Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Like some of you I managed to miss the KS campaign for Above & Below and was excited when I stumbled upon the Near and Far KS. I am in!

I am still trying to work out which level to go for. Not owning A&B it seems to make little sense to go for the $70 level, but i do know myself and should N&F be anywhere near as good as I hope it will be, I might pick-up A&B as well.

This then brings me to the question I have for you guys: what do the two A&B add-ons add to the game of A&B? Will they make it more replayable or add more of the same? Similarly, I am trying to work out whether N&F's being a sequal to A&B means that they will play in pretty much the same way, or that they are very distinct games.

Thanks very much for all your help. Sorry in advance if any of these questions are silly.

Aernout
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only had a quick look at the rules so far myself, but they look to play fairly differently at a first glance, whilst sharing the core concept of story telling.

As for the add-ons, there's really only one - if you get the extra stories book, you need the tokens to make it work. I'd imagine you could get just the tokens and the book would probably be made available to you as a PDF, which is how it worked for the A&B Kickstarter.

And yes, I'd say it makes the game (even) more replayable, since there are more stories in different locations, hence more variety. Although I will also admit we haven't played with the alternative story book as yet - mostly because I hadn't gotten around to printing it and I didn't want to try playing direct from the iPad.

Edit: some of the tokens work independently of the second book, IIRC, so there may be limited value to getting that and not the book. But really, you want the extra book, don't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion stuff is great.

The stories add a lot to the replayability, but the tools actually alter how you play, as the first person to successfully explore every round gets the tool, leading to people really having to weigh up whether they'd rather build that building, grab that villager or explore first for the tool.

There are 3 types of tools you might get. My favourite is the basket which allows a villager (once per round) to gather 2 things when they take the harvest action rather than just one (and they can even be two different things). This really helps to fill out the goods track.

My second favourite is the walking stick which allows you to add 1 to a die roll once per round - often more helpful than a reroll.

The last tool allows any villager to be able to recruit at 1 cheaper price (even if that villager doesn't have the feather symbol you normally need for recruiting). I've got less use out of this tool, but still helpful.

The expansion also adds in bonus points cards for the first person to gather certain resources (like a fish and an ore). This does sometimes lead to deliberate strategy changes (building certain buildings to give you access to the right goods) but also is just a nice extra bonus to mix things up a bit.

Personally I think of them as fairly essential parts of playing Above and Below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
The expansion stuff is great.

The stories add a lot to the replayability, but the tools actually alter how you play, as the first person to successfully explore every round gets the tool, leading to people really having to weigh up whether they'd rather build that building, grab that villager or explore first for the tool.

There are 3 types of tools you might get. My favourite is the basket which allows a villager (once per round) to gather 2 things when they take the harvest action rather than just one (and they can even be two different things). This really helps to fill out the goods track.

My second favourite is the walking stick which allows you to add 1 to a die roll once per round - often more helpful than a reroll.

The last tool allows any villager to be able to recruit at 1 cheaper price (even if that villager doesn't have the feather symbol you normally need for recruiting). I've got less use out of this tool, but still helpful.

The expansion also adds in bonus points cards for the first person to gather certain resources (like a fish and an ore). This does sometimes lead to deliberate strategy changes (building certain buildings to give you access to the right goods) but also is just a nice extra bonus to mix things up a bit.

Personally I think of them as fairly essential parts of playing Above and Below.

Thanks!! (A bit like the promo characters in Voyages of Marco Polo, then?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:

Sorry, I can't compare as I haven't played Voyages of Marco Polo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:

The promo characters in VoMP are nowhere near essential. The add-ons for A&B change the game a lot more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MetalPirate wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:

The promo characters in VoMP are nowhere near essential. The add-ons for A&B change the game a lot more.

I recommend everyone who owns VoMP to get the promo. In my view it makes the game a lot more interesting. But ok, you guys sold me on the idea. Now to bite the bullet and order promos for a game I don't even own... That would be a first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Schneider
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I am in the same boat. Discovered Near and Far on KS and then have been researching Above and Below and am now planning to buy a copy in the next month or so. Hopefully I'll get a good amount of plays in before May 2017 so the expanded edition components will be just as exciting to receive as Near and Far itself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romy Cat
msg tools
Vistatownsend.net
badge
Vistatownsend.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Same story for me. I found myself supporting Near and Far without having ever played Above and Below. And I played the extra money to get the bonus components for Above and Below despite not owning that game.

A few weeks later I did buy Above and Below and my family loved it. We have played it quite a few times now and I even got the promo Grooves for it.

Still, I eagerly wait for the Desert Labyrinth and Underforest Encounter books I ordered on Kickstarter for Above and Below. Should add even more fun to an already great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.