17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Alternative to Werewolf rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Brunson

Florida
msg tools
My wife and I played Werewolf recently at Dice Tower and enjoyed it. We'd like to purchase it, but a majority of the friends we'd play with aren't into Fantasy/Horror. Any suggestions for a similar game? Most other themes would be alright... western, modern, sci-fi, etc..

So far I've collected this list of possibilities: Two Rooms and a Boom, Mafia de Cuba, One Night Revolution, Spyfall, and Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. Other suggestions are most welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most common suggestion is The Resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played all of those Luis...

Depends on what you are looking for in depth really.

Lighter, very simlar with larger, read 6-8, people the One Night Revolution is great. SciFi Dystopian fits what you like.

If you want fast light and fun, Spyfall is great, but very crowd dependent. (as are most of these games honestly)

Mafia went over well the other night and works well. Very goodfellas, God Father feel to it.

Deception is a bit more of a game to it, along the lines of Mysterium. Takes a little longer and doesn't promote as much conversation as the others in my plays. It requires a little more of your attention.

Another option is New Salem. IT's a fun take with the same kind of feel with card drafting and an game that gets better the more you play it.

Western opens up Bang, and its cousin Bang the Dice game but they are a little lower on my scale than the ones I mentioned.

I hope that helps! The nice thing is most of these are not overly expensive so one can afford to try a few. The other thing is they are really group, and atmosphere dependent, and even that can change with one or two people changing in a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Battlestar Galactica
The Resistance
Coup
BANG! The Dice Game
BANG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Brunson

Florida
msg tools
I played BANG! once a long time ago, and I've played BANG! The Dice Game a a few times. To me it feels more like King of Tokyo than Werewolf.

Coup I've played. I really like it, but I think we're definitely looking for a party game with lots of conversation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Nosferatu (superior to Coup, Werewolf and Mafia de Cuba, IMO)
27th Passenger: A Hunt On Rails - much more involved, plays to 6
Blood Bound - 6-12 players, 30-45 minutes, very good.

and maybe Saboteur - not quite what you asked for, but good, cheap, and tiny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyfall

Werewolf and resistance are rubbish that devolves into shouting matches. Spyfall is an actual game that forces you to think creatively, a round plays in less than 10 minutes, and almost always ends with laughter and clamoring to play "just one more".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played this but it look good and i think its in the same genre:

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevyn Hey
United States
Alfred
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's literally just the theme, there's a common re-theme of Werewolf called Mafia (I'm not sure which came first). I don't know if there are published versions of Mafia, but my group plays by drawing slips of paper from a cup.

Villager --> Civilian
Werewolf --> Mafia
Seer --> Investigator

for the most common roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Aisur wrote:
If it's literally just the theme, there's a common re-theme of Werewolf called Mafia (I'm not sure which came first). I don't know if there are published versions of Mafia, but my group plays by drawing slips of paper from a cup.

Villager --> Civilian
Werewolf --> Mafia
Seer --> Investigator

for the most common roles.

Mafia came first - c1990 in Russia. Originally the villagers were the Mafia, werewolves were undercover police, the seer was a corrupt cop! The police were trying to catch all the Mafia, and the Mafia were eliminating undercover detectives - a much darker theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday.

Quote:
Are you are a traitor to the glorious communist revolution? Do you uphold the principles or have you been corrupted by the forces of Greed, Power, and Corruption? And if you are loyal, can you ferret out the traitors before you are sent to Siberia?

Find it here - http://www.interactivitiesink.com/larps/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fan of Werewolf here, so for hidden role games, my favorites include:

The Resistance
Saboteur
Shadow Hunters
Coup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Last Banquet
and to a lesser degree Mascarade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Werewolf for years as the game "Mafia" never knowing that the Werewolf theme was the more common variant. We never had a published version, but used a role randomizer like a deck of cards to select who the mafia would be, who the cops would be and who were just regular townspeople.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
justrick wrote:
Spyfall

Werewolf and resistance are rubbish that devolves into shouting matches. Spyfall is an actual game that forces you to think creatively, a round plays in less than 10 minutes, and almost always ends with laughter and clamoring to play "just one more".

Must be your group. All of our games are full of laughter and fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoax (second edition)

Good Cop Bad Cop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the group. They're just poorly designed games in my opinion. There's no game to it! The resistance players just sit and wait for a mission and play a pass token. The spies (unless there's two of them), throw a fail. Then the next 5-10 minutes is spent discussing who everybody thinks failed said mission. Which is impossible to deduce because the game doesn't do anything besides telling you to look into eachothers eyes and figure it out. Let's say at best each mission lasts 6 minutes (between voting to send the mission, voting to pass the mission, and deliberating. If the game lasts to the 5th mission, that's a 30 minute game. Cool. But what did you do that whole time. You argued about whether or not someone got dealt a red or blue card, with absolutely no evidence to support anyone's claims! No thanks, I'll stick with Spyfall, or spend those 30 minutes arguing, or just talking, with people about something that actually matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.