Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on etiquette regarding priority of paid abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Eriksson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi,

I have been hooked on Android: Netrunner for about half a year now, and I will soon enter my first tournament. I have a question about competitive etiquette.

Whenever there's a tension that boils down to priority timing, e.g. Scorched Earth vs. Sports Hopper, Jackson Howard vs. Hades Shard, or any fast advance deck vs. Clot, what is the proper way to resolve such situations?

For example, suppose the Runner is tagged, has 3 cards in his grip, and has a Sports Hopper. The Runner passes his turn to me, I draw my mandatory card and now I want to play Scorched Earth for the win. However, there's a window for paid abilities after the draw phase, so the Runner has the opportunity to use SH before I can play SE.

Is it my responsibility to ask the Runner if he wants to use this window, or the Runner's responsibility to claim priority? Suppose I'm playing some inconspicuous HB deck and the Runner has no reason to expect Scorched Earth? By asking "do you want to use any abilities before I make my click?", I'd be raising a lot of suspicion.

Are there any unwritten rules about such situations, or do you just have to play by ear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just make a decently long pause and ask for a "yes"? or "ok"?

As in, "Let's see, I start the turn, draw a card,...do I get anything at the start of a turn? No. Anything for you? no. Ok, then on my first click I will...hmm, let's play a Scorched Earth. I think I win, right?".

On FA you have to be more careful nowadays. You cannot say biotic, install, triple advance and score. That is simply not ok.

Once your trick is known (say, they access a san san) it is much simpler. Simply say that you will not ask for windows but will play slow. If he wants to use some ability he has to interrupt you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Officially, if you don't check the other player has passed priority, then they can request you take back UNLESS you agree on the use of a shortcut at the beginning of the match.

A shortcut can be something along the lines of you saying "click one" - *pause for agreed length of time for player to use paid abilities* - "play [card]".

Doing this allows you to announce your intention to take an action (and give the other player a chance to respond) without announcing what the action is. Otherwise you should be checking in each paid window that they could act in if they wish to act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! As someone who will also likely start playing outside my regular group this fall, this was something I wanted to know too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.