Popular Tags: [View All]
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The winners of this year's CrossFit Games (starting today) will each receive a Glock handgun as a prize.
BBC article

The decision has prompted plenty of backlash, particularly from non-US CrossFitters, including hopes that the winners will throw the guns away.

"CF Gota says obviously no to weapons in all its forms and find it tasteless to CF games have chosen Glock as one of its sponsors!"
https://www.instagram.com/p/BH1TO5VDZ5_/

A petition to cancel the prize has so far reached 21,000 signatures.
Quote:
CrossFit Inc would not form partnerships with fast food restaurants, alcohol companies, cigarette or pharmaceutical companies on the same basis. But a gun manufacturer is deemed as a good partner... this is not us. CrossFit is for health, fitness and the well being of the all people in all communities. This is not CrossFit. This should never be CrossFit.

https://www.change.org/p/crossfit-inc-please-cancel-the-part...

The director of CrossFit, Dave Castro, responded to the controversy:
http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/07/16/director-of-c...
Quote:
“There has also been tremendous support. If I were to make all of my decisions based off of backlash, everything I have done around the CrossFit Games would have been butchered, altered and changed multiple times over. As long as guns are legal in the U.S. based off of our constitutional right, nothing is changing.”

Poll
Is a Glock handgun a suitable prize for the CrossFit games?
Yes
No
      83 answers
Poll created by col_w

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
The winners of this year's CrossFit Games (starting today) will each receive a Glock handgun as a prize.
BBC article

The decision has prompted plenty of backlash, particularly from non-US CrossFitters, including hopes that the winners will throw the guns away.

Wouldn't this also be a problem if an ex-felon participated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not omg controversy so much as just kind of dumb. Hopefully you csn just get a cash equivilent. I have a revolver, I don't have use for a glock. (Not that I,am winning crossfit, but it's easy to see where it might matter) also giving participants a potentialy illegal prize in many parts of the world seems silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
also giving participants a potentialy illegal prize in many parts of the world seems silly.

If you live in a shit hole that bans firearms then crossfit may not be very high on the list of priorities to get upset about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
also giving participants a potentialy illegal prize in many parts of the world seems silly.

If you live in a shit hole that bans firearms then crossfit may not be very high on the list of priorities to get upset about.

You are talking a significant percentage of the civilized world. Ban and illegal were too strong a words. 'Require lots of paperwork and headache for the proper permits and so be a poor prize.' Would be better. I just woke up.

To lut it in context: I would consider gifting someone a Fennec, lynx, or dingo as a crossfit trophy to beon par.(all animals some people keep as pets, but that normally require piles of paperwork)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I suppose if they want to appeal to gun bunnies great idea.

But why would anyone who cannot win this prize even take a second look at their competition?

As a promotion it is far too targeted, as a publicity stunt it has worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Oliver is a real sweet pup and up for adoption.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Apparently, it worked. Until today I didn't know CrossFit was a specific thing. I thought it was two words in lower case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Quote:

Apparently, it worked. Until today I didn't know CrossFit was a specific thing. I thought it was two words in lower case.

Yes I said it had worked to raise the profile of something that seems all a bit faddish.

But I am not sure in this case all publicity is good publicity. After all it is a gun free "sport" (well it's cultists call it a sport) that seems to think guns are a reward for not shooting anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
You are talking a significant percentage of the civilized world.

Yeah, was I not clear when I said shit hole ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
You are talking a significant percentage of the civilized world.

Yeah, was I not clear when I said shit hole ?
But you were being clear when you said they had banned guns, rather then just restricting them.

About as accurate as calling all of the western world a shit hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
It's not omg controversy so much as just kind of dumb. Hopefully you csn just get a cash equivilent. I have a revolver, I don't have use for a glock. (Not that I,am winning crossfit, but it's easy to see where it might matter) also giving participants a potentialy illegal prize in many parts of the world seems silly.

Runner-ups get a bible and American flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
I would say that giving out guns as prizes is the douchiest thing ever, but then again, it is Crossfit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
If Glock is donating the gun, I'm good with it. Whenever you seek corporate sponsorship, you risk getting strange in-kind donations, so prizes are often sort of poorly suited to a general audience. Once you accept that, it seems pretty reasonable to solicit donations from specialty retailers. I similarly wouldn't have a problem if they solicited donations from a company which focuses on producing quality human restraint systems for sexual use, or a knitting needle company.

