Subject: Games different from the few we own? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have only recently begun purchasing board games after realizing how much more fun my family has sitting around a table with Cluedo or Monopoly City rather than playing video games. What I'm trying to do is get a feel of what mechanics, complexity and game length suits everybody, so I'm trying to buy games that play unique to the rest of the collection. Our current collection is as follows:

Cluedo & Monopoly City - both bought for my 10 year old daughter who enjoys the former much more than the latter. In fact, neither her nor my wife enjoys playing Monopoly with me any more...
Pandemic - we all enjoy playing this, but not too frequently.
Splendor - enjoyed far more by my daughter than by my wife, who doesn't get much into the theme.
7 Wonders: Duel - I enjoy this game, though my wife isn't a big fan. She's not entirely sure why; perhaps card games just aren't her thing!
Stone Age - wife and I both love this, but my daughter (unexpectedly) doesn't enjoy it. I expected that to be a good game to get my daughter into heavier worker placement games, which is where my own preference lies.
Castles of Burgundy - our most recent acquisition. This is my favourite game I've played, and my wife (unexpectedly) also really enjoys it. I actually thought the heavier strategy wouldn't appeal to her.
Magic: The Gathering - my daughter's go-to game. Wife doesn't like it.
Small World - purchased, should receive next week. REALLY hoping I've found the first game my wife and daughter both enjoy.

The top four on my wishlist are Mysterium, Scythe, Roll for the Galaxy and Isle of Skye, though I see Terra Mystica and Caverna: The Cave Farmers and reckon I'd love them.

So we have a worker placement, co-op, card drafting, CCG, area control and tile placement game. We almost always play with either two or three players. Are there any other games you think could work well to expand the collection in different mechanic directions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Crosslin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I play a lot with my wife and daughter also. These games have all gone over well.

A Deckbuilder like Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game or Core Worlds
A Civ Game like The Golden Ages
A Co-op like The Grizzled
A Hidden Movement like Letters from Whitechapel, although we are excited for The Last Friday
A great worker placement like Viticulture

Oh and one note about Pandemic, my daughter absolutely loved playing Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 because of the excitement of the legacy aspect and opening boxes and documents after each game.

Good luck and happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that seems like it might be a good fit with theme, weight, and game play: Lewis & Clark

I also have a sense that La Granja might be a good fit, especially with your wife that likes Stone Age.

Perhaps Suburbia, it's about building with tiles and having the tiles interact, like Castles of Burgundy but a bit different (no dice).

Caverna is really good, but seems like it might be a bit overwhelming at the moment.

---

If you want something different and you're experimenting, you might consider more abstract games, like Qwirkle, Ingenious, IOTA, or something like that.

You don't really have any push your luck games, like Can't Stop.

You could try pick up and deliver, like Cinque Terre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple of thoughts on games that are not too heavy:
Pickup and Deliver - Cinque Terre or Ophir
City building - New York 1901
Deduction - Mr. Jack or Le Fantôme de l'Opéra but they only play 2
Racing - Snow Tails
Deckbuilder - Trains
Feld - since you and your wife like Castles of Burgundy, look at Bruges. It's a card based game with lots of opportunities to score points
Cooperative- Flash Point: Fire Rescue feels more visceral to me than Pandemic. Another great (but more difficult) one is Freedom: The Underground Railroad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally for movement/action programming
Shadows over Camelot for coop with a bit of social deduction
Any of the Legendary games (depending on which theme you like) for deckbuilding
Fury of Dracula (third edition) for hidden movement/deduction

Also, if you're still looking to get your daughter interested in worker placement games, I'd recommend Lords of Waterdeep. About as accessible as Stone Age, and the theme is a mix of Splendor and Magic, both of which your daughter seems to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye is great and has tile placement and my fav mechanism, auction/bidding. Some people might take it personally when you take their tiles so be careful.

