GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Impulse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Command Action to Move Transports Back to Same Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that I've had this right all along, but I haven't played in a while and might be rusty.

The rules for the Command action include the following sentences about movement of Transports: "After the Command action, use the card they ended their movement on ... . You cannot activate the card they started their movement on."

Does the following correctly capture the intent?

"After the Command action, use the card they ended their movement on - unless that card is the one on which they started their movement on."

I want to be sure that the intent is not that you cannot move Transports (in a single Command action) so as to return them to the card on which they started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving them back to where they started and therefore not activating the card is exactly equivalent to not taking the Command action at all. All actions are optional, so that's allowed. It's fairly unlikely to be the best move though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Moving them back to where they started and therefore not activating the card is exactly equivalent to not taking the Command action at all. All actions are optional, so that's allowed. It's fairly unlikely to be the best move though

I see your point. I guess it was late, and I wasn't focusing on the fact that the move, if allowed, was likely pretty pointless.

But the two choices need not be exactly equivalent: unlike doing nothing, moving out and back could allow one to explore an adjacent location.

Given that such a Command action is not exactly equivalent to not taking the action, is it allowed?

With regard to it being a good move, I do accept that the rules ensure that it would likely provide few benefits: (1) one cannot activate a card at that other location because the Transports would end their turn back on the original card; and (2) because "you must declare your entire movement before exploring any cards," one could not make the choice to move back after learning what card was at the adjacent location.

I can think of a couple of reasons that you might choose to make a null move just to explore.

An opponent may have Transports in a position to explore that adjacent card, and you may know (e.g., from cards exposed as bluff reinforcements in a recent battle) that he has in hand some dangerous card (e.g., a Refine card that could win him the game). You could explore that card (and then return to your origin) so as to place instead some benign card.

Alternatively, you may want to get a particular card into your hand and may hope to get it from the unexplored location (replacing it with some undesired card you have in hand). While you cannot know anything about the card in an unexplored location, you may be desperate. (I would agree with you that this is "fairly unlikely to be the best move.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chudyk
msg tools
designer
Yes, you can command a fleet multiple spaces ending back where it started, without activating the card.

This kind of move is more likely in the expansion, if it ever happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cchudyk wrote:
Yes, you can command a fleet multiple spaces ending back where it started, without activating the card.

You got to make it happen, Carl ! The game's too good to not make a try at expanding it (though I can't even imagine what could be added to the game, and how you could add it when the overall interactions of the cards feel so tight).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paptimus wrote:
cchudyk wrote:

You got to make it happen, Carl ! The game's too good to not make a try at expanding it (though I can't even imagine what could be added to the game, and how you could add it when the overall interactions of the cards feel so tight).

This one of those games that seems so perfect that I worry about an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.