Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Near the end of day 1 there were only 2 scene cards left. All the starring roles and extras on the last 2 scenes required actors higher than rank 1, so we couldn't take any of them, but neither of us wanted to upgrade yet.

So does the day continue forever... 2 people just moving back and forth saying "no, you go upgrade", until 1 of them just breaks down and says "whatever, fine... I'll upgrade"?

It's a shame that they didn't just put 1 (and only 1) set of extras printed on the board that required rank 2+, which would keep this from ever happening. I assume there is no rule for this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ernest
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Mark:

I'm surprised that neither player wanted to upgrade. Finishing the scene at the Jail or the Bank would have probably earned you back your $4 upgrade cost and given you an edge on the following day.

However, you're right that the rules don't provide a solution to what happens if no player wants to upgrade. We used to have a rule that allowed players to drop back to the Trailers if they were done for the day, but I don't see that in the current rules sheet.

I might have left it out assuming that the situation is rare enough that it didn't need to be covered, or perhaps that players might find a way out of the situation on their own, for example by agreeing to end the day with two scenes left unfinished.

I'm afraid that officially your game is stuck on Day 1, which is a shame because if you enjoyed Day 1 and you'd like to play Deadwood again, you will have to buy another copy.

Better luck next time,

James Ernest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, James.

I think we were just both focused on getting to level 3 or 4 first, and didn't want to be the one to have 3 less bucks (at worst... you'd actually be rooting to fail a couple acting rolls on that last scene), as well as loss of initiative/first move on the next day. But you are right... the advantage of being level 2 while racing for the next upgrade probably makes up for those disadvantages.

That being said, for future games I will say that the day can also end if everyone goes back to their trailer. Like you said, I already need another copy now... don't want to have to buy a third.

Love the game... a real hidden gem. It really love how it combines a push-your-luck filler with a thematic party/acting game. With the right group (and beverages), this game is a blast... or at least it is when 2 people aren't trying to math out a small early-game advantage. whistle

I really hope to get my hands on some expansions some day... even if only print-n-play. Great game... thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ernest
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Mark:

That is awesome to hear. Thanks for the kind words.

It's always hard to tell when answering a naked rules question whether the players liked the game or didn't....

As to the solution, I think my play group assumed that retiring was never the right choice, which is why I dropped the rule. But it's probably a perfectly legitimate option, and I'll put it back in if I get a chance.

Thanks!

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.