Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drag & Bag, part 1

This scenario is nice because it highlights three of TAC's many great qualities.

First, it can be played with minimal setup on nearly any flat surface. To wit, the desk in my hotel room:

I haven't decided if the light will move as needed, or act as a cloud bank.

Second

It allows you to see in stark relief the differences in the performance characteristics of different planes. To wit, the P-47D Thunderbolt vs. the Ki-43 Oscar:

Remember the initiative rules for this one. The listed winner moves second, with the Japanese always moving an element last when they outnumber the Americans.

T1 American

The Thunderbolt opts to climb (gain energy) while turning away from the trailing Japanese fighters.

T2 American

The lead Oscar gains 1e while the P-47 does the same.

T3 American

More of the same, but note that losing initiative (and choosing the lead plane) forces the lead Ki-43 to turn out to be certain the Americans wouldn't be able to train all 8 .50 cal MG's on them.

T4 Japan

I think the Japanese may have already lost their tactical advantage. The Thinderbolt has regained full energy.

T6 American

The Japanese are trying to anticipate how they might trap the P-47.

T7 American

T8 American

The Americans are happy to just fly on at max speed. Laying their own trap perhaps?

T9 American

The Japanese are getting no closer.

T10 American

The Thunderbolts are apparently trying to get into the fight now.

T11 Japan

T12 American

The Americans close for a shot but the second Oscar element does the same.

Japan scores 1 hit for no damage, the US 2 hits for no damage (snake-eyes on the damage rolls)!

T13 Japan

Unable to perform an Immelmann due to potential stacking problems, the P-47 pilots think that they can fly past the Japanese safely. The Oscar's one benefit, though, is maneuverability, and both planes close for a shot!

They manage a total of 1 hit for (barely) no damage.

T14 American

An Immelmann for the American, another round where everyone shoots.

Both sides score 1 hit for 1 damage!

T15 American

Eleven out of fifteen?!?! I wonder if there needs to be a house rule about initiative?!?!?

The P-47!power dives but it isn't enough to get clear of the nimble Oscars, which use 1 energy to close, score 2 hits but no damage.

T16 Japan

Now left with no energy the Thunderbolt looks to flee the scene.

T17 American

Possessing a huge speed advantage the American plane climbs and banks, not yet ready to flee the scene.

T18 Japan

T19 Japan

T20 American

Everyone is full energy now

T21 American

No shots

T22 American

Japan first move

Followed by a US Immelmann and a Ki-43 element closing in.

And everyone misses

T23 American

Another power dive and the US is on the deck again

T24 American

To stay in the fight the Thunderbolt is going to have to take some chances.

T27 American

T28 American

T29 Japan

T30 American

It is technically still on the table!

T31 Japan

The Japanese think they have him penned in, but he is so fast.

T32 Japan

T33 American

"Tracers!"

Missed...

T34 American

Another Immelmann is no use...

T35 Japan

Another power dive for the US, another loop around for the Japanese.

T36 American

The Japanese are trying to keep their foe penned in by anticipating where the faster plane will end up. That may have backfired here.

T37 Japan

P-47 turns its hardest at stall speed

And both Oscars get into shooting position. Even at such high deflection the Japanese score a hit, but do no damage to the tough as nails US plane.

T38 Japan

Knowing it couldn't move fast enough to get out of range, the P-47 climbed as quickly as possible to regain an energy, but still had three enemies in its tail. Both miss their shots.

T39 American

More speed last turn would have let the American escape. Lesson learned, if it's not too late.

And it is too late - the Japanese score 1 hit for 1 damage and shoot the lone survivor down.

And so there is yet another AAR where I'm unable to utilize an energy fighter to defeat a turn fighter. This scenario was fun though, it was a blast trying to move the slow Japanese planes in a way that would keep the P-47 penned in. It seemed to me that even when I used the P-47's speed advantage, the Oscars were able to force it to at best trade shots. So this was a long one, but it was fun and informative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I overlook the third referred to quality?

I will bring this on my next work trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
Did I overlook the third referred to quality?

I will bring this on my next work trip.

Forgot to edit that put. I was going to say "it plays quick," but 39 turns later I didn't think this particular game emphasized that point. Check this AAR for a quick game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Dickerson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A few things I noticed...

1) When the P-47 climbs, he does not GAIN energy, rather he *expends* it in climbing. What he does gain is POTENTIAL energy which he can later trade for speed. An important difference.

2) When the P-47 "power dives" that should be game over, at least in terms of proximity between the Japanese and US planes. No way an Oscar is going to stay anywhere close to a Jug in a dive.

