Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Clay
United States
Jacksonville
AR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Been watching the Kickstarter campaign and there are a few things that don't seem to add up.

1. No independent review videos.

2. The gameplay video that is there looks like the components were made as part of a junior high project (apologies to any junior high advanced students out there).

3. No actual minis and even the computer generated ones look a bit "off".

4. Stretch goals feature black silhouettes and question marks as if no real thought has gone into them.

5. Very few finished game components are shown.

The whole campaign has the feel of something that has just been thrown together with no real planning behind it. What does that say about how they came up with the pledge amounts? Can they actually produce a quality game for what they're asking or will they just wing it and deliver a lesser quality product if it turns out they didn't really research what their costs would be?

Kickstarter says that about 1 in 10 projects fail to deliver. I hate to say it, but so far this looks like a good candidate for that unless they start to show that they've actually put some serious thought into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Lloyd
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that they are a company who hasn't put out a board game of this sort before. That isn't to say that they won't put out a good product but simply that they haven't traveled some of these roads before.

As for no independent reviews or pictures of finished minis, I think people have become too used to established game companies using Kickstarter for preorders of games they have fully developed. I'm okay with them not having a finished product to be shown (that is kind of the point of Kickstarter - to raise the money to develop a finished product) but I am concerned about the gameplay mechanics and the limited display of how they work. Those are things that decided before you even pitch a game, I'd think, and the designer has already back stepped some of that thus far.

As far as stretch goals, I don't they expected the game to be as well funded as it has been. The initial stretch goals were blown through quickly. It seems reasonable that they wouldn't have additional stretch goals fully fleshed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is clearly a case where comic books guys go, hey a board game..we can do that

They had no idea what they were getting themselves into but they have listened and are trying to fix things on the fly

Unfortunately, I can't seem to download the draft rules anymore but they said they have done quite a bit of revisions and will release new rules before the campaign is over. All of which does make me wonder how the game play is going to be. You'd think a game that is on KS has been play tested and pretty well set.

The company does seem legit and I don't think they will disappear with the money but I do have an uneasy feeling as this ends up being one of those that is delivered 2 years late
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bishopville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer stated in a Q&A that the idea for this game came out about 4 months ago. That right there would have cancelled my pledge (if the other concerns hadn't already), had this not been Evil Dead related.

Now, I have only the cheapest early bird, and will likely drop it unless something wows me with a preview/gameplay video.

Issue: The game seems to be entirely run by one deck of cards, which seems too random right there.

Issue: Tons of missteps and missing info on the actual game (but plenty of jokes)

Issue: Stretch goals/add ons that add extra gameplay modes that seemed to be just pulled out of a hat for the campaign (again, no info, what about balance/playtesting, etc)

Issue:when questioned about the estimated delivery time, they claim it is just that, an estimate, and that they will update if/when it isnt going to be met (not a chance in hell unless it is a cash grab quick piece of dung)

Issue:They were forced to kickstart now for IP reasons, not because they felt they are ready, yet they insist it's all good (see prior issue)

To me, this reads like a complete and utter fail. As I stated on the campaign comments, if this was some random game without the IP, it would have never funded like this. Not a chance. People obviously WANT a cool game, but many are trying to/have convinced themselves this game is going to be awesome, because of the IP. There is no way anyone could feel secure about this based on gameplay, because there is no info to suggest there is a great game here. Maybe...MAYBE a serviceable, totally random thematic time killer, but not a good game.

That could be proven wrong with more info, but given the rush and what I've seen so far, I dont have much hope left. I dont even care how the minis look, etc. I have a talking Ash. i have the blu ray collection in a Necronomicon, complete with Kandarian dagger. I dont need a dust collector, I want an actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fuss
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyFlyChicken wrote:

Issue:They were forced to kickstart now for IP reasons, not because they felt they are ready, yet they insist it's all good (see prior issue)

Between this statement and them taking on some (IMO) unnecessary production expenses (preferential treatment at Panda and expedited shipping), I get the impression that their license is set to expire and they are trying to rush this out to market before it does expire. I have no knowledge that this is actually the case, but that's the impression that I get.

I find it fishy that their claiming that Panda are BIG Evil Dead fans which is why they are getting preferential treatment. In my experience, the only ways of getting preferential treatment at suppliers is either:
a) Having a large enough volume history with the supplier to use as leverage, which they don't have as this is their first game, or
b) Paying extra for preferential treatment. My guess is that this is the case. Why they would take on this extra cost is beyond me.

