A New Star Shines in the Dawn Sky

Unlike most of my other quests, where the theme was integral to how the mechanisms of the quest played out from the start, this one I had the idea for the mechanisms first, and the theme later. I had a really hard time thinking of a situation where a wizard and a ranger chase after a boss. The closest I could come up with was loosely basing it off one of the story arcs in the anime Darker than Black, which while enjoyable was far from my favorite anime, and as you may be able to tell from the flavor text it is hard to remember minor plot points in shows from reading wiki articles. Playtested with 2 heroes but see no reason why it wouldn’t work with more (additional heroes should probably start with a random gear card and +1 gear capacity).

Heroes: Bright Wizard (as Mai) and Waywatcher (as Hei)

Setup:
Enemies: Shuffle elite Goblin Shaman, Gigantic Spider, Gutter Runner, Jezzail Team, Giant Bat, Night Goblin Archer, and 3 standard level 1 enemies together. When spawning enemies for the first location, shuffle Unkel with the other enemies that start in the shadows.
Locations: Shuffle Dark Fissure, Forgotten Armory, Sewer System, and Sleeping Warren together.
Gear and Dungeon Deck: Shuffle 12 open gear cards together. Shuffle 12 open dungeon cards together.
Upgrades: Give the Bright Wizard the equipment Gem of Asuryan and Waywatcher the equipment Grappling Hook. Increase both heroes’ gear capacity by 1.

The new star signals the birth of another Contractor, a person who gains the ability to use a supernatural power – for a price. In Mai’s case, she had been the subject of numerous Contract-relate experiments by a certain Tahara for years, yet it was not until today that in her manifested the power of fire. Now, Mai must chase down this Tahara and force him to reverse the ever-growing presence of the Contract, before the powers she cannot control incinerates not only everyone around her but also herself.

Special Rules:
If Unkel is not engaged with a player when he attempts to retreat, move the peril marker one space forward on the peril track. Peril effects are not activated when moving the peril marker in this way.
Peril Track: Starting spaceGreenGreenGreenGreenGreenGreenGreen - Red
Peril Track Effects:
Green: “Long is the reach of the monolithic corporation Meyer & Hilton, Tahara’s former employer. Their subterfuge erases all tracks of the cause of Mai’s contract.” Heal all enemies in the shadows to full, and shuffle Unkel and all enemies in the shadows facedown back into the shadows.
Red: “Tahara gazes in horror as the glowing plant on his desk, connected to the gem imbued in Mai’s arm, withers and dies.” Mai’s (Bright Wizard’s) powers have gone out of control!

Victory Condition
: If all three locations have been fully explored, resolve “Reward”
Reward: With his dying breath Tahara runs up and embraces Mai. The shock of emotion courses through Mai, and the gem imbued in her arm fades away. With the anger that caused Mai’s powers to be uncontrollable finally gone, the roaring flames around her dissipate, replaced by a sereneness as if to respect he final meeting between a daughter and her dad.
Loss Condition: If Mai’s (Bright Wizard’s) powers go out of control, or all heroes are defeated, resolve “Penalty”.
Penalty: Mai’s pupils sink back into their sockets. The two orifices left in her face first turn Contractor red, than darker than black, before conflagrating into a wreath of flames. An unholy din rings from Mai’s mouth as she engulfs the city with hellfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Hassar
France
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Et voilà:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jiménez
Spain
Galapagar
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Thanks for the Adventure. We have a question about locations. Are there three or four? In "Victory" we can see 3 but in the setup are 4.

Best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whoops, there should be 4 locations. I think originally I was testing it with 3 but then forgot to change the text under "victory".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jiménez
Spain
Galapagar
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Do not worry. Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jiménez
Spain
Galapagar
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Me and my friends are translating that quest to Spanish language. We hope that you have no problem with this. We will not collect money or add any name of us.

Best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No problem whatsoever for translating this, my other quests or future ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Hassar
France
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlechandler wrote:
Whoops, there should be 4 locations. I think originally I was testing it with 3 but then forgot to change the text under "victory".

Here is the corrected card (and in above post as well)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I have played nine games of this Quest both solo and multiplayer and have never been able to beat it.
I don't want to grumble ... we like it ... it is just proving to be very frustrating.

It did take a few games to make sure we were doing everything right, however, we are sure the last six games have been played correctly.
We believe we have discovered the correct strategy to win, but find we always just fall short by a couple of progress tokens (or die from Enemy attacks if we concentrate too much on exploring).

