Hide
21 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Time Periods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I was struggling whether I should open a topic for this issue, as it has been discussed in various places already, but maybe there can be an adult discussion about it.

So, long story short, I am one of those few who are bothered by having no time periods on certain characters. It may be hard to grasp for most of you "normal" people how such a seemingly meaningless change can upset me; so, I try to explain:

I know the stories that take place in Imperial Assault are not canon, but the world in which those stories take place is, and it added something cool to IA (at least in our game group). With this latest change, however, this no longer seems to be the case. IA now takes place in an alternate timeline where basically anything can happen. Greedo lived; so did Obi-wan. Who knows, maybe the Rebels didn't even blow up the Death Star...?!

Now, most of you probably think this is a better way to tell Star Wars stories, less restricting. But, to me, it kind of killed that essential Star Wars atmosphere of IA. I know it seems stupid for such a small change to trigger such a strong response, but I cannot help it. I am not claiming it is logical, I am just saying that this is what it did to me.

Still! I would not feel so strongly about it, if I didn't think it could have been handled a lot better. If it was me, I would have just errata'd the rule book and said that time periods are now optional. They could still appear on the cards but you didn't have to use them if you didn't want to. This way, everyone would have been happy; have your cake and eating it too! Sadly, FFG chose to take a much more radical route that kind of messed up what we already had.

Very unfortunate in my opinion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I understand your feelings on this, it DOES solve a problem that other mini games based on licensed figures have:

"collectable" duplicates.

What I am talking about is having MANY figures representing a person from MANY time periods - Heroclicks is my best example. How many spiderman mini's with different combinations of powers does a game need? Or Superman, or ... well my point is made.

If IA has a version of each hero in each time period, the game becomes about spending money for the "complete collection" instead of owning figures you want to use. While it DOES water down the growth of a storyline, the personalities in question are BASICALLY the same throughout the series of movies.

IA is expensive enough without having to have each time period version of Chewbacca and Han Solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, but I have no problem with the different versions of the same character. I mean Luke in the New Hope, for instance, is very different from himself in Return of the Jedi, and it would be nice to see that change translated into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the decision hurt the immersion for me. I really liked that they were being careful to avoid contradicting canon. Personally, I intend not to use these figures unless we get a campaign in an earlier time period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind with Greedo as he could be just his Twin. He never did anything, but Obi and the Inquisitor should be kept out of normal campaigns if you don't paint them a transparent blue and deny them physical influence on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who knows enough about Star Wars to be bothered about time-period mixing can just create their own house rules to cope with it. Which is just the opposite version of you suggesting that they include the system but people can ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholm wrote:
"collectable" duplicates.

You are certainly correct in your post. So far we haven't had any of these, but they left themselves the option. Each unique figure has a subtitle: Han Solo (Scoundrel), Luke Skywalker (Hero of the Rebellion), etc. What's to stop them from adding Han Solo (General) and Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)?

Time periods don't bother me canon-wise as much. What bugs me is that so far we've had very few missions who are affected (only those featuring Luke or Han). So they could've just not bothered.

Let's see what the next big expansion brings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fitz
msg tools
I totally understand your frustration with this. When I noticed that all 3 new ally/villains were dead by the end of Episode IV, I figured that maybe their aquisition missions would explain their appearances. After all, each of these heroes needs a mission to join the campaign, so why not do some retroactive explaining on how they can appear in this otherwise almost canon universe?

For example, the Inquisitor's mission could take place on Dathomir and be some dark Zabrak ritual or something, ending in the Inquisitor being resurrected. Greedo's could feature Han on the Rebel's side, and feature some short throwaway line between them about "finishing the job".

Obi Wan would have been a little tougher. I think the best thing they could do is very much acknowledge his reappearance but still keep the reason shrouded in mystery. But no, instead we got a mission that seems like it actually took place while Obi Wan was still in hiding on Tattooine, before revealing his identity to Luke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely Time Periods are gone for good, which is unfortunate. The answer? We fans should just create a time period chart for all components that don't have them. Shouldn't be too hard, really. For example, this enw wave with Obi-wan, Greedo, Inquisitor would be Time Period 1-3.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just can't get tied up about it. I play X-Wing all the time, where I can have Poe and Biggs fight Darth Vader and win. I like Rebellion, where in my first game Kenobi never died and Luke never entered the conflict. "What if" scenarios are fun, and if you don't like including dead characters in a campaign, you can just leave them out.

