Subject: Gloom of Kilforth, July 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
1066, Tears to Many Mothers, coming to Kickstarter!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

I know some of you have been getting withdrawal symptoms, so please go easy on this prescription and don’t swallow it all at once.
I hope everyone is enjoying the sound track to our beautiful world - here it is once again just in case you misplaced it...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tristanhall/gloom-of-ki...

So what have we been up to? Well, we’ve been making insane progress behind the scenes, faster than I’d anticipated given our workload, though we still have some tall cliffs to scale yet. I’m not going to confirm anything on timelines right now, but suffice to say that the August update might well be even more exciting than this one (I know, I wasn’t sure it was possible either)!

We’re currently in legal negotiations with two international production companies who would like to make non-English language versions of the game, which is all very exciting. More info on that as I have it if/when I have it.

Being a gamer first, I’ve squeezed the budget to make our game more like those that I enjoy buying. As a result, like I hinted at in the last update, we’ve upgraded the following modest game components for you all at no extra cost:

1. All 250 regular cards are now 310 gsm linen ivory core cards - if you don’t know what that means basically it means all your game’s cards will now be of the awesomest quality!

2. 24 x poker sized cards for Plots – the Plots thicken yet again, and widen, and lengthen, from mini sized to regular sized cards.

3. 2 x small plastic baggies included – a couple of baggies for your card decks have been thrown in, every little bit helps after all.

4. Velvet loot bag included 125 x 175mm – like the plastic baggies above, this one is for your loot tokens.

5. A4-sized rule-book - yeah it needs the extra size!

How cool is that?? There might just be one more upgrade too (hint: we're seeing if the art will fit).

Thank you as always for the continuing comments and messages of support and belief – we are getting there, slowly but surely. And rest assured I’ll never again produce another game with 250 unique pieces of art in the base game alone - I’m thinking maybe two pieces of art instead next time! And two is a good number of original pieces of art to leave you with I reckon, here’s two in their pretty much final layout:

The Dandy is a solid Ally with two wicked stat boosts - and big thanks to the Legendary Patricia Ustick for giving him a name. If you claim his rumour as a reward you need to head on down to the Plains location 'Windy Valley' and spend a Discover action to coerce him into play as your asset. Allies make great assets but you can only ever have 6 assets in play and each must have its own unique keyword, for example you can't have two * Shadow assets at once.

Why "1+" instead of "+1"? Well, you can slide this card under your hero card and line up your stats to handily see your current total at any time.

The Goodwife is a Stranger (big thanks to Sidefield for her name) who can be encountered in the Plains encounter deck where a lot of Strangers hang out. Plains are generally safer and more inhabited than other location types. She's fairly agreeable at just 2 Influence, so you only need 2 successes to win her over - or an incredible artefact to wow her with, hence Weakness: Jewellery. But as with all Strangers, if you land no Influence successes during an interaction and you simply refuse to spend that Fate token to make amends, then she also has her battle stats to start kicking your ass too! She rolls one die in battle and has 1 HP, and whilst she's your enemy you can Sneak past her if you wish to evade her. The skull shows you can only use Sneak if she's your enemy, and you'd need 1 Sneak success to slink by without encountering her (if your Sneak is 2 or higher you'll automatically succeed).

Okay, so maybe she's not that formidable in combat, but if you're attacking a Goodwife you have to ask yourself, what kind of hero are you anyway?? Well, in Kilforth it takes all types to save the world, and sometimes you might find yourself making unpleasant choices. If you win her over with Influence she can provide you with information: the hand-shake icon indicates a rumour of an Ally, maybe even the Dandy? Maybe he's her son/friend/friend's son/whatever? But if you defeat her in battle she wont' be giving you any information, instead you'll take her own card as a rumour. You can still use one of her keywords towards your Saga (or discard her rumour to use as Fate) but when you're regaling the tale of your next Saga's chapter to your friends you are the one who'll have to explain how defeating a goodwife fits into your supposedly heroic exploits!

Take care y’all, and stay lawful good,

Tristan xx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Berjano
United Kingdom
Coventry
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome update Tristan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jesberpen wrote:
Awesome update Tristan

Thanks, Jesus! Feels like we're well over the midway hump now, and it's all speeding steadily towards fulfilment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
GoK gives off such an awesome vibe.
Of the bazillion Kickstarters that I've supported, this is the only one I've become attached to, and hope it sees mega support with dozens of reprints.

Thanks so much for the ride, Tristan, and the best is yet to come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great update, teasing us even more!

I have a small question to consider.
You say here that are in negotations to pubish and translate the game to two different languages. I know nothing can be said still, but could you consider if, by chance, one of the other languages would appeal a backer more (I'm from Spain, for example), that we could get one of the translated versions?

I must admit that I'd be happy with the english version and I'd go with it gladly. But if there was a chance to get a spanish version (if that's one of the languages, of course), I'd think about it to easy the understanding for some of my friends.

Just something to consider.

