Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would absolutely LOVE to see, just for fun, a beautifully illustrated timeline of when and where each game in Ryan's universe lay according to each other.

Perhaps they don't all take place in the same universe, but with all of the same style art, similar races of characters and both themes of ancient and space faring, it would be so cool to see. Sure, some games wouldn't fit, like 8 minute empire (but legends could!)

Perhaps a Kickstarter stretch goal to get Ryan to draw it up?

I guess it would go something like this:

Ancient World --> 8-Min Empire Legends/Lost Lands ---> Near and Far/Above and Below/Islebound (I assume these take place in the same era)---> City of Iron ---> Artifacts, Inc (I know this is less "fantasy" and more pulp, but I like to think its the same world and they're digging up relics from Ancient World, etc)---->Empire of the Void (skipping way into the future!)

I would love to see an illustrated poster/timeline..I'd buy it for sure! His world is so rich and getting deeper by the game, I'd totally buy a poster/map and epic graphic novel series just to have the art.

Anyway, just thinking out loud for fun. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be very cool, but only Above and Below, City of Iron, Islebound and Near and Far share the same world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ from Board Game Gumbo

Lafayette
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
www.boardgamegumbo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how to spell it, but Ryan said the world is called "Arzium." Check out episode 10 of the Red Raven Podcast for more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kacz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
That would be very cool, but only Above and Below, City of Iron, Islebound and Near and Far share the same world.

Ancient World isn't? Also I don't care if it's never official but Empires of the Void could easily be from "long long ago in a galaxy far far away"... so not the same world but easily same universe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKacz wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Ancient World isn't? Also I don't care if it's never official but Empires of the Void could easily be from "long long ago in a galaxy far far away"... so not the same world but easily same universe

I agree. The art, character design and overall feel is quite the same. Even if its not official, I'd still love to it!

The Ancient World is like the time that history has almost forgotten, just little fragments of the past now to let us know there were once Titans that roamed the world, nomadic tribes, maybe one major civ ruled the known world, perhaps not unlike the world of Conan or the Ancient Egyptians...then Eight-Minute Empire: Legends hits...it is maybe 100-150 years later, when its more about the people of the land, more civs fighting for control, fractured territories, struggling for control (think game of thrones/Dark Ages/LotR) a rare dragon or monster sometimes emerges but less so than back when the Ancient World was all they knew

Fast forward another 100-200 or so years... we hit the time of Near and Far, Islebound and Above and Below where the people of the world are traveling, trading, learning about other races and cultures..sea travel and exploration is at an all-time high. Towns and cities are getting bigger. Politics are more prevalent and there is a bit more order to the world, but still plenty of chaos in the outer regions. But we are emerging from darker times, into more civilized ones. A renaissance is on the horizon.

A Couple hundred years later and we're now in an industrial revolution of sorts, with large cities, metal and tech and steam power in massive cities like the City of Iron: Second Edition. I imagine that world just continues to evolve and grow, like ours, until they become space-faring, and waaaay in the future, another 100-200 years they've taken to the stars in Empires of the Void.

I'd even say we throw in Artifacts, Inc., after the credits roll that places us here in our world, in the 1930s, and OMG we uncover some crazy ruin or artifact from a world/civilization that we have no idea about...eerily connecting the all-human universe to another...ooooooh ;-) Just gotta keep that Titan skeleton and re-animation gem out of the hands of those good-fer-nuthin' Nazis! (ok, maybe this game is in a different universe... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thinking about this...I would love to see Ryan design an epic true 4x game in his world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious if the traveling to "here" written about in A&B is what's portrayed in N&F...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
th3tick wrote:
I was curious if the traveling to "here" written about in A&B is what's portrayed in N&F...

I'm not sure...I don't think so. In A&B, they travel to there because their village was destroyed by Barbarians.

In N&F, they seem to be traveling to find powerful, lost artifacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenna Asplund
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Near and Far actually starts out in the same location as Above and Below. The first map is Above and Below themed and you can visit both the village of Above and the caves Below.

Then you travel further and further east through the next 10 maps until you finally arrive at The Last Ruin.

(I'm not sure what Ryan's opinion on the timeline would be. Maybe that's something we can discuss on the next episode of the podcast.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! thx Brenna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.