Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not trying to be negative here, I completely realise that I'm probably terribly wrong.
But from what I've seen so far this kind of looks like a little more advanced zombicide

So please convince me. Why should I back this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Vampires!
2) More advanced than Zombicide is a good way to put it, although I don't think it is that much more advanced. But what it does add I like: day and night cycles; focus tokens as means of powering up; other thematic elements like breaking windows to let daylight in, etc
3) Vampires!
4) I already have zombies games, but I don't have a... Vampire game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha! So I was basically right.
But yeah, vampires are cool. I'll keep my pledge if they include a Peter Cushing character. I still feel cheated out of him in the Pandemonium campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read the beta rulebook yet so as far as rules go, I'm actually not sure how close it is to zombicide. It does look superficially like it, but most co-op of this nature are similar in mechanics these days. You move, you attack, you search for something.

I'll get back to you once I read the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I haven't read the beta rulebook yet so as far as rules go, I'm actually not sure how close it is to zombicide. It does look superficially like it, but most co-op of this nature are similar in mechanics these days. You move, you attack, you search for something.

I'll get back to you once I read the rulebook.

Thanks!
Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bishopville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine alerted me to this game a while back. I was anxiously awaiting the relaunch. Now that I've seen it, I have considered dumping almost all of our Zombicide collection (it has well worn out its welcome, we arent really that into it anymore and own way too much of it as well).

I will likely keep the base game and Toxic City Mall, but Rue Morgue fell flat with us. That being said, the base game hasn't seen play in quite some time now. Everyone could take it or leave it.

I think Vampire Hunters looks like more than just Zombicide with Vampires. It has some interesting mechanics, and the campaign mode / progressively harder dens looks like a really cool thing as well. I am very excited for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Zombicide is boring and predictable, and this looks cool and awesome? Also, I just love the theme of this game, hunting Vampires. I'm getting so tired of the 'romanticized' version of vampires and want to get back to blood dripping nosferatus. This game looks like it will do that in spades. Also, it's refreshing to see a contemporary game that's not just another zombie game.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rey
msg tools

Zombicide? Endure the Stars FTW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I'm getting so tired of the 'romanticized' version of vampires and want to get back to blood dripping nosferatus.

-shnar

^^^ THIS!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read through the rulebook and here's how I see it. The similarity to zombicide is you move by area not hexes or grid within an area; also you roll dice and have to beat a target number on D6s to get sucesses.

However, enemies spawn like in Dark Darker Darkest: you place encounter tokens in areas and only when you enter that area do you flip the token and reveal what is in the room. It could be 3 vampires of different types, it could be 2 of the same vampires or it could be a lever, or other object or a combination of things.

Each Hunter has special abilities from cards and weapons. To activate these abilities you have to spend focus tokens. You acquire focus tokens by defeating vampires and other game effects so this is interesting because you may not always be able to trigger certain abilities or may have to decide when is the best time to spend your focus.

Vampires have stat cards for day on one side and night on the other. During the day you can sneak up on sleeping vampires and kill them before they wake. Once night hits, all doors open and all vampires wake up and you flip the stat cards. Also during the day, you can bust open windows to let in the daylight. All vampires die in that room with the light.

Also vampire movement and activation is controlled by an AI deck kind of like Gears of War or Galaxy Defenders.

So in conclusion, it seems like it does the theme well by taking mechanics from several well known tactical skirmish games.

To top it all off it has a campaign system built in. I'd say on paper this looks much more interesting than Zombicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
shnar wrote:
I'm getting so tired of the 'romanticized' version of vampires and want to get back to blood dripping nosferatus.

-shnar

^^^ THIS!!

Seconded!

@Logus Vile, sounds like I've got to stick with this one then.

@Everyone, thanks for your input! And also damn you for it, I'm already backing six kickstarters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules I'm convinced Vampire Hunters is a mixture of Zombicide and Sword & Sorcery with a fricking awesome theme!

Too bad I already own ZBP and backed S&S, so I'll skip it.

Perhaps I reconsider if they add rules for 5+ players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Heron
United Kingdom
Bangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lugiber wrote:
Haha! So I was basically right.
But yeah, vampires are cool. I'll keep my pledge if they include a Peter Cushing character. I still feel cheated out of him in the Pandemonium campaign.

^This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carraway0877 wrote:
After reading the rules I'm convinced Vampire Hunters is a mixture of Zombicide and Sword & Sorcery with a fricking awesome theme!

