BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New Through - should I get it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kara
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got back into this hobby about two years ago. For most of that time, I was unable to get my husband interested in playing so mostly I played solo. Recently, I sucked him in with a theme and low-luck game I thought for sure he would like - Tesla vs Edison. Turns out I was right and he's really enjoying playing it and now wants to try more games (yeah!). Strangely enough, it turns out that the theme is not that important to him. He is a big fan of Sid Meier's Civilization computer game so I'm thinking he will like 4x games. I kickstarted Scythe and just got it in the mail so we will be trying that this weekend. However, I have been researching 4x board games. I originally thought we'd try Clash of Cultures, but I see that there is a new Through the Ages out that fixes the military issues with 2 player games. So my question is - if I own Scythe (and assuming he likes it), should I still get New Through? Same question for Terra Mystica.

Note, most of the games we play will be 2 player and time is not an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say try Scythe and see if he likes how that plays. If he does, then move forward with your plans. Clash of Cultures is a good second option. If length is not an issue, then I'd suggest checking out Star Wars: Rebellion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I can't comment on your main question as I haven't played either, but I've seen it stated quite a few times that Terra Mystica is not at its best with two.
(...I've just looked it up on the BGG page, and nearly 50% say they don't recommend it with just two players)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He might miss the map aspect in TtA, but it is a great 2-player game. TM lacks as a 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not get Sid Meier's Civilization since he likes Sid Meier's Civilization?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
auroramu wrote:
I got back into this hobby about two years ago. For most of that time, I was unable to get my husband interested in playing so mostly I played solo. Recently, I sucked him in with a theme and low-luck game I thought for sure he would like - Tesla vs Edison. Turns out I was right and he's really enjoying playing it and now wants to try more games (yeah!). Strangely enough, it turns out that the theme is not that important to him. He is a big fan of Sid Meier's Civilization computer game so I'm thinking he will like 4x games. I kickstarted Scythe and just got it in the mail so we will be trying that this weekend. However, I have been researching 4x board games. I originally thought we'd try Clash of Cultures, but I see that there is a new Through the Ages out that fixes the military issues with 2 player games. So my question is - if I own Scythe (and assuming he likes it), should I still get New Through? Same question for Terra Mystica.

Note, most of the games we play will be 2 player and time is not an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Clash of Cultures plays quite well with 2 to be honest. Either aggressive or passive and build up, both work fine.

While not 4x Merchants and Marauders is best with 2 as well in my somewhat slanted opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
DoomTurtle wrote:
Why not get Sid Meier's Civilization since he likes Sid Meier's Civilization?

because through the ages is the better board game version of sid meier's civilization.

and hell yeah, you should get it. it's such an amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I really like Sid Meier's Civilization (with four players), both Clash of Cultures and Through the Ages work much better with two players.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna bust your hype.

TTA... it is very good. BUT, the main and real reason why I will never recommend it is because of the play time it take. There is also quite a lot of manipulation of resources that put some downtime in it. You can play it online for free. My friend owned a copy of TTA, we played it like 2-3 times in 4 years and he must have played it 300 time online or even more.

Guess what? He traded away his copy for a lower ranked game for this simple but very important reason. He don't see himself play it live again or hit the table and I was totally in line with him. I also played it maybe 50 time online.

If you looking for this game, I strongly recommend to go with Nations instead. I own it, enjoy it and it gonna be played live!!! This is the biggest reason. I even played a game with a none gamer 3 weeks ago, i obviously crushed him but because he made many mistake in the last round, otherwise he was playing impressively descent for a none board gamer.

Follow this recommendation and don't look back, TTA will only eventually sleep on your shelves if you buy it

I personally didnt enjoyed Terra Mistica as much as all the other on BGG, i only played it twice but I really feel this game is over rated, its an ok game for me. I was not amazed with the art too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention. TTA you will see all cards of the game each game you play, only the order change. This make the game very Mathematical.

For Nation, youll see maybe 20% of the cards each game, which make the game Tactical, there is more randomness in it. Each game will feel a bit more different and youll end up with a different tableau. A good example is, you could build up an army but you are not sure if there will be a war card on the board the next round. Some rounds will show more wonders or buldings etc...

