Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin F
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have multiple attackers in different adjacent hexes attacking a defending hex and the attacker gets an option result they choose to take as a retreat, does that option apply to all attacking units or just the stack with the lead action rating unit? Cannot find this answer anywhere as the system rules only provide examples that imply a single attacking hex...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lott
United States
FPO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin,

If I'm interpreting the v4.2 rules correctly (9.12 Retreats and Advances) "All units involved in a combat must retreat a number of hexes equal to the option result and no further". It doesn't specifically say multiple units attacking from different hexes into a single hex have to retreat the specified number hexes but I'm taking the word "all" literally, which would mean every unit/stack involved in the attack have to retreat. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Justin,

I cannot find a direct quote one way or another but my take is that if you take the option as a retreat all the attacking units should retreat. I think that the other interpretation (that part of the attack could avoid retreating) should have been directly allowed by a rule. But surely someone will come up with a better answer soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin F
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That's how I've been playing, but had a fairly complex combat situation with significant repercussions and wanted to be sure.

(Also, fwiw, had 13:1 odds in the open and rolled snake eyes. Commonwealth might as well have thrown down their hats and gone home).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All involved units retreat on an option which is not met by step losses.

An "o1" result means either one step loss or all involved units retreat one hex.

"o2" means either:

- two step losses; or

- one step loss and all involved units retreat one hex; or

- no step losses and all involved units retreat two hexes.

And so on for higher option results.

As an earlier poster pointed out, that result flows from the "all involved units" language in 9.10 and 9.12.

This comes up quite often.

I think it is because in a lot of games, the combat result in expressed in hits to be taken. Hits can be absorbed in those kinds of games by retreats, or flipping units to spent, or step losses (area-impulse games come to mind).

But OCS is different.

I think of the option decision as reflecting whether or not the attack or defence is pressed vigorously - trading additional casualties for the ground being fought over, or less vigorously - falling back rather than risking more losses.

If you want the territory, you have to take the losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin F
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malcolm C wrote:
As an earlier poster pointed out, that result flows from the "all involved units" language in 9.10 and 9.12.

This comes up quite often.

I think it is because in a lot of games, the combat result in expressed in hits to be taken. Hits can be absorbed in those kinds of games by retreats, or flipping units to spent, or step losses (area-impulse games come to mind).

While I understand it can be gleaned from these small sections, literally all it would take in the system rules is an additional example case that specifies an attack coming from multiple hexes and it would be crystal clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lott
United States
FPO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin,

I think your absolutely correct. Just a little line in the rules body or in an example of play would go along way. As someone who's relatively new to the system I feel the more examples of proper play really help. With that said I do feel part of the appeal of the OCS system is slowly putting all the pieces together until it all clicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.