And thanks for all the efforts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gardner
United States
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That dandystache is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Berjano
United Kingdom
Coventry
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
jesberpen wrote:
Awesome update Tristan

Thanks, Jesus! Feels like we're well over the midway hump now, and it's all speeding steadily towards fulfilment.

I'm sure it feels like ages for you with so much work involved, but I'm sure the months left will fly by. I'm really glad that the game finally receives the attention it deserves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:

You say here that are in negotations to pubish and translate the game to two different languages. I know nothing can be said still, but could you consider if, by chance, one of the other languages would appeal a backer more (I'm from Spain, for example), that we could get one of the translated versions?

I must admit that I'd be happy with the english version and I'd go with it gladly. But if there was a chance to get a spanish version (if that's one of the languages, of course), I'd think about it to easy the understanding for some of my friends.

I hope your wish is granted. I am still hoping for an English version.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Falenthal wrote:

Ouch!

rdsmith wrote:
GoK gives off such an awesome vibe.
Of the bazillion Kickstarters that I've supported, this is the only one I've become attached to, and hope it sees mega support with dozens of reprints.

Thanks so much for the ride, Tristan, and the best is yet to come!

And in return, thanks so much for your continuing support sir.

Falenthal wrote:

Fair point, duly considered, thank you – I will be sure to let you know as soon as I have any concrete information about this one way or the other.

brewgeek wrote:
Looking good!

Thanks budday! cool

Jokemeister wrote:

It’s based on mine!
(It’s not based on mine).

jesberpen wrote:
I'm sure it feels like ages for you with so much work involved, but I'm sure the months left will fly by. I'm really glad that the game finally receives the attention it deserves

Thanks mate - and remember to tell me that again once we’ve got our copies in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
martimer wrote:
Falenthal wrote:

Ouch!
Sorry, I truly meant it as humor. I may not await its release as eagerly as you, but I do eagerly await the release. I know it is coming, in English, soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned in the KSer thread that this art might be my favorite yet. They look almost like photos. Excellent.

That said, the wording could use some cleanup on the Goodwife card. It just sounds...wonky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving the layout/design. It's come so far thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I mentioned in the KSer thread that this art might be my favorite yet. They look almost like photos. Excellent.

That said, the wording could use some cleanup on the Goodwife card. It just sounds...wonky.

Thanks Jack, as I said in the KS thread, I'll tidy up the language for you.

martimer wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
martimer wrote:
Falenthal wrote:

Ouch!
Sorry, I truly meant it as humor. I may not await its release as eagerly as you, but I do eagerly await the release. I know it is coming, in English, soon enough.

Hehe, no worries, I wouldn't have thumbed you if I'd taken offence. cool

Boom04 wrote:
Loving the layout/design. It's come so far thumbsup

Thanks Dicky, it really has hasn't it - couldn't be happier with the design direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tristan,

Are you planning to preview all the legendary backers card choice art either privately or on updates?

I'm eager to see my choice and the result!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
What you wan'me kill?
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think this is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. Hope to never see it on the secondary market, but if I do I hope I'm able to swoop it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

Jokemeister wrote:

It’s based on mine!

You wish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kergenramirez wrote:
Hi Tristan,

Are you planning to preview all the legendary backers card choice art either privately or on updates?

Okay, just this once because yours is particularly awesome – and don’t say I never give you anything…

http://ratdorg.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/black-castle-spoiler-f...

NewTroll wrote:
I still think this is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. Hope to never see it on the secondary market, but if I do I hope I'm able to swoop it up!

Still got room for a couple more late backers – PM me if you’re interested.

jokeroz wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

Jokemeister wrote:

It’s based on mine!

You wish!

Yeah. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
kergenramirez wrote:
Hi Tristan,

Okay, just this once because yours is particularly awesome – and don’t say I never give you anything…

http://ratdorg.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/black-castle-spoiler-f...

NewTroll wrote:

Still got room for a couple more late backers – PM me if you’re interested.

jokeroz wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

[q="Jokemeister"]That dandystache is awesome!

It’s based on mine!

You wish!

Yeah. cry

Tristan that is quite cool thanks for sharing, looks a lot better than I imagined!

Will there be any way of knowing which cards have been named by legendary backers?

That would be sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kergenramirez wrote:
Tristan that is quite cool thanks for sharing, looks a lot better than I imagined!

Will there be any way of knowing which cards have been named by legendary backers?

That would be sweet!

Hmm, not sure. If all the Legend backers agreed I could maybe post up a list of who named what on my blog. Most of the cards with proper nouns in the flavour text will have been named by Legend backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
We’re currently in legal negotiations with two international production companies who would like to make non-English language versions of the game, which is all very exciting. More info on that as I have it if/when I have it.

Count me in for the French translation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

Thanks Daniel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

I guess any production company has its own translators, but if I can be of any help with a (potential) spanish translation, count with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
What you wan'me kill?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wish to send me a copy I will gladly translate it into American for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Getting more excited every update! So glad I got the chance (and that you accepted late backers!) to back this project late! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.