Subject: Guest Artist Hero Boxes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Boelk
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
If anyone has any input on which guest artist Hero boxes are worth picking up from both the looks and playability of the included heroes I would appreciate it. Looking to get one or two but haven't the slightest which may be the ideal ones. Of course leaning towards Neal Adams because I love his stuff but it may not be functional. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lefty Lefterson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up naide, Stephan Kopinski, and Carl critchlow because each comes with a hero that can also be a necromancer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Some discussion of this already: Any Guest Box you don't recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratimir Ismailobrat
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joltanddestroy wrote:
I picked up naide, Stephan Kopinski, and Carl critchlow because each comes with a hero that can also be a necromancer.

To-Me Ku-Pa (from the Carl Critchlow box) is a necromancer only. He cannot be used as a Survivor. The other two can be used as either a Necromancer or a Survivor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you starting with a KS pledge or retail box? If you have the retail box, I would second the recommendation for the Naiade box to get Ostokar (necro) and Milo (he's a beast). Beyond that, it depends on if you care more about aesthetics/flavor or mechanics. As mentioned, Critchlow and Stefan Kopinski boxes also give new necros; Howe has some new spells I believe.

Personally, I got everything in the KS pledge, plus the Guiton box because I liked the characters. Would have gotten both Kopinksi boxes and the Howe box if price hadn't been an issue, but my wife was already about to kill me. All the rest I'll pass on - can't stand the style (for varying reasons) of Critchlow, Smith, Gipi, Parente, and Adams; Jovem Nerd is okay, but just feels like more of the same.

Edit: Actually, I might get the Adams box if I find a good deal on it at some point, since I passed on the over-priced exclusive Grom & Thalia box during the compaign - Gronstag and Yrina are also essentially Conan and Red Sonja, and I'd drop ~$10 for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karl Kopinski, Stefan Kopinski, and Carl Critchlow just appeared at my FLGS... so I just acquired Stefan and Carl C's because of the Necromancers. To me, these provide more "gameplay" variability.

(I have the knight pledge, so to say I bougth them for the extra survivors would be INSANITY).

Speaking of Insanity, any idea when the other Guest Boxes hit retail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Van der Auwera
Belgium
flag msg tools
I went for Grom & Thalia and am totally digging them... that Barbarian skill is brutal!
Also very nice artwork and miniatures...

On the other hand no fan of Adams art style.

To each his own I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Rey
France
LYON
flag msg tools
Hi.

I bought the Stephan Kopinski and Carl Critchlow boxes. As mentioned before, for the diversity added by the new necro (missed the KS Campaign) and the oversized survivors in the Critchlow one.

I'll do the same for each box adding a necro, and the Neal Adams one for compensating the absence of Grom and Thalia in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.