Again both are really good, If it would not be the difference of play time I'm the kind of guy who would tend to go with TTA. It has more meat in it. You'll find a bigger margin between the beginner and hardcore player because it is more around maths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:
I'm gonna bust your hype.

TTA... it is very good. BUT, the main and real reason why I will never recommend it is because of the play time it take. There is also quite a lot of manipulation of resources that put some downtime in it. You can play it online for free. My friend owned a copy of TTA, we played it like 2-3 times in 4 years and he must have played it 300 time online or even more.

Guess what? He traded away his copy for a lower ranked game for this simple but very important reason. He don't see himself play it live again or hit the table and I was totally in line with him. I also played it maybe 50 time online.

If you looking for this game, I strongly recommend to go with Nations instead. I own it, enjoy it and it gonna be played live!!! This is the biggest reason. I even played a game with a none gamer 3 weeks ago, i obviously crushed him but because he made many mistake in the last round, otherwise he was playing impressively descent for a none board gamer.

Follow this recommendation and don't look back, TTA will only eventually sleep on your shelves if you buy it

I personally didnt enjoyed Terra Mistica as much as all the other on BGG, i only played it twice but I really feel this game is over rated, its an ok game for me. I was not amazed with the art too.

You are assuming that all players do not enjoy long games. Iam going to bust your anti-hpye, many players enjoy longer games. 3 hours is not even long at all, but rather, maybe slightly above my groups average play time per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 hours is for experienced players, even the BGG page show 240 minutes.

Did i said it is bad game? not at all

I gave my opinion, if OP prefer 4 hours game vs 60-120 minutes game depending on player count it is up to him. Nations best player count is 3, for a 90 minutes experience. Both games achieve their creation goals.

I even said that if both game would take the same time, I would tend to opt for TTA. But since Nations take half the play time of TTA, I go with Nations personally.

If for OP/readers, playtime have no value at all in their game selection, they will be more happy with TTA. But 4 hours games is not for everybody. And people have to keep in mind that they can play 2 different heavy euro games in the same time they would play only 1 TTA game.

TTA this month have 557 games recorded for both editions combined.
19 559 owners
that make 0.028 game per owner this month
weight 4.30

Nations this month have 183 games recorded without considering the 14 games people entered under the expansion Dynasties
7797 owners
that make 0.023 game per owner this month
weight 3.52

This look pretty similar to me except nations play faster and is a little less heavy and have a lower play time requirement.

this is my 2 cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
for awhile, my game group was playing tta every week. and we were getting a four player game done in 2-3 hours. sure, it takes awhile if you don't play it often, or have slow players. but if you enjoy it, and it hits the table a lot, it won't necessarily take that long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is a light-medium/medium, simple game, with next to no stress / game playback.

Through the Ages is a game that will punish you, while other players will punish you if you leave yourself open while juggling everything you need to get points, but points are all you actually need (but without everything else, you will never get them).

Scythe suffers from a large open map with 2, which may be absolved with more players. It also dis incentivizes combat, and has a rather cheeky action selection system, which is rather similar to COIN games command + Special command.

Through the Ages has no map, and is great with 2 (although a bit simpler than any other player count). Creating a cold war type experience is rather important in a 2p game.

Scythe can be hammered out in a bout 1 hr, it is an alright game with good production quality.

Through the Ages, 3? maybe 4? It is an excellent game, but doesn't look quite as pretty (being mostly cards and cubes)

The whole point the above is... Scythe will have no bearing on whether or not Through the ages would be enjoyable. Apples to Papayas.

Further neither Scythe, TtA, or Terra Mystica are 4x games really. Although Through the Ages is by far the closest. Scythe is what, 2.5x if being generous?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for a good 2 player game with war as a theme? If so, consider Twilight Struggle, this game is amazing, deep and tense. You feel like in the cold war when playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great replies!

It sounds like New Through will be different enough from Scythe that it won't be an issue to have both in my collection. I'm adding it back to my wishlist. But maybe not Terra Mystica since it might not be the best w/ just two.

I'll also look more into Nations (for a shorter game) and Clash of Cultures.

I already have Twilight Struggle. We're looking forward to trying it, but haven't yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.