go. But if you are instead thinking "I want to try BattleCON because I like Yomi but want to try something different" then go with BattleCON.

If you love table top fighting games, then go with all three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the free Print n Play available from the BattleCon website is the best way to start. Gets you 4 (or is it up to 8 now?) free characters, 2 from each of War and Devastation.

After that, probably War is the best (for straightforwardness of characters), then Devastation (for variety and value), then Fate (for more interesting characters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.