Hide
6 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Player count variant (Synergy) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
davey sandoval
msg tools
So, I was playing Marvel Legendary solo against Thanos with 3 guardians of the galaxy and it dawned on me how I could not have beaten him without the synergy the group provided, as well as the shards.

But it got me thinking...I know as the player count grows the game gets harder, so my player count variant is this:

You MUST add a number of Heroes from the same Team EQUAL to the number of players.

So basically, in the example of the Avengers, in a two player game you must add two Avengers Heroes, in a 3 player game you must add 3 Avenger Heroes, and so on. The remaining heroes you add are random.

The idea is that even though the player count goes up and the game gets harder, the opportunities of synergy increase and the whole team becomes overall stronger. What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M. Cabal Inés
Spain
Oviedo
Principado de Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take into account that would become easier that you finish the game by ending up the hero deck. In some schemes it will be very, very fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davey sandoval
msg tools
Well, you would put the same amount of heroes in the hero deck, but you would just make sure you have at least the same number of heroes from the same team based on the number of players in the hero deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
It makes certain cards/heroes/combos terrifying (X-Men United anyone?) and it doesn't solve the main difficulty problem with 5-player games (which is that the first 20 villain card draws happen before anyone has really gotten a deck going).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davey sandoval
msg tools
I had already seen another variant where the players would get to play a hand before the game officially started. 1-3 players play as normal. 4 players everyone gets one hand to buy before game starts. 5 players get two hands to buy before games starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Yeah, that's seen as one of the easiest ways to handle the intrinsic problems with 5-player games - certainly for villains-escape schemes where the initial rush across the city can leave players struggling to respond at all.

I'm not sure it's actually a particularly good answer to the situation, but it probably does make the game a little more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.