Subject: Playing this with my 6 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Kustom
United Kingdom
Weston-super-Mare
flag msg tools
mb
Any ideas how I can make this game work with my 6 year old.
I have him playing some games like Carcassonne (no fields)and want to try something like Talisman but am concerned about length. I like the idea of the narrative the game can make with him.
Any suggestions on how to cut the length a bit and make it more child friendly would be helpful!
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing this with my kid since he was 6 yo (now he's 7) and he absolutely loves it.

We only tweak the game just a little bit by reducing the amount of trophy points down to 5 in order to level up. This boosts most of the characters pretty quickly. Additionally I "assign" him (of course HE chose the character) very straightforward characters with not too many special rules and such. It also helps not use characters, such as the thief against him as kids tend to HATE it if you steal cool items from them ;-)

Of course we only play until one player reaches the crown of command and then stop.

Hope this helps! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donagh Molloy
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the sped up play rules but not just for kids :-). I have room for an old coffee table to keep a game setup so it can be played over a couple of days over a few sessions. At that age even with a shortened game it can be a bit much to play in one full sit down. I play all my long games with kids this way. My youngest loves Eldritch horror played this way but I have to put this across extra spare tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the rule that you need 1 more trophy point above your stat to level up so its easier at the start and then levels off. You could also seed the board with basic adventure cards (similar to remnant cards in the cataclysm expansion) use gold, sword, shield, low stat animals, the odd magic item all face down. As for the ending, the first to the crown of command wins!
But most of all Enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hipkiss
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play Talisman with my 7 yr old, and he enjoys it. We have The Reaper and Frostmarch expansions, but don't use the alternative endings or the Reaper figure.

We generally play with revealed spells, although as the kids learn these you can try keeping them secret.

My son hates anything that can turn you into a toad, so never visits the Enchantress, whatever his Fate score! He's so cautious that he avoids the Ruins space, incase he gets two nasty cards! I like the idea of seeding the board with some nicer (or at least less nasty) cards for the earlier stages of the game.

All in all, Talisman is a great adventure game for kids, and can be advanced, if desired, with further expansions as they get older and more experienced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play with "Toading". It's just unfun, and I don't think it adds anything to the game, like dramatic tension, or interesting choices. It's simply too much downtime, especially considering I only ever play 4or5 player games. It's not even fun for the other players, except for maybe a few seconds of joking.

So instead of being turned into a toad, you lose 1 life and your turn ends.

Edit: Also any cards that have no real function other than Toading, are removed from the game. If it's something that has a d6 roll and Toad is one of the results, some of those are still included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.