I do hope they are storing the pistol responsibly in the interim, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
If Glock is donating the gun, I'm good with it. Whenever you seek corporate sponsorship, you risk getting strange in-kind donations, so prizes are often sort of poorly suited to a general audience. Once you accept that, it seems pretty reasonable to solicit donations from specialty retailers. I similarly wouldn't have a problem if they solicited donations from a company which focuses on producing quality human restraint systems for sexual use, or a knitting needle company.

For the most part I agree, but certain items are so heavily restricted and regulated that just awarding the prize can have logistics challenges that aren't worth it I would think. Because of that and the virtue signaling the guy did when he dropped the Constitution as part of his justification makes me think there is more to it that a simple sponsor donated prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
In the US, people who win prizes such as this -- a gun, a car, a two-week vacation to lovely downtown Detroit -- are allowed to take the cash equivalent if they so choose (many do that to avoid paying taxes on the gun, car, etc.). Is that allowed in the UK? If so, it would give winners who object to firearms to accept cash instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
rinelk wrote:
...a company which focuses on producing quality human restraint systems for sexual use, or a knitting needle company.

Restraints AND knitting needles? Strangest kink ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
mbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Because of that and the virtue signaling the guy did when he dropped the Constitution as part of his justification makes me think there is more to it that a simple sponsor donated prize.

Yeah, I would probably have more of a problem with the advertising around it than the prize itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
rinelk wrote:

For the most part I agree, but certain items are so heavily restricted and regulated that just awarding the prize can have logistics challenges that aren't worth it I would think. Because of that and the virtue signaling the guy did when he dropped the Constitution as part of his justification makes me think there is more to it that a simple sponsor donated prize.
That is my "issue" with this, if they want to give way guns fine, but they are going to restrict who can enter by dint of people not wanting to pay to enter a competition they can't get a prize for winning.

I also find the constitution thing odd, it is the right to bear arms, not give them away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem with guns. I am a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment. But this is just silly. Guns are not toys. Guns are not suitable for all people. People should acquire their own guns if they want them.

Edit: I think there are cases where it would be appropriate, such as the prize for a sharpshooting competition. Or some sort of para-military thing. But guns have nothing to do with working out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I would say that giving out guns as prizes is the douchiest things ever, but then again, it's Crossfit.

the first rule of Crossfit Club is you must talk about Crossfit Club

the second rule of Crossfit Club is YOU MUST TALK ABOUT CROSSFIT CLUB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
Runner-ups get a bible and American flag.

Is it wrong that the snarks which immediately popped into my head are "Do those come in toilet paper editions?" and "For your burning pleasure!" but I wouldn't mean either and am too lazy to deal with the backlash that would ensue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
I don't have a problem with guns. I am a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment. But this is just silly. Guns are not toys. Guns are not suitable for all people. People should acquire their own guns if they want them.

Edit: I think there are cases where it would be appropriate, such as the prize for a sharpshooting competition. Or some sort of para-military thing. But guns have nothing to do with working out.
Lets get a bit snide here.

Maybe guns have nothing to do with working out, maybe they have everything to do with the kind of minds that work out in this cultish way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Am I the only person who knows a crossfitter he's happy has crossfit? Seems to provide someone I know who has a tendency toward depression an outlet which improves her mood and offers her camaraderie wherever she goes (and she's had to move often for work).

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people might find it annoying, and don't blame people for throwing a bit of snark at it. I just would have expected a more positive post from someone else before now. We have a lot of folks who seem to think they're broad-minded live-and-let-live types, while I'm a rather partisan leftist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Am I the only person who knows a crossfitter he's happy has crossfit? Seems to provide someone I know who has a tendency toward depression an outlet which improves her mood and offers her camaraderie wherever she goes (and she's had to move often for work).

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people might find it annoying, and don't blame people for throwing a bit of snark at it. I just would have expected a more positive post from someone else before now. We have a lot of folks who seem to think they're broad-minded live-and-let-live types, while I'm a rather partisan leftist.

Prone to depression? Here, take this gun as your prize!

See what I mean? Terrible idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.