Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Langdale
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys,

I'm looking for games similar to "Cyclades" or "Kemet" in feel and by saying that similar to "A Game of thrones" too.

Positives :
Miniatures
Strong Theme
Combat
Area Control

I have already heard of or played these:
Ikusa/Samurai Swords/Shogun
Small World
Axis and Allies
Twilight Struggle
War of the Ring
TI3

Any other suggestions would be really great thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
мąççą
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Many +(s) to come... Blood Rage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Kemet, but I know there have been parallels drawn between it and Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Longobardi
Brazil
Mogi das Cruzes
São Paulo
flag msg tools
TOASTY !!!
badge
FLAWLESS VICTORY
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't enjoy Cyclades' "auctions for actions" system so much. Kemet is one of my favorite games, though.
Here are my suggestions based on other games with quick, smart combat systems I enjoy:

Blood Rage has a lot of similarities with Kemet, but abilities are card-drafted instead.
Olympos has a tech "tree" very similar to Kemet's, but is more "eurowy", have discs instead of minis, and deterministic combat.
Nexus Ops is a lighter game, with different kinds of units, and dice rolling.

If you look for longer, more epic games with maps and great miniatures combat:
Forbidden Stars
StarCraft: The Board Game (if you can find it)
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)

Games I've not played yet, but seems to have some things in common:

Scythe is inspired by Kemet and some other games;
Cry Havoc: have watched some videos and it seems it took some elements from Kemet, Nexus Ops and Forbidden Stars and mixed together.

Which elements on those games are you looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metalgear wrote:
Many +(s) to come... Blood Rage

Here's one. +1.

Blood Rage is just awesome.

Great game, great minis, just an all-around great package.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the recommendations already given:
Cthulhu Wars if you want a truly massive and impressive looking game, with a lot of variety and action.
Hyperborea has a bag-building mechanic and a lot of "tech" cards. Less combat oriented and more "euro".

My favorites (in rough order) are:

1. Cthulhu Wars
2. Hyperborea
3. Nexus Ops
4. Blood Rage
5. Cyclades
6. Kemet

I didn't think much of Chaos in the Old World (and Cthulhu Wars really blows it away), and Starcraft has too many "bugs".

Looking forward to trying Scythe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mare nostrum: Empires, clockwork wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage is indeed awesome. It has a very simple ruleset, but it's very deep and the more experienced player will nearly always win. The minis are fantastic and if you like to paint or want to learn this is a great game to start practicing because the monsters are so big that it's hard to make a mistake.

Forbidden Stars is definitely not as accessible as Blood Rage but it is in my opinion the best dudes on a map combat game in existence. It has everything; Area control. Deckbuilding. 4 different factions, each with completely unique units, powers, upgrade cards, and event cards. The order placement and resolution is unlike anything I have ever seen in any game. And to top it all of, the combat is the most intriguing system of any game I've ever played. If you like Ameritrash games with a TON of strategy and replayability, then take a look at this one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the Blood Rage, Chaos in the Old World, and Forbidden Stars already mentioned, take a look at Runewars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage and Chaos in the Old World are the most similar, time frame etc.

If you want longer games in that ball park check out Rune Wars and maybe Warrior Knights (needs the expansion though).

Mare Nostrum: Empires and Scythe look interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a chance to play a pre-release copy of Cry Havoc from Portal games, and I am really high on it and have been recommending it like crazy. It has minis, and is clearly in the Euro dudes on a map camp like Kemet and Cyclades. Check it out.

Forbidden Stars has some similarities to GoT in the order system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Langdale
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Francisco Arena wrote:
I didn't enjoy Cyclades' "auctions for actions" system so much. Kemet is one of my favorite games, though.
Here are my suggestions based on other games with quick, smart combat systems I enjoy:

Blood Rage has a lot of similarities with Kemet, but abilities are card-drafted instead.
Olympos has a tech "tree" very similar to Kemet's, but is more "eurowy", have discs instead of minis, and deterministic combat.

Forbidden Stars

Cry Havoc: have watched some videos and it seems it took some elements from Kemet, Nexus Ops and Forbidden Stars and mixed together.

I'm not 100% sure what it is I like about them, I definitely like miniatures, area control and combat.
The play a card, roll a dice combat system from game of thrones is favoured, also the system from Axis and allies or TI3 where each unit needs to roll different numbers.

I really like the look of the Scythe combat system too though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Scythe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelangdale7 wrote:
Francisco Arena wrote:

Forbidden Stars

I'm not 100% sure what it is I like about them, I definitely like miniatures, area control and combat.
The play a card, roll a dice combat system from game of thrones is favoured, also the system from Axis and allies or TI3 where each unit needs to roll different numbers.

The thing about Scythe is that it's not a combat game. It's multiplayer solitaire euro with a chance of combat happening. The combat system is not much different than Kemet, Blood Rage, or Cosmic Encounter. The only difference is that on top of playing a card you have an extra resource you can spend to boost your strength. Cry Havoc, and Forbidden Stars are the two most recent dudes on a map games with the most unique combat systems, and FS and Nexus Ops are the only ones mentioned here that use dice, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
England
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Senji is very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike is one of my favorite dudes on a map game. Great action system, clean mechanics, solid VP system. Looks great too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Langdale
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
gamecat_uk wrote:
Senji is very similar.

Which game is better Senji or Shogun/Samurai swords

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Barzaghi
Italy
Nova Milanese
MB
flag msg tools
mbmb
justrick wrote:
joelangdale7 wrote:
Francisco Arena wrote:

Forbidden Stars

The thing about Scythe is that it's not a combat game. It's multiplayer solitaire euro with a chance of combat happening. The combat system is not much different than Kemet, Blood Rage, or Cosmic Encounter. The only difference is that on top of playing a card you have an extra resource you can spend to boost your strength. Cry Havoc, and Forbidden Stars are the two most recent dudes on a map games with the most unique combat systems, and FS and Nexus Ops are the only ones mentioned here that use dice, I believe.

I've only played one game of scythe, but I wouldn't really say that there's only a chance of combat. It's probably the easiest way to get 2 stars (that is, a lot of points at the end of the game), which means that in a 5 players game there are almost always 10 combats, not counting the faction which can get a second star for each combat. In our game we actually had 12 combats, which are probably less compared to a more combat-oriented game, but I wouldn't say that it's a multiplayer solitaire (at least 3 of us had to change quite a bit our strategy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Heckmann
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By saying that you're looking for something similar to those two games, I guess you mean games with Ameritrash-aesthetics and more Euro-oriented rulesets, right? Because apart from that, I don't see that many similarities between "Kemet" and "Cyclades". Anyway, if that's what you're looking for, besides those already mentioned (like "Chaos In The Old World" and "Cthulhu Wars") you could try out:

Clockwork Wars
Awesome area control game with secret unit deployment and deterministic combat. I am so very, very bad at this game, but I love it nonetheless. Also works very well with all numbers of players (although I haven't tried it with two yet, but I'm pretty sure that it works that way, too).

Moongha Invaders: Mad Scientists and Atomic Monsters Attack the Earth!
Feels a bit like a mixture between "Age of Conan" and "Chaos In The Old World". There are dice in this game, but it's rather about calculating probabilities than blindly firing away. It might feel a bit limited or scripted at first, but it turns fairly tactical later on.

The Lord of the Ice Garden
Like "Chaos In The Old World" with the euro-elements dialed up to eleven. I love this game so much. It looks great, it is incredibly interactive, there is absolutely no luck involved and doing good at it is pretty satisfying. And if you're failing misserably, usually there's no one to blame but yourself. Awesome game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.