Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just got this game and had to jump in with this good 'ol full of armor force scenario, but man, that PF chit just clammed up the Sherman, luckily only the Main Gun. How can you advance armor against the PF floating from any force on the map and then later add an ATG? Just asking cause I sent 3 units to their assault death against a forward German Leader (potential PF candidate). Having fun though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that players seem to use infrequently, is suppressive fire. I'm no expert, but it's something I've noticed, players seem to want to go for the instant kill roll (even if that means having to roll a 5 or a 6). So this being said, perhaps using your tanks...to suppress the enemy and then moving in with your assault units could possibly resolve this problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Doyle

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, think about how you use initiative and Supply Phase movement. When your opponent has initiative, use your supply to advance. Then use your initiative turn to take positions.

Also think about cards. What you place in your deck (and getting lucky enough to pull the one you need when you need) can have a huge effect. This of course works both ways. Nothing is more disheartening than pulling the Gebaldeladung card at the right time, only to have it thrown right back at you. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really looking for specific experience strategies for this scenario, haven't seen a lot of posts about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, keep in mind that your tanks can move, fire, then move back out of line of sight to give them a bit more protection. Never advance your tanks without infantry support.

Assaults can be brutal, so calculate them carefully. I agree that using suppressive fire to "soften up" the enemy prior to an assault can be lifesaving. Shoot their assault units and assault units that do not have that ability if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize the moving fire could be in the middle of a move, thought it was at start of movement only. That plus suppression seems to be the ticket (I totally missed that capability on the units by the way). Looks like the Jeep could be fun with this combo when there is a hiding spot!

Thanks for the help I look forward to trying this scenario again, but I just received Pegasus Bridge and the Market Garden gazette at the door today. Decisions, decisions....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... Wow.

I just read the intro of the HoN MG G#5, or is that #4 as written (frankly something is wrong here). I was taken aback at “the gall” of the cover article of the module. It seems the publisher doesn’t respect somme aspects of the British contribution to the end war efforts, after liberating French life in contenants and many of their French colonials in continents. There was some recognizable polish in the publisher’s wording but any underground meaning was highly over lorded by historical facts.

I caen not say that this was the best effort in dealing with translation to a foreign language either. To exemplify the apparent difficulty of translation with other languages, I ”viche” that the article had better respect of truth, but “wat err lou” expect in dealing with urgency of a French confidence in terms of translating to English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much respect for the powers that conceived market garden. The war would have been over tout suit if Patton was in charge of the entire operation. But what do I know. Monty screwed up big time. But Eisenhower was at fault. Why respect a really poor outcome in an ill conceived operation?

The translations are at not the best at times. But I understand what they are trying to communicate. Why quibble about the drivel that surrounds the content that matters: the scenarios and the punch board? I didn't even read the pap until you complained about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I see nothing but insult from the article (really the operation naming?). It's pure after the fact garble.

[edit: PS - in case you're weren't aware, my response was specifically worded. If you were aware, I'm more curious to your response.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, you care that a comic book war game, with tongue in cheek everything, calls one scenario Roast Beef, Polish Sauce blah blah.

This is Mad Magazine makes a war game. How could you have thought otherwise? Sorry, I have complete tolerance to satire no matter how stupid. HoN has never been a serious war game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game. The G#5 diatribe is insulting though. Ref my edit while you responded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the articles are nonsense. I don't even read them, so I understand if you are insulted by the slipshod craftsmanship. I subscribed purely for the scenarios and punch boards and not for literary scholarship.

I think by "Polish sauce" they mean "Polish sausage" so I am definitely insulted by their lack of respect for the tubular meat products that made WWII worth fighting. If my father were still be alive he would agree that he lived to eat pounds and pounds of Polish sausage because he was under the command of Patton.

What is insulting though is the very poor quality of the organization, primarily, and translation, secondarily, of the original rules for the game. That really gets my gall. Hence why the unofficial rewrite is the official rules IMO. Perhaps Dreamshade should transform the Gazettes into something worth reading?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry partner I don't think you get the historical references (I'm old) vs the literal words. I agree with you on the game, I'm enjoying learning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Gaul, Caen, Vichy, Waterloo etc. I saw those. I mistakenly thought you had a serious complaint couched in mockery. Not sure now if you love this stuff or hate it or just having a laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was serious in its lopsided introduction. Just making sure the Brits don't get a one sided slam on their unsuccessful operation attempts after the fact, from those that reaped their major successful contributions without any recognition of it. And the article recognized no praise of gallant efforts that actually came close to overcoming a poor plan, only doomed leadership criticism. I had a few subtle digs more by the way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Those panzerfausts are pretty much are boss in this game with very high bonuses against light and heavy vehicles, in the 'My Heart Goes Boom' they destroyed most of the American vehicles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.