To me, this project is riddled with warning flags. Their insistence that they'll hit the November 2016 date is highly suspect, especially given that the rules are in flux, 2D and 3D art assets are incomplete (and require licensor approval), 3D models lacking sufficient detail so the features aren't washed out in the molding process. Not to mention talk of supplying painted miniatures.

Even in terms comic book publishing, Space Goat is still a relatively new and relatively unknown entity as they have only been publishing books for a little over a year. They don't even have the track record or name recognition of IDW (another comics company that made the leap into board games).

For every indication that they've done their homework (using Panda, using BackerKit), there are equal (if not greater) number of instances where they just seem to be winging it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickfuss wrote:

To me, this project is riddled with warning flags. Their insistence that they'll hit the November 2016 date is highly suspect, especially given that the rules are in flux, 2D and 3D art assets are incomplete (and require licensor approval), 3D models lacking sufficient detail so the features aren't washed out in the molding process. Not to mention talk of supplying painted miniatures.

That Nov 2016 release date was super naive. I chuckled when I read that.

Anyways, already delayed to Spring 2017. See below. Backers should expect I would think more like fall 2017 once the dust settles, IMO.

SGP update wrote:
Hold ups on the licensor's end of things have complicated development in not entirely unexpected ways. Long story short, the licensor is changing up release schedules on us. This is both good and bad: bad because it means our release will be later than initially announced, good because that's time everyone can benefit from. Once this new schedule is locked in place with both licensor and manufacturer, we'll make a formal announce; it's sounding like early Spring 2017, so I'm going with that for now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And that was just the first delivery delay, I still feel like this one could end up as two year overdue project
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
And that was just the first delivery delay, I still feel like this one could end up as two year overdue project

I am more worried about what will be delivered than when.

These guys seem clueless when it comes to game design and play testing. Remember, regardless of production timelines, they genuinely thought this was pretty much ready to go to production once they had IP holder approval.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
belial1134 wrote:

I am more worried about what will be delivered than when.

These guys seem clueless when it comes to game design and play testing. Remember, regardless of production timelines, they genuinely thought this was pretty much ready to go to production once they had IP holder approval.

I am waiting for the first real playthrough and preview to make my final judgment. I don't care if it is delayed, with KS it is a given. I do care about the gameplay. There's still 20 days to go, so hopefully something surfaces soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nov ship date ... WHEN PIGS FLY ...

And if anyone believes that i got a bridge in Brooklyn i can sell ya reeeeaaaal cheap !!!

And gameplay ... yuk ...

Love the movie gonna avoid this like the Necronomicon ... maybe i can pick it up in 2 years (thats about 3 months after the release date) for $10 to get some cool painted minis !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:
Nov ship date ... WHEN PIGS FLY ...

And if anyone believes that i got a bridge in Brooklyn i can sell ya reeeeaaaal cheap !!!

And gameplay ... yuk ...

Love the movie gonna avoid this like the Necronomicon ... maybe i can pick it up in 2 years (thats about 3 months after the release date) for $10 to get some cool painted minis !!!

I think everyone knew Nov 2017 wasn't even a remote possibility (except for the publisher). They officially updated it the other day

Quote:
Hold ups on the licensor's end of things have complicated development in not entirely unexpected ways. Long story short, the licensor is changing up release schedules on us. This is both good and bad: bad because it means our release will be later than initially announced, good because that's time everyone can benefit from. Once this new schedule is locked in place with both licensor and manufacturer, we'll make a formal announce; it's sounding like early Spring 2017, so I'm going with that for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren mcnally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I loved Evil Dead but there are too many issues with this game so i have cancelled my pledge.
There was no way it was ever going to be ready by November but they still insisted it would be.
Now it has been delayed because of licensing problems they dont have them...
I just can see this picking up in the last 20 days if anything its sound worse now than when it started They are an established comic book publisher but that is not board games.
Not saying this game will not be good but we dont really have any information and we just keep being told Tuesday but yet no new info well none everyone already new.
I hope they get things together but i will wait for the retail and more gameplay videos before i purchase this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunken Boxer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving Evil Dead 2, I pledged right at the start of the campaign and snagged an early bird. But I'm feeling the same trepidation as a lot of people. Vague promises of amazing things to come, and mention of how this game was ready to produce...but just not seeing it in what they're showing. Very few production prototypes, and the gameplay so far seems like a pale imitation of Betrayal at House on the Hill but without the variety that game affords the players.