3) Scenario setup (on the card): If the leading IJAAF pair is being pursued in a level tail chase, the Jugs will almost certainly catch them, unless they climbed to reach their trailing position to begin the engagement. The "bagging" Oscars would have to time their bounce to within an inch of their lucky lives, and then would have to be extremely lucky to deal enough damage, even if this is a late Oscar with heavier 12.7mm MGs than the measly 7.7mm pair the early Oscars had. *If* the Oscars manage to get in a decent bounce, the Jugs will extend away long before they sustain any telling damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Energy is a game term that is tracked so gaining energy refers to how much potential energy it has, but that's an extra word in an already looking my AAR.

It would have been very easy for the P-47 to fly away without taking any damage, I wanted to fight it out to the end. The Oscars never had a chance of catching the Thunderbolt. What they were able to do was keep themselves in position to ensure that any time the P-47 was able to get a shot at one of them, at least one other Oscar got one too. The rest was up to the dice.

My review of Table Air Combatngoes into exhaustive detail about the game. You can also get a free download of the complete rules at Wargamevault.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Dickerson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That shot-exchange strategy is a real losing proposition for the IJAAF... 8 x 50s on target per shot against a plane that can take only a fraction of the damage a Jug can withstand isn't going to work out on the dice... unless the Oscar can score a freak critical hit.

I'd think if you were trying to illustrate how Drag n Bag tactics work, your matchup should be more something like Zeros vs. Wildcats over Guadalcanal. Demonstrate the effectiveness of the Thach Weave (I think that's probably the more historical term for "Drag 'n Bag) with planes that are a little more evenly matched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of the Thatch weave but don't know what it looks like in practical terms.nim generally, I think, a below average pilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stiglr wrote:
That shot-exchange strategy is a real losing proposition for the IJAAF... 8 x 50s on target per shot against a plane that can take only a fraction of the damage a Jug can withstand isn't going to work out on the dice... unless the Oscar can score a freak critical hit.

I'd think if you were trying to illustrate how Drag n Bag tactics work, your matchup should be more something like Zeros vs. Wildcats over Guadalcanal. Demonstrate the effectiveness of the Thach Weave (I think that's probably the more historical term for "Drag 'n Bag) with planes that are a little more evenly matched.

I think Drag n Bag is just this scenario name to suggest the idea of leading the P-47 into an ambush. With only one counter the P-47 cannot do a Thach Weave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Drag & Bag is the scenario name. I took Allen to mean that I should have had the Oscars do the Thatch weave, which is probably true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating AAR

Thanks. For a simple system, looks like it highlights some accuracy in the combat dynamic between these two foes.. The Oscars are more agile, the Jugs faster.

Even in a complex game like FW, the dogfight would probably end up being similar with the Oscars always cutting inside the Jugs and the Jugs going for the bullish head on charges pitting their durability and firepower against the Oscars which would have to try and dance out of the way then get a shot as the Jugs go by.

I am not familiar with the game system or its scale though, so can't really comment on its accuracy or inaccuracy with regards to modeling flight.

But - its always good to see more airplane games out there.

cheers,

J.D. Webster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdakapluto wrote:
Fascinating AAR

Thanks. For a simple system, looks like it highlights some accuracy in the combat dynamic between these two foes.. The Oscars are more agile, the Jugs faster.

Even in a complex game like FW, the dogfight would probably end up being similar with the Oscars always cutting inside the Jugs and the Jugs going for the bullish head on charges pitting their durability and firepower against the Oscars which would have to try and dance out of the way then get a shot as the Jugs go by.

I am not familiar with the game system or its scale though, so can't really comment on its accuracy or inaccuracy with regards to modeling flight.

But - its always good to see more airplane games out there.

cheers,

J.D. Webster

Wow, thanks for commenting! Whistling Death and Buffalo Wings are on my bucket list, high on it actually.

You can download the Table Air Combat game rules for free on Wargame Vault, if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brown
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stiglr wrote:

I think the Thach Weave is modeled into a two plane set, and when it is flipped over all planes have their defense drooped by at least one. In this game it is hard to module the defense of a weave except by having a two plane counter have better defense.

Just my 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiple counters can cover each other including thatch weave like maneuvers especially if you have the last moving counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nelson
msg tools
topman1 wrote:

I think the Thach Weave is modeled into a two plane set, and when it is flipped over all planes have their defense drooped by at least one. In this game it is hard to module the defense of a weave except by having a two plane counter have better defense.

The Thach weave is kind-of modeled into the two-plane "element". Mostly, defense is having a wingman off to one side to watch in the leader's blind spot (which was horrendous on the Wildcat, Hellcat, and early Thunderbolts). The Thach weave does work with two elements against each other, but if you really want to do it realistically, use two individual planes (half-elements) instead of a full one. The planes should be separated by the same distance as their turn circle. This will allow either plane to circle and cover his partner's tail when an enemy attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.