$60.00
$20.00
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I got to play a session of TIME Stories at our board game cafe, and we really enjoyed the Decksploration aspect of it. I found the story (Asylum) to be creepy in kind of a fun way, but my wife gets more uncomfortable around certain topics.

Extremely spoilers ensue:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Since the games takes place in an insane asylum in the 1920s, there is the poor treatment of patients and the patients themselves have all sorts of creepiness to them. My wife has worked multiple jobs dealing with people with intellectual disabilities, so this theme hit a little personal to her. It gives her a sense of uneasiness and walked away from our session uncomfortable, beyond just "Oh, that game was crazy, whooaaaa."

Ergo, my question is, in the expansions, are there other mature topics that would also make my wife uncomfortable while playing? I'm not sure what all they would be, but it would include:

1. Graphic violence (rated-R, blood and guts type of violence)
2. Rape
3. Abuse to, or killing of, children (we lost a child, so this is too personal for us)
4. Spending time with crazy/insane characters (like Joker from The Dark Knight, she didn't like that)

If the expansions all are a little darker, we'll avoid playing the game. However, if they aren't so dark (I know Prophecy of Dragons has more of a fantasy feel, so it probably won't be as dark, but I don't know what the Marcy Case or Under the Mask delve into), we'd love to finish Asylum and then play through the rest of the stories. We really enjoyed the narrative structure and the gameplay.

I'd prefer as little spoilers as necessary (ex. "Oh, the big reveal at the end of Marcy Case is ______, so you might not like it!" vs "There is a gruesome topic of ______."), and any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Marcy case is about finding a lost girl. I don't think that's too much of a spoiler as it's the whole point of the scenario.

Not sure if that will hit a little too close to home for you guys.
The point is to save the girl though so maybe it's not a problem?

Under the mask should be no trouble at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Castejon
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
The Marcy case is about finding a lost girl. I don't think that's too much of a spoiler as it's the whole point of the scenario.

Which reminds me (heavy Marcy case spoiler)

that not only the girls die really easily, but if you have more than one at the end, you only save one and let the others die.

According to this, it may not be appropriate to OP. But let see what other say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kunonin wrote:
isellsunshine wrote:

Which reminds me (heavy Marcy case spoiler)

that not only the girls die really easily, but if you have more than one at the end, you only save one and let the others die.

According to this, it may not be appropriate to OP. But let see what other say.

Well....I think it's fair to say we try and save one girl/Marcy...we are fresh recruits so we are not 100% certain what happens to the others but ya, I'm thinking they should probably skip the Marcy case due to the sensitive nature of the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all. I'll definitely think about this and see if maybe skipping Marcy Case might be better. Do you miss out on anything by skipping one story?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much

PoD and Mask are really "nice" Scenarios, so play these

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.