The big delay that they recently announced somehow filled me with both more confidence and more dread about this Kickstarter. Confidence, that with the extra time they might be able to pull off a cool game. Dread, that this is just the first in a string of disappointments that shows that this company has no idea how to produce a game.

I'm not ready to cancel my pledge just yet. My hopes are that they will start showing off more gameplay, and that this will end up being a cool game. But unless I see something great soon, I'll be dropping my pledge as well. Much as I love the IP, if I don't see a great game, there's no point in putting good money after bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fuss
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see they've made a more realistic estimated delivery date, but given the current state of the game, I still think that date is overly optimistic. I hope backers get a cool and fun game out of this, but there's not enough of a solid foundation for me to consider backing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest concern is they had a draft of the rules which you can no longer download. They said they have done a lot with the rules based on buyer feedback but honestly you would think game play would be pretty well fixed on if you launch a game on KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
My biggest concern is they had a draft of the rules which you can no longer download. They said they have done a lot with the rules based on buyer feedback but honestly you would think game play would be pretty well fixed on if you launch a game on KS.

Especially if you were sure you could deliver in November....

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren mcnally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It just doesnt feel right at all one minute its ready to be shipped next they dont have the rights , no minis to show, no game play well a little one. released rules then said they are going to be changed. nothing at all seems to be ready for this ks. i feel your are just gambling with your money and maybe 2 years before it is sent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I perused this thread before deciding to pull the trigger. I had the exact same concerns the rest of you guys have shared before even checking this thread out.

So now I'm watching the Ash vs the Evil Dead marathon on Starz and of course became fully convinced to go all in on the kickstarter. But of course I have to do my due diligence and make a cursory check here on BGG. Lo and behold I'm not the only one who thought this campaign was a bit fishy. Mind changed. Thanks for saving my wallet BGG buddies!

And turn on Starz right now to watch Ash vs Evil Dead! Such a groovy show!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
von wildensee wrote:
rickfuss wrote:

That Nov 2016 release date was super naive. I chuckled when I read that.

Anyways, already delayed to Spring 2017. See below. Backers should expect I would think more like fall 2017 once the dust settles, IMO.

SGP update wrote:
Hold ups on the licensor's end of things have complicated development in not entirely unexpected ways. Long story short, the licensor is changing up release schedules on us. This is both good and bad: bad because it means our release will be later than initially announced, good because that's time everyone can benefit from. Once this new schedule is locked in place with both licensor and manufacturer, we'll make a formal announce; it's sounding like early Spring 2017, so I'm going with that for now

Things that should have been cleared up before the campaign even began. Sounds like amateur hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly sure they will produce something, however I rather suspect it will be terrible. It's worrying that there are comments about the licensing deadline - this rather smacks of "oh crap, our IP license is about to expire - we had a vague idea about a boardgame, let's get something together with minis and a Necronomicon box - that'll make a decent amount on KS". Very, very disappointing, given what IP they have.

I may be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Zube
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
"Something tells me I could easily beat those trained professionals."
badge
You were doing well until everyone died.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most unfortunately, there are other IP-based Kickstarters running right now who are struggling to keep funding rolling, and Evil Dead is not despite its ridiculously amateur setup. Armoerd Core and The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary have much more thought put into them, well-respected designers, and great production values, and neither of them are funding as well as Evil Dead 2. This definitely goes to show that the more KS backers jump in for name and theme than any kind of indicators of quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragoonWho wrote:
This definitely goes to show that the more KS backers jump in for name and theme than any kind of indicators of quality.

100% agree, however, I think this was proven accurate when Exploding Kittens raised over 8.78 million on Kickstater

Currently, I am backed both Evil Dead 2 and WD No Sanctuary but I still haven't been able to shake this bad feeling about ED2. Awesome IP but ED game play just doesn't seem much more than flipping a card, place a token, move your piece and combat

Maybe they will continue to add more game play before the KS campaign ends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
dragoonWho wrote:
This definitely goes to show that the more KS backers jump in for name and theme than any kind of indicators of quality.

100% agree, however, I think this was proven accurate when Exploding Kittens raised over 8.78 million on Kickstarter

There are still scientists out there exploring how re-skinned Uno made that much money during a kickstarter. It may go down as one of the grestest unsolved mysteries ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Rey
France
LYON
flag msg tools
belial1134 wrote:

I fear the same.....but even with this delay, we will all play Evil Dead 2 before Conan !!! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.