Popular Tags: [View All]
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

It occurs to me that the game would lend itself very well to scenarios where the initial positioning of the defenders' (and even attackers'?) units are to an extent unknown.

I would for example like the option to shell hexes on the map that I can see harbour either real or decoy units belonging to my opponent (Columbia-style blocks, anyone?). The 'identity' of the units concerned would only be revealed to me as real or decoy units when they moved, or opened fire, or when my attacking troops arrived within a certain distance of them (two hexes?). The way I see it, I wouldn't actually need to be made aware whether the enemy unit was real or a decoy if my artillery or small arms fire inflicted casualties on it, or even if my firepower inflicted enough hits on it to destroy a real unit (always four?). The defender could track (potential) damage (by rotating the block?)

Does this sound like the sort of thing that a future expansion could usefully cover?

Cheers all,
Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hismhs wrote:
Hi all,

It occurs to me that the game would lend itself very well to scenarios where the initial positioning of the defenders' (and even attackers'?) units are to an extent unknown.

I would for example like the option to shell hexes on the map that I can see harbour either real or decoy units belonging to my opponent (Columbia-style blocks, anyone?). The 'identity' of the units concerned would only be revealed to me as real or decoy units when they moved, or opened fire, or when my attacking troops arrived within a certain distance of them (two hexes?). The way I see it, I wouldn't actually need to be made aware whether the enemy unit was real or a decoy if my artillery or small arms fire inflicted casualties on it, or even if my firepower inflicted enough hits on it to destroy a real unit (always four?). The defender could track (potential) damage (by rotating the block?)

Does this sound like the sort of thing that a future expansion could usefully cover?

Cheers all,
Matt

Or use my counters variant and play with them face down and add wound tokens. When I expand those to include the tanks units, I'll add some dummy counters too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting idea if you don't mind the dramatic slow-down in the action of play. As one of the game's great virtues is its wonderful tempo, I'm not sure additional fog of war is justified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...an interesting idea...but my understanding of tactics of that period is that you pretty much knew what was in front of you. Maybe not to the full extent...but at this scale, I think fog of war would just overly complicate and slow down the game. Use it if you wish, but I'll respectfully pass...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool Richard Borg intentionally designed a simple, robust system that can easily take all kinds of home brewed variants, and this is certainly one of them. Sometimes I think he must be surprised that so many people 'ask permission' or wait for something official, rather than just go off in an interesting direction, as you are about to do. Have fun, and let us know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.