Subject: Serendipity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chet C.
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mb
Had an incredible series of events during a game yesterday. My opponent was playing as Elder Thing Warriors and I was Geeky Greeks (random picks). Still before our first base scored, he put out his Elder Thing, which cannot be effected by other players' cards. A turn later, he is able to play Potion of Cowardice on my Spartan - minion's ability is canceled and -2 power. I had the perfect cards in hand and was able to play Rules Lawyer to transfer HIS Potion to Elder Thing. Now suddenly it is not impervious to my cards. And of course my next turn after dropping more power on ET's base: ty Minion!

We were only 10 minutes into the game and already had gained 7 points between the two of us just on R'lyeh (Fans and Jason's are easily sacrificed) and ET's Lucky Wishing Ring (first treasure of the game). Just before we scored Elder Thing's base, a third player showed up and we decided to scrap the game so he doesn't have to wait around.

That may be one of the first games in Smash Up history where someone was able to take care of the Elder Thing. And not just take care of, but control? Felt pretty good. Before that moment I thought it was impossible to affect ET. Will definitely go down in my books as an epic moment.

***EDIT***
As described in the below posts, this play was flawed. Transferring an action to a minion is considered affecting the minion. Rules Lawyer therefore cannot transfer an action to Elder Thing, which remains nearly invincible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespert Ilio
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I'm afraid you can't transfer an action to Elder Thing. Having an action attached counts as being affected. By transferring an action to Elder Thing, you would affect it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Vespert wrote:
Hmmm. I'm afraid you can't transfer an action to Elder Thing. Having an action attached counts as being affected. By transferring an action to Elder Thing, you would affect it.

Well it was brief but must have felt good until logic XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zyocuh wrote:
Vespert wrote:

Well it was brief but must have felt good until logic XD

Always happens in Smash Up. I wonder why...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
Cheddarific wrote:

That may be one of the first games in Smash Up history where someone was able to take care of the Elder Thing.

You only need the base set to do that.

The Ninja Dojo Base says "After this base scores, the winner may destroy any one minion."

So you'd be destroying Elder Thing using a base's effect, and bases don't card as "other player's cards".

I don't think controlling it can be done though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mb
Vespert wrote:

You're right! The transfer of Potion of Cowardice could not have taken place because transferring via Rules Lawyer "affects" Elder Thing even though I was transferring my opponent's card. Well it turns out I'm a cheater and didn't even know it.

I need to memorize the definition of "affect." It continues to trip me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.