Another option might be Biblios. Cheap fast and simple rules, plays great with all player counts and probably in my top five. My whole family loves this game and we have given it as a gift before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patti-Jo Lacey
Canada
Owen Sound
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
If you like betting games, Camel Up is a hoot! My boys laugh and cheer every time we play. We also really like Munchkin and Smash UP. We just bought Steampunk Rally and we can't wait to play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mt4b3n wrote:

So we have a worker placement, co-op, card drafting, CCG, area control and tile placement game. We almost always play with either two or three players. Are there any other games you think could work well to expand the collection in different mechanic directions?

You should try Ticket to Ride: Europe and Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 3 – The Heart of Africa - The base TTR Europe is quite fun, and Africa changes things up quite a bit. If you wanted to just play 2/3 players, then Nordic can be quite fun, but usually not a first TTR game to get. Set collection/push your luck.

Concordia - is fun mechanic of actions from a hand of cards. Game looks a little complex, but is thankfully very easy to explain. Straightforward rules, complex strategies. Have not played with two, so can't vouch for how good it is that way.

Also check out Saint Petersburg (second edition) for three player card management.

I'm a big fan of Chicago Express, but it's not for two players. Auctions and some stock dealings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterium is definitely worth the purchase. It's the game in my collection (along with Codenames) that is universally loved. With that being said, I'd also recommend Codenames (or perhaps the upcoming Codenames: Pictures).

Terra Mystica is very heavy, but offers a large amount of replayability due to the random setup of round scoring and unique player abilities.

Some other games I would recommend that offer some varied mechanics:

Bananagrams - A great word game that plays pretty quickly.
Carcassonne - A classic tile placement game that's great for the family.
Coup - A quick to play bluffing/deduction game.
King of New York - A dice game that's a lot of fun.
Niagara - A fun family game (make sure to get The Spirits of Niagara expansion too).
Thurn and Taxis - A really nice network building game.
Vikings - A reasonably quick to play game with a very interesting purchasing mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul - beautiful game with variable game board. There is also an expansion: Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh and another one coming up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looking at the game you listed that you own, i would not recommend terra mystica, its a lot heavier. Expand to some less heavy games...

You should get Agricola instead of Caverna. in my book its a lot better and all games are different, in Caverna all games have the same setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the ones you are already looking at:

Tajemnicze Domostwo is a coop (although totally different from Pandemic) and I have seen it fall flat with a lot of people (others love it, though).

Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King would be my pick out of these. It is a nice tile-laying game that is very clever and I just love how variable the scoring mechanism is. No 2 games are alike. It is also very different to what you already own, while keeping the same level of complexity.

Outside of what you mentioned:

I would deffinitely recommend Quadropolis (very clever, beautiful and puzzly city building game) and Five Tribes (worker dropment game, totally different from anything I own).

Also, for something more complex, I would recommend Arcadia Quest. It is a competitive dungeon crawl game without dungeon master in which you have a group of 3 cute chibi heroes and you are trying to be better than your opponents. And sometime kill them

Welcome to modern gaming and let us know what you choose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some good introductory games on the list above that seem to fit your tastes so far:
Viticulture - very popular, worker placement
Concordia - a little more complex but still in the right range for you
Voyages of Marco Polo - also a little more complex, but length is similar and has worker placement elements

The best for you, from your list and explanation, would probably be Lords of Waterdeep. It has worker placement and a dungeons and dragons theme, without being too complex or long.

Terra Mystica belongs to a group of games that is much longer and much more complex that is sure to turn off some in your group.

Another way to go is to check out some of the older classic games:
Puert Rico - interesting mechanic where everyone performs the action you pick on your turn.
Ticket to Ride - classic route builder ( similar to Thurns &Taxis) - best to choose Nordic Countries or Asia for three players, not Europe.
Agricola - classic "feed your people" placement ( may be too similar to Stone Age though)
Carcassonne - tile placement that plays 3 but excels as a two player game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched the Rahdo video on Isle of Skye and it looks good too! Tile placement like Carcassonne but also bidding like Goa. Neat looking game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, that's a great list of recommendations! Thank you very much to everybody who responded. I went over a few of them with my wife last night, and she's excited too.

