Subject: Gaming at the Park, on Grass rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I organize a board game meetup and, with the weather being nice, thought it would be fun to schedule one at the local park. Our park doesn't have picnic tables or anything, so we would need to game on the grass.

So this made me have two thoughts:

1. What games would play well on grass, with wind? Hive, obviously. But I can't think of many multiplayer games.
2. What games would be easy to make and awesome in giant form? For example, I could go to Kinko's and have giant versions of Carcasonne tiles printed on thick cardboard, perhaps. That'd get some attention. But what do I do for meeples? And, if you're going to make a game like that, something which supports more than 4 players would be better.

Anyone have any good ideas? Either something that will work out of the box, or which wouldn't be too extreme to make and would support ~6 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits & Wagers Party
Telestrations
Blokus
Dotzee
Pit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smiley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have seen some of the Looney Labs pyramid games done with giant homemade pyramids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Uncther wrote:
I have seen some of the Looney Labs pyramid games done with giant homemade pyramids.

Looking through this, that does seem like a good option. I could probably modify these things into pyramids by drawing pips on them. They wouldn't be different sizes, but that doesn't seem to matter for many of the games.

I'm also thinking of Clans and Ricochet Robots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Varboncouer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Six player games might be a little harder but here are some games that jumped to mind for outdoor play

Giant sized homemade or premade Jenga: http://www.target.com/p/giant-sized-jumbling-tower-game-with...

Hanabi: Deluxe version has tiles instead of cards but I believe only up to 5

Pyramix: only up to 4

Qwirkle: only up to 4

Qwixx: you can laminate the score sheets or there is a "deluxe" version where already laminated. Again only up to 5 I believe

Spyfall: I have not played it but I think you could simply hold your cards

Electronic Catch Phrase: we always enjoy this in my family and no surface required

Zombie Dice: not deepest game but can play 6

Liar's Dice: high play number

If you play any dice games I made these cheap dice trays that you wouldnt have to worry about ruining: cheap dice trays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Varboncouer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Oh, and how about playing cockroach poker with tiles instead of cards? You would simply need 64 tiles with 8 different colors or numbers. I believe the tiles from Sumoku would work. I played cockroach poker for the first time with 6 people this weekend and it was a big hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always just buy a nice big picnic blanket to play on in the park.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
pixel pusher wrote:
You could always just buy a nice big picnic blanket to play on in the park.

^^^^ Surely this.

If there are lots of people, Werewolf, or Two Rooms and a Boom (get a second blanket).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How about bringing a soccer ball to kick around or a football or Frisbee to toss around? Might be a nice break for your group to get away from playing board games and interact in a different manner.

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but sometimes its good think outside the box and get out of your comfort zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geraint & Rhyannon
Wales
Briton Ferry
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations could work - you never need to put the books down and the cards can stay in the box the majority of the time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 or cribbage, on a blanket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
overhaul wrote:

Qwirkle: only up to 4

The copy my friends have says "2+ players" and we played it with 5. It wasn't much different with 5 than 4 (I suspect it's best with 3 or 2).

AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
For example, I could go to Kinko's and have giant versions of Carcasonne tiles printed on thick cardboard, perhaps. That'd get some attention. But what do I do for meeples? And, if you're going to make a game like that, something which supports more than 4 players would be better.

Carcasonne supports 5, 6 with an expansion. Plastic skittles for meeples? They might roll about as farmers. Moving about to place tiles could be tricky if the tiles were really big. It also sounds expensive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance - put your character cards somewhere after you've looked at them and use an alternative method to keep score. Actually I'd just use playing card + pencil & paper (or a small blackboard & chalk).

Gemblo plays 2-6 and is all plastic.

Priests of Ra or Ra play up to 5 though the tiles are a bit small (a picnic blanket would probably be sensible)

Eight-Minute Empire - 2-5p would probably be reasonably easy to make a giant set, but there are still cards...

Hey, That's My Fish! - you could make a giant set, but lots of hexes to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.