Popular Tags: [View All]
Mad Igor
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
"Он был в Смоленске щит, в Париже меч России"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I own only spanish version of the game, but anyway...
Do you guys sleeve unit cards or not?
If yes which sleeves do you use?

I tried once with FFG sleeves, but it was not really satisfying... it was diffcult to lay cards close to each other as the sleeve was slightly larger as the card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I REALLY want to sleeve these, but there are simply no sleeves sized for the cards unfortunately.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Igor wrote:
Hi,
I own only spanish version of the game, but anyway...
Do you guys sleeve unit cards or not?
If yes which sleeves do you use?

I tried once with FFG sleeves, but it was not really satisfying... it was diffcult to lay cards close to each other as the sleeve was slightly larger as the card...

For pictures of the sleeves i'm using, see:

https://goo.gl/photos/vfSuqvhuAQ7mFCRJ9

(TL;DR: Swan Panasia 56x87mm and Mayday 45x68mm Premium)

They aren't perfect fits, but they're close. You can order them in Europe from smiling-monster.com once they come back from summer holidays (August 7th, 2016).

(i tried to look for better-fitting sleeves after my set arrived, only to discover that smiling-monster actually goes offline during their vacation. Weird.)

i'm a habitual sleever. i can't not sleeve. However, i'm torn a bit when it comes to sleeving Onus...

The Onus rulebook recommends against sleeving, and i believe it's for the following reasons (speculation on my part):

1) because the cards represent units, and placement/alignment is important (including the addition of "extension" markers), the gaps provided by sleeves can interfere with that.

2) the corners of sleeves can snag on the playmats. (i have a transparent tablecloth over my playmat, so that won't be a problem for me . )

3) the tuck boxes available via the Kickstarter project are too small to hold sleeved cards.

Additionally, the Order/Event cards are "dual-headed", i.e. they are Orders when turned one way and Events when turned this other. This requires that the player choose whether he's going to sleeve such that Events or Orders are at the top (opening) of the sleeve. It's like the "big-endian" vs "little-endian" debate - there is no right answer to it.

The paper on which the cards are printed is of average quality, and not as durable as, say, a Talisman card. Because of that, i feel especially compelled to sleeve Onus cards to extend their lifetime (essentially indefinitely).

Just my 0.02 Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to try to get bang card sleeves then.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to try to get bang card sleeves then.

If you happen to find some 2mm narrower and 1mm shorter, please let us know - that would be a better fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Teamski wrote:

If you happen to find some 2mm narrower and 1mm shorter, please let us know - that would be a better fit.

Yeah right! How many of each card are there altogether with the KS exclusives?

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Teamski wrote:

Yeah right! How many of each card are there altogether with the KS exclusives?

i haven't counted :/. i only sleeved my base set so far, in the hopes of finding tighter-fitting sleeves before i learn the game well enough to use the other parts. The current sleeves work, but i'd prefer a slightly tighter fit for the unit cards to avoid (as yet hypothetical) alignment-related problems on the table (the Mayday sleeves are fine, IMO, for the order/event cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I was disappointed to find out sleeving was so hard.

Note that using green FFG sleeves makes them too wide to fit the tuckboxes. Several would be too many to fit in a tuckbox as well. I would have gotten duplicate tuckboxes if I had known that, but they still wouldn't fit the sleeves I have plenty of, so that wouldn't have helped enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:

Note that using green FFG sleeves makes them too wide to fit the tuckboxes. Several would be too many to fit in a tuckbox as well. I would have gotten duplicate tuckboxes if I had known that, but they still wouldn't fit the sleeves I have plenty of, so that wouldn't have helped enough.

i'm using Swan Panasia 56x87mm, which are a bit smaller than FFG green, and they also do not fit the tuck boxes (too wide). i'd like to find some sleeves 2mm narrower and 1mm shorter, but (A) i don't know if there are any and (B) i'm still not sure they'd fit the tuck boxes. i'm a bit bummed about that, but the Onus rulebook explicitly recommends against sleeving, so i don't consider this to be a failure on their part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
andrews777 wrote:

i'm using Swan Panasia 56x87mm, which are a bit smaller than FFG green, and they also do not fit the tuck boxes (too wide). i'd like to find some sleeves 2mm narrower and 1mm shorter, but (A) i don't know if there are any and (B) i'm still not sure they'd fit the tuck boxes. i'm a bit bummed about that, but the Onus rulebook explicitly recommends against sleeving, so i don't consider this to be a failure on their part.

I do because I like to protect my games. A sleeve does that.

They may recommend against it, but they will have no way to replace the card if it is damaged several years from now, for example. Using the edges of the sleeve for the things noted would not seriously impact the game and would allow the cards to be protected for those who wish to do so.

A few mm wider boxes would have allowed this too, if they figured the number needed before hand. The latter was laziness on their part. I still backed it, but it is disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grretings,

Game designer doesn't recommend use of sleeves. Units are not shuffle ar keep in the hands. They shall be used only on the table, so cards don't need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jmkinki wrote:
Grretings,

Game designer doesn't recommend use of sleeves. Units are not shuffle ar keep in the hands. They shall be used only on the table, so cards don't need it.

Sorry, but for us sleevers, there is no explanation that would stop us from sleeving our cards.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Jigsaw Man
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmkinki wrote:
Grretings,

An explanation which makes no sense. People don't sleeve cards because they hate the feel of cardboard, but because sleeves prevent damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
JgzMan wrote:
jmkinki wrote:
Grretings,

An explanation which makes no sense. People don't sleeve cards because they hate the feel of cardboard, but because sleeves prevent damage.

True. Shuffling does cause more damage, but use can also cause damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:

They may recommend against it, but they will have no way to replace the card if it is damaged several years from now, for example. Using the edges of the sleeve for the things noted would not seriously impact the game and would allow the cards to be protected for those who wish to do so.

A few mm wider boxes would have allowed this too, if they figured the number needed before hand. The latter was laziness on their part. I still backed it, but it is disappointing.

Draco can't be held accountable for Compulsive Sleeving Disorder (from which i suffer). They recommend against sleeving and their boxes aren't sized with sleeving in mind. That's their design decision which (A) i don't agree with but (B) won't hold against them. i don't consider it laziness - it was a design decision they had to make, and they made it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
JgzMan wrote:
jmkinki wrote:
Grretings,

True. Shuffling does cause more damage, but use can also cause damage.

FWIW, the only cards which get shuffled are the order/event cards, and there is no recommendation against sleeving those (and no tuckboxes which are incompatible with sleeving those). The army cards are never shuffled.

That said: handling the cards at all can potentially damage them, and i'm a hard-core sleever not (as someone said above) because i hate the feel of cardboard, but to keep my cards in good working order for as long as humanly possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
My laziness comment was about not being able to clearly tell me how many cards would fit in the tuckboxes and how full they would be ahead of time.

I was told to "figure it out myself." I guess I could have done that, but it was a bit challenging with few details, including the precise card thickness which they would master better.

What I have will work for unsleeved cards and has room for a fair bit of expansion.

I do appreciate the printed tuckboxes. I have not had good success trying to print my own. I just wish they were about 5 mm wider and perhaps a bit taller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.