There are a lot of familiar names on there that have now jumped up my wishlist (Concordia, Lords of Waterdeep, Suburbia), and a LOT of games unfamiliar to me that I'm checking out more thoroughly. The only difficulty is finding those lesser-known ones available for sale in New Zealand, where I will buy from whenever possible.

I completely understand the feedback regarding Terra Mystica; I'm certain my family isn't ready for it, but I can't help being drawn to it! I love the idea of large, complex games but I think I'd be playing them solo for the foreseeable future... Would someone mind opining on whether or not Scythe fits into this category? I'd hate to spend all that money and have it sit on the "too-hard" shelf.

Also, is Pandemic Legacy different enough from Pandemic to justify owning both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esed wrote:
Five Tribes (worker dropment game, totally different from anything I own).

It is a mancala game, pick up seeds and sow. A nice execution certainly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mt4b3n wrote:
I completely understand the feedback regarding Terra Mystica; I'm certain my family isn't ready for it, but I can't help being drawn to it! I love the idea of large, complex games but I think I'd be playing them solo for the foreseeable future... Would someone mind opining on whether or not Scythe fits into this category? I'd hate to spend all that money and have it sit on the "too-hard" shelf.

Also, is Pandemic Legacy different enough from Pandemic to justify owning both?

I'm not on the Scythewagon, but I've loosely been following it. That said, I'd say that if Terra Mystica is too complex for now, then Scythe would be, also.

Pandemic Legacy is a campaign game - it's meant to create a narrative experience of playing through a series of linked games which make permanent changes to the gameset. So it's not really an alternate version of the regular game, in the standard sense of alternate. You get 12-24 plays out of it, and then you're done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
euronoob wrote:
Pandemic Legacy is a campaign game - it's meant to create a narrative experience of playing through a series of linked games which make permanent changes to the gameset. So it's not really an alternate version of the regular game, in the standard sense of alternate. You get 12-24 plays out of it, and then you're done.

That actually sounds like a mighty fine game. I hadn't paid it much attention TBH, due to the fact we already owned Pandemic. Wishlisted!

I started with less than 20 games on my wishlist, now I'm up to 29...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that your ten year old is going to be playing, so I've filted for content.

You don't really have any negotiation/bluffing games. Sheriff of Nottingham is a decent place to start.

It polarises people on here, but Tales of the Arabian Nights offers an experience very few other games can achieve.

Same with Space Cadets. It can take a bit of time to pick up, but it's a lot of fun.

You want a full Ameritrash roll and move experience. Ignore the naysayers. Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) has survived this long for a reason.

You don't have a wargame, but maybe that's not something for a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy is the best game ever. Just buy it and forget everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
Roll for the Galaxy is the best game ever. Just buy it and forget everything else.

Awesome, that one's on my wishlist as well!

I've just backed Near and Far on Kickstarter too, after showing my family the video they all decided it was a necessary addition to our collection.

Depending on NZ prices and availability, I'll be getting Talisman, Sheriff of Nottingham, Isle of Skye, Roll for the Galaxy, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Pandemic Legacy, Arcadia Quest or Concordia next. Many of the others are either unavailable or ridiculously overpriced in NZ.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in NZ are you from?

If you are in one of the major cities, you will find lots of board game groups where you can try out games. http://seriouslyboard.co.nz/about/community/

Also, look at joining the NZ forum if you haven't already. https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/102/boardgamegeek/new-zealan...

--------------------

Recommendations for 2-3 player games:
Alhambra - build your own little walled city
Galaxy Trucker - build your own spaceship, then fly it through various obstacles and rewards. There is also a good app for this game, if you don't want to invest in the cardboard.
Suburbia - another one you can play on app before investing in cardboard.

3 or more players:
Catan - amazing game with lots of fun player interaction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
djn1981 wrote:
Where in NZ are you from?

If you are in one of the major cities, you will find lots of board game groups where you can try out games. http://seriouslyboard.co.nz/about/community/

Also, look at joining the NZ forum if you haven't already. https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/102/boardgamegeek/new-zealan...

I'm in Dunedin, and have already made contact with the organizer of a group here. Unfortunately their game days coincide with basketball commitments, so I haven't yet had the chance to participate. Hopefully soon, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.