The Special rule seems to be the main issue as you have limited chances to engage the enemy and if you don't engage Unkel then you don't have enough rounds to explore all locations.
If we had just one more round I think we could have won at least two games.
It seems like the luck of the draw has more of an influence on the result than decision making and strategy? (We have not been lucky ... nor unlucky ... to be honest.)
Has anyone else managed to win this scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First of all, keep in mind my favorite co-op is Ghost Stories, and my philosophy is a co-op should be constantly smacking you in the face. Secondly, I recorded a turn by turn play through below. I haven't played this game in a while, so after I played it through I realized I forgot a rule where you have to assign damage prior to flipping over targeted enemies in the shadows. However, considering this only took me one attempt and that I got roughly average luck I think this is about the difficulty I wanted to be (my recordings below might be a little bit off as I might have missed a few dice rolls, but should still be roughly correct). You also have the option of just defeating Unkel rather than worrying about his shenanigans, which I purposefully elected not to do to try to show this is winnable without doing so.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Start: Sewer Systems is start location, Bright Wizard start player, Clanrat engaged with her, 3 facedown enemies in shadows + Unkel

Round 1
Turn 1: Bright Wizard attacks: engaged with Unkel from the shadows. Fireballed a facedown Jezzail Team in the shadows for 3 -1 damage (from critical roll), took 2 - 1 damage (rolled a shield)
Turn 2: Waywatcher aids Bright wizard: 3 successes (2 placed on attack, 1 on explore) and Bright wizard unexhausts her attack. Clanrat suffers 1 damage and dies
Turn 3: Bright Wizard attacks, suffering a damage to target an additional enemy and spending both her success tokens. Defeats facedown Gigantic Spider and Rat Swarm in the shadows with 1 damage of overkill (fantastic roll). Suffers 1 damage from black die.
Turn 4: Waywather Explores: 2 successes. Draws Healing Salve which gives her the gear Pistol. Elects not to exhaust enemy in the shadows.
Enemy Phase: Bright Wizard suffers 4 damage from Unkel and Unkel retreats, Waywatcher suffers 2 damage from Jezzail Team but then Jezzail team defeats itself.
Location Phase: Waywatcher suffers 1 damage for having 2 exhausted actions.
Peril Phase: Unkel is alone facedown in the shadows. Peril marker moves forward 1.

Round 2:
Turn 1: Waywatcher attacks, engaging with Unkel. Rolled 2 successes but dealt no damage. Suffered 1 damage. Actions unexhausted.
Turn 2: Bright Wizard aids Waywatcher: 3 successes (2 on explore, 1 on attack), no actions to unexhaust.
Turn 3: Waywatcher explores, spending 2 success tokens for 4 successes total. Dungeon card heals her 2 health.
Turn 4: Bright Wizard explores, with 1 succcess and 1 wasted shield (location fully explored). Dungeon card exhausts an action for her to become empowered. Suffers 2 damage to put 2 success tokens on her attack. All actions are unexhausted.
Enemy Phase: Waywatcher loses a success token and suffers 2 damage due to Unkel. Unkel retreats.
Location Phase: Traveling to next location (Sleeping Warren). Rolled 1 attack symbol out of 2 due to Sleeping Warren's upon traveling effect, but Waywatcher exhausted explore to reroll. Gutter Runner engaged with Waywatcher, 3 facedown enemies + Unkel in the shadows.
Peril Phase: Unkel flips facedown, Peril marker moves forward 1.

Round 3:
Turn 1: Bright Wizard attacks, attempting (and failing) to engage a facedown Jezzail Team. Spends 2 success tokens, and with empowered defeats facedown Gigantic Spider and Night Goblin Archer. 1 Shield wasted.
Turn 2: Waywatcher attacks. Ugh wish I hadn't lost the last succes token (instead of attacking to engaged Unkel could have spent the success token to engage him with Grappling Hook and taken an aid action instead). 1 success from attack but no ddamage dealt. Suffers 2 damage. All actions unexhausted.
Turn 3: Bright Wizard uses Gem of Asuryan to empower both heroes. Bright Wizard aids, which with empowered adds 2 success tokens to Waywatcher's explore. Bright Wizard loses empowered.
Turn 4: Waywatcher explores, spending 1 success token. With empowered adds 5 progress tokens. Shield blocks attack. Chooses not to perform optional effect on dungeon card. Exhausts Jezzail Team in the shadows.
Enemy Phase: Waywatcher suffers 4 damage from Unkel, and suffers 1 damage and becomes Bleeding from Gutter Runner. Both of these retreat. Jezzail Team unexhausts
Peril Phase: 3 facedown enemy in shadows, Peril marker moves forward 1.

Round 4:
Turn 1: Waywatcher spends a success to unsuccessfully attempt to engage with a facedown Jezzail Team. Waywatcher explores with 3 successes (1 wasted). Chooses not to apply optional effect on dungeon card. Exhausts a facedown card in the shadows. Suffers 1 damage from Bleeding.
Turn 2: Bright Wizard aids with 2 successes that go on Waywatcher's Explore. Waywatcher is no longer Bleeding and unexhausts explore.
Turn 3: Waywatcher spends a success with Grappling Hook to engage with a facedown Unkel (only facedown, unexhausted enemy in the shadows). Rolls 3 successes, a wasted shield, and a nemesis (spent success token on explore). Bright wizard adds a success to explore, 2 success to attack, and unexhausts Aid.
Turn 4: Bright Wizard aids with 2 successes, both added to explore, and unexhausts Aid.
Enemy Phase: Waywatcher suffers 4 damage from unkel and Unkel retreats, Bright Wizard suffers 2 damage from Jezzail Team.
Location Phase: Traveled to Forgotten Armoury, discarding Jezzail Team and facedown enemy in shadows. Elite Goblin Shaman engaged with Waywatcher, 4 facedown enemies + Unkel in shadows.
Peril Phase: marker moves forward one. Unkel facedown in shadows.

