Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hari Zafiriadis
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one that get irritated when I hear the buying phase is called an auction?

The sellers set the price for the tiles and when it's your turn to buy you either pay or you don't. Auctions allow the purchaser to bid and the highest bidder wins.

The game itself even says the phases are Set price and Buy a tile. There is no bidding in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
You're right it isn't an auction at all. I suspect most people know this but are using the word 'auction' as that is how it feels to many players. This is because a key skill in auctions is working out the value of an item but then balancing that with deciding what the maximum you are prepared to pay for. This skill is utilised in this game even if it isn't an actual auction. The decision process is a bit more involved than just setting a price because you have to buy it yourself if no one else does.

As a consequence some people who don't like auction games, don't like this mechanic either because of this shared feature. It certainly feels a bit like an auction to me even though I know it isnt one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into a discussion about this topic with a friend. I had called it an "auction style system" when giving them an overview of the game to see if they wanted to play. When we finally played, he made a few jabs at me because it's clearly not an auction.

In my defense, he hasn't played a lot of games, so calling it an auction style game quickly conveys the general idea of the game without getting into an explanation of the price setting mechanic.

When I give an overview of the game and call it a price setting game, that just invokes more questions about what does price setting mean.

But you're definitely correct, this system is not an auction, but sometimes all you're trying to do is convey the feel of a game. So, it usually doesn't irritate me, but I know where you're coming from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly not a traditional auction, but it's arguably a bidding game, and lots of people view those as synonyms. You blind bid to keep your own tiles, and then everyone else gets one chance to out-bid you, but only for one object. As such it uses a lot of the same thought processes as auction games in how much to spend, how much to bid, and determining value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah it’s not really auction, it’s pricing.

What irritates me the most is when I hear (that is, all the time) that IoS is similar to Carcassone. Both games have so little in common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
What irritates me the most is when I hear (that is, all the time) that IoS is similar to Carcassone. Both games have so little in common.

But... they both have square tiles! With roads and landscapes!

I've been describing it as "Alhambra crossed with Mad King Ludwig," which seems to get the point across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are people considering worker placement games to be auctions, since the actions are auctioned off. Those probably see a connection between Isle of Skye and auctions. I think there is no auction in Isle of Skye. You rather create a market and players set market prices,a little similar to container. I like that there is no absolute scale to determine what a tile is worth, but you have to assess that yourself by the overall money in the system and the victory point conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rad_sci_guy wrote:
Am I the only one that get irritated when I hear the buying phase is called an auction?

The sellers set the price for the tiles and when it's your turn to buy you either pay or you don't. Auctions allow the purchaser to bid and the highest bidder wins.

The game itself even says the phases are Set price and Buy a tile. There is no bidding in this game.

I haven't played Isle of Skye, but what you're describing sounds like a Fixed Price Auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Duisburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
It's certainly not a traditional auction, but it's arguably a bidding game, and lots of people view those as synonyms. You blind bid to keep your own tiles, and then everyone else gets one chance to out-bid you, but only for one object. As such it uses a lot of the same thought processes as auction games in how much to spend, how much to bid, and determining value.

this.

it's not simply price setting because you pay the price you set yourself if no one else is willing to match your bid. if described as price setting, I would just expect that the good (ie the tile) is simply not sold, preventing you getting money. obviously, this wouldn't make sense in IoS since not selling would always benefit you (now, it depends on the price you set)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hari Zafiriadis
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
There are people considering worker placement games to be auctions, since the actions are auctioned off. Those probably see a connection between Isle of Skye and auctions. I think there is no auction in Isle of Skye. You rather create a market and players set market prices,a little similar to container. I like that there is no absolute scale to determine what a tile is worth, but you have to assess that yourself by the overall money in the system and the victory point conditions.

This is what I love about the game too. I like that the tile can be any price you want. You can force people to leave your tiles alone or try and squeeze out some extra money for something you don't even want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Barrios
msg tools
mbmbmb
I hate auction in games, and when I first read about this game, the user used the word "auction" and it was a deal breaker for me.

Then I watched a gameplay and realized this isn't auction, is buying and protecting your tiles against buying. THIS IS IT. I protect my tiles with money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.