Yup, I don't think you're far off with your description. I'm also all in on S&S but I don't own Zombicide, I prefer Dark Darker Darkest for zombies. Vampires are so cool though, and I'm not sure there is a dedicated vampire minis game yet.

As for 5+ players, I don't know if they'll add that in this campaign. However, you could always house rule it where you add in an extra vampire or 2 to each encounter for each extra hunter you include.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bishopville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
carraway0877 wrote:

Yup, I don't think you're far off with your description. I'm also all in on S&S but I don't own Zombicide, I prefer Dark Darker Darkest for zombies. Vampires are so cool though, and I'm not sure there is a dedicated vampire minis game yet.

As for 5+ players, I don't know if they'll add that in this campaign. However, you could always house rule it where you add in an extra vampire or 2 to each encounter for each extra hunter you include.

This may be especially true, with the extra Hunters and figures offered via the campaign stretch goals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Roberts
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, Zombicide has some of the, if not THE, worst rules in the entire skirmish boardgame genre. I also really dislike the tone, the pop culture references, and artistic style of Zombicide. I got rid of it long ago. Vampire Hunters seems better across the board: rules, art, character, campaign, even minis. Just because they are miniature-based, skirmish horror board games doesn't mean they have a lot of overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B

Virginia
msg tools
And how many of you said you're tired of good vampires?
Thank you!
Hate to burst bubbles, but Twilight - the good vampire saga - is based on fiction, people. We all know the only good vampire is a dead (not undead) one!
I don't really know what it is, but this game is hitting a sweet spot for me. I'm going to walk away from my $1 Massive Darkness pledge (since I have Descent, and Dark Souls and Widowers Woods on the way - and my sword swinging dungeon crawler category is just full). I am also glad that I'm not into Zombicide for the shear mass of yet more models I would own.
That may not make sense, until you've got too many minis. But, the Vampire genre will be (mostly) new to my mini hordes.
So, I hope it does turn out to be better / a step up from Zombicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony At DGG
msg tools
Hello Hunters. It would be too self-serving for me to comment on this thread.

But half way down this page, Logus Vile has given a excellent summary of VH. Amazingly accurate, since he has not played yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atm for me it's down to gameplay videos now.
I like everything I see and think I certainly got an idea how the game works.
But actually seeing people play this (or 1 person) is what would be needed to convince me to spend money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
Atm for me it's down to gameplay videos now.
I like everything I see and think I certainly got an idea how the game works.
But actually seeing people play this (or 1 person) is what would be needed to convince me to spend money.

I want to see Rahdo play it. That guy can convince me to buy anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that this is a radho-like boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
funkyboy wrote:
I don't think that this is a radho-like boardgame.

It may not be one that he loves, but he's done plenty of dungeon crawler type games before. He also really likes doing KS projects.

Moot point unless they managed to get it set up beforehand... or maybe beg him for a rush review

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the thing that have me in were vampire, but I`m not 100% staying. Mainly waiting to see what money is saving me compare to retail (which is my main reason for KS)

THAT said, being a long fan and owning every single zombicide, gameplay wise I think would add this:
- the day and night change is NICE
- the fact that when you attack a vampire, and miss they actually react to it. And that also when you miss you get more "nervous". I think this is a great change and sound super intense to play.
- the fact that you don't know what is in the area until you go INTO the area. LOVE IT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
- the fact that when you attack a vampire, and miss they actually react to it. And that also when you miss you get more "nervous".

I must have missed that.

Where did you catch these things? The only real attack reaction I'm aware of is a combined attack by hunters, that didn't kill the enemy.
And how do hunters get more "nervous" when they miss?

I would really like these features, but where are they covered in the current beta rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carraway0877 wrote:
chang_1910 wrote:
- the fact that when you attack a vampire, and miss they actually react to it. And that also when you miss you get more "nervous".

I must have missed that.

Where did you catch these things? The only real attack reaction I'm aware of is a combined attack by hunters, that didn't kill the enemy.
And how do hunters get more "nervous" when they miss?

I would really like these features, but where are they covered in the current beta rulebook?

OMG.... u are right.. they completely remove that. the panic bar is not there. I have just glazed tru the rulebook and was basing some stuff on the original design.

Is not mention on the new rulebook and is not on the character card. WHY?!?!?? WHY?!??!? that was one of the things that I liked the most...

I`m gonna ask to see why they remove that. That is such a shame.

sorry for the confusion and misinformation there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.