Round 5
Turn 1: Bright Wizard attacks. Engages a facedown Giant Bat. Spends 2 success tokens and suffers 1 damage to target additional enemy. Reveals Gutter Runner and defeats Elite Night Goblin Archer.
Turn 2: Waywatcher spends a success token on her Explore to engage a facedown Unkel with Grappling Hook. Waywatcher explores, rolling 1 success 2 shields (blocks 2 of 3 damage from 1 attack). Facedown enemy in shadows exhausted.
Turn 3: Bright Wizard explores, spending 2 success tokens, for a total of 4 successes, and suffers 1 damage. Draws Healing Potion for dungeon card. Unexhausts all actions. Suffers 2 damage for 2 successes on explore. Uses healing potion to heal Waywatcher 4.
Turn 4: Waywatcher attacks Giant Bat, dealing the 1 damage to defeat it. Suffers 3 damage but heals 1 from defeating an enemy. Unexhausts all actions.
Enemy Phase: Waywatcher suffers 2 damage from Unkel, and both Unkel and elite Goblin Shaman retreat. Gutter Runner inflicts 1 to Bright Wizard, makes her sickened, and engages with her.
Location Phase: chose not to apply optional effect.
Peril Phase: marker moved foward 1. 2 enemies + Unkel facedown in shadows.

Round 6
Turn 1: Waywatcher explores, spending 1 success token, adding 3 progress tokens +1 success wasted. Uses dungeon card to exhaust rest to heal 1, claim 1 success on explore. Chooses not to keep drawn gear card.
Turn 2: Bright Wizard rests, removing sickened and exhausting engaged Gutter Runner. Heals for 3 health.
Turn 3: Waywatcher attacks, engaging elite Gutter Runner in the shadows, rolls 2 successes but no damage dealt. All actions unexhausted. Spends 1 success token to engage with last facedown enemy (Unkel). All actions unexhausted
Turn 4: Bright Wizard aids, for 1 success; Waywatcher suffers a damge for an additional success, both on explore.
Enemy Phase: Waywatcher suffers 4 damage from Unkel (who then retreats), and 2 damage from elite Gutter Runner (who also retreats, and makes Waywatcher Bleeding). Gutter Runner engaged with Bright Wizard unexhausts.
Location Phase: Travel to Dark Fissure, discarding elite Gutter Runner and facedown enemy in the shadows. Night Goblin Archer engaged with Waywatcher, 3 enemie added to shadows. Waywatcher exhausts aid for location effect.
Peril Phase: 3 enemies + Unkel facedown in shadows. Peril marker moves forward 1.

Round 7:
Turn 1: Bright Wizard explores, spending 2 success tokens, for 3 success total.Elects not to choose option on dungeon card. Suffers 2 damage for 2 success tokens on explore. Readies all actions.
Turn 2: Waywatcher uses Healing Salve to heal for 2, and Rests, exhausting and forcing Night Goblin Archer to retreat. Rolls 1 sucess, 2 wasted shields. Suffers 1 damage from Bleeding.
Turn 3: Bright Wizard explores, receving 2 successes and shield that blocks a damage. Chooses not to apply effect of dungeon card. All actions unexhaust.
Turn 4: Waywatcher explores, spending a success token for 3 successes total (2 wasted). Chooses not to take option on dungeon card. Exhausts an enemy in the shadows. Suffers 1 damage from bleeding.
Enemy Phase: Bright Wizard suffers 1 damage and becomes Bleeding from Gutter Runner, then suffers 2 damage from Unkel. Unkel moves the Peril marker +1 but which moves it onto the spot of the red peril effect (but it doesn't trigger). waywatcher first suffers 1 damage from Giant Bat, then 3 from Jezzail Team and is defeated.
Location Phase: Location is fully explored and heroes win (Bright Wizard has 7 remaining health).

Number of enemies I needed to engage or flip faceup in the shadows before I found Unkel:
1st out of 4 facedown in shadows
1st out of 1
4th out of 4
3rd out of 3
4th out of 5
3rd out of 3

White dice rolled: 32
Sucesses rolled: 43 (let's say any result after a 4th critical result is useless. In that case expected value is 1.20/die, or 38.37 for the 32 rolls)
Shields rolled: 8 (expected value: 10.67)

Enemy dice rolled: 29
Attack symbols rolled: 20 (expected value: 9.67)
Nemesis symbols rolled: 1 (expected value: 4.83)

Dungeon cards drawn (breakdown of good, situational, and bad somewhat subjective): 11
Good dungeon cards drawn: 3 (expected value: 3.97)
Dungeon cards which give you an option that is situationally good, or can be situationally either good or bad drawn: 8 (expected value: 5.19)
Bad dungeon cards drawn: 0 (expected value: 1.83)

Enemies undrawn in enemy deck: elite Gigantic Spider, elite Giant Bat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.