Subject: Hardware vs Resources rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So what's the difference between them?
Looks pretty similar to me. The only difference I see is that corp can trash a resouce as a basic ability (if runner is tagged, 2creds+click).
Seems very much like overlap to me.
Is the difference only in theme? Kinda like artifacts vs enchantments in Magic the Gathering game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iori_Yagami wrote:
Looks pretty similar to me. The only difference I see is that corp can trash a resouce as a basic ability (if runner is tagged, 2creds+click).
Is the difference only in theme? Kinda like artifacts vs enchantments in Magic the Gathering game.

There are several cards that have effects which affect only one of these two types and not the other.

Moreover, the difference you mentioned above is HUGE, not something to be ignored while deckbuilding.

If you are into fluff, there is a difference to what a Hardware can do as it is an upgrade to your rig which usually means that its effect is used while you are connected to the net while a Resource is usually a person or a location in the game's world and can only really affect the 'real' world, the 'meat space' as they call it.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
Iori_Yagami wrote:

There are several cards that have effects which affect only one of these two types and not the other.

Moreover, the difference you mentioned above is HUGE, not something to be ignored while deckbuilding.

If you are into fluff, there is a difference to what a Hardware can do as it is an upgrade to your rig which usually means that its effect is used while you are connected to the net while a Resource is usually a person or a location in the game's world and can only really affect the 'real' world, the 'meat space' as they call it.

Hope that helps.

Yes to all of this.

- There are currently 18 cards which interact directly with resources and [url=https://netrunnerdb.com/find/?q=x%3Ahardware20 that interact directly with hardware[/url] (links will update automatically as more cards are released; numbers will become out of date). Only one of those cards is common between both lists.

- Resources are, by default, much more vulnerable than hardware. There are a few hardware specific destruction tools, but there are also resource specific destruction tools, and the general "can be trashed by a basic action without cards when the runner is tagged" is a significant difference. That's the key reason almost everyone - even Criminals - play Plascrete Carapace in their decks rather than Crash Space.

- Theme is a little more nuanced than suggested, since there are Virtual resources as well as physical ones - but yes, hardware is rig extensions and tools, while resources are people, places, virtual tools at your disposal. Sacrificial Construct is a bit of an odd one out and should arguably be hardware, but otherwise there's a fairly big gulf in meaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.