I kinda liked the time period thing they were doing in the base game and expansions (does Bespin Gambit have it as well?). But I'm also fine with having it loosened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Most likely Time Periods are gone for good, which is unfortunate. The answer? We fans should just create a time period chart for all components that don't have them. Shouldn't be too hard, really. For example, this enw wave with Obi-wan, Greedo, Inquisitor would be Time Period 1-3.

-shnar

Yeah..., I was never a big fan of house rules. If it indeed becomes the case, and time periods become existinct, I just stop playing IA. I was kind of looking for a reason to quit for a while now, and this could be it. There are so many great games out there; maybe it is time to move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting aside the question of whether they should include these characters, how would FFG include them within the current time period set, which starts after Yavin? The only way to incorporate them into the campaign setting at all would be to ignore the time periods for these particular figures, or to create a Time Period 0 campaign where they could go. Bit much for single-figure expansions.

But every non-figure expansion has had a time period, right? So they're still in effect otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the time after Yavin is period 3. Period 2 would be around New Hope, and period 1 is when SW Rebels takes place. So all characters can fit in this timeline somewhere. Greedo would be 1-2, so as Obi-wan, and the Inquisitor 1. It is a very elegant system, they just didn't stick to it.

By the way, this latest wave is not the first to break the rules. Leia, for instance, does not have a time period either, although her character is clearly from around Empire Strikes Back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fitz
msg tools
Rinceart wrote:

By the way, this latest wave is not the first to break the rules. Leia, for instance, does not have a time period either, although her character is clearly from around Empire Strikes Back.

Well, I mean, her character art is. I think that's what Beholm was talking about in his post, though, that it's good that we don't have to pay for "Diplomat Leia", "Prisoner Leia", "Echo Base Leia", etc. So far at least, we just have one of each character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph West
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cawatrooper wrote:
I totally understand your frustration with this. When I noticed that all 3 new ally/villains were dead by the end of Episode IV, I figured that maybe their aquisition missions would explain their appearances.

Hey, hey, hey....how about some spoiler tags. Some of us haven't gotten around to watching the movies yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I understand the annoyance, but I can manage to look past it. It does niggle at me too.
Also, I think FF had thought about this which is why they made Greedo, Obi Wan, and the Inquisitor, as a "box-free" expansion. They're not releasing mainstream campaign material with those characters.
I got the impression these "box-free" expansions are primarily aimed at skirmish play, which is more along the idea of X-Wing miniatures, you don't have to think about back story, it's just fun to see your favourite characters tearing it up together.
But they make sure to put campaign material in the expansion too so you get your money's worth. I think if they stuck Obi Wan in the Return to Hoth box then it would upset things more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fitz
msg tools
Batesmates wrote:

I understand the annoyance, but I can manage to look past it. It does niggle at me too.
Also, I think FF had thought about this which is why they made Greedo, Obi Wan, and the Inquisitor, as a "box-free" expansion. They're not releasing mainstream campaign material with those characters.
I got the impression these "box-free" expansions are primarily aimed at skirmish play, which is more along the idea of X-Wing miniatures, you don't have to think about back story, it's just fun to see your favourite characters tearing it up together.
But they make sure to put campaign material in the expansion too so you get your money's worth. I think if they stuck Obi Wan in the Return to Hoth box then it would upset things more.

That's a pretty good point about Skirmish mode.

I guess it still just bugs me a little at how easy it would have been to have the missions actually seem like the acquisition projects that they are, but I guess that's even the case with previous heroes and such as well.

For example, consider the mission Fly Solo (slight spoilers):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It is basically a rescue mission for Han Solo. It does a far better job as an ally acquisition mission than almost any other actual acquisition mission in the game, most of which simply consist of simply playing a rather random seeming mission with the hero that you're looking to obtain. The funny thing is, though, that Fly Solo isn't actually even Han's acquisition mission!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rinceart wrote:
Actually, the time after Yavin is period 3. Period 2 would be around New Hope, and period 1 is when SW Rebels takes place. So all characters can fit in this timeline somewhere. Greedo would be 1-2, so as Obi-wan, and the Inquisitor 1. It is a very elegant system, they just didn't stick to it.

That'll teach me to speak up without checking first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they had just based the periods around the episode numbers it would have been much easier to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why can't the players that care about time periods (myself included) just accept that these figure packs WEREN'T DESIGNED FOR US? Time Periods are not being dropped from the game, they just had to be suspended for this release so that players wouldn't have to wait 2 years for these beloved characters to appear in their skirmish games.

Just wait until the Rebels Era expansion comes put and let the skirmish players enjoy these figure packs until then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I think we can safely conclude that time periods are officially out of the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.