Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!

I just got this game and since I'm a sucker for Colovini games lately I'm excited to give it a try soon.
I noticed that there's a slight difference between the English and the German rules of the game regarding the actions your submarines can take.

The English rules only say that all bathyscapes in the same column as the recovery ship may take actions and may be moved or collect treasure(s). But have to at least take one action.

Quote:
Only bathyscapes that lie in the column directly under the player's recovery ship may take actions. [..] All bathyscapes in this column can take one action, regardless of what row they are in.

The German rules explicitly say that all bathyscapes in a column have to take the same kind of action. So either you move all your subs or you collect treasure with them.

Quote:
Alle Boote in einer Spalte - auch in unterschiedlichen Ebenen - können nur für dieselbe Aktionsart eingesetzt werden.

So does anybody know what the correct rules are in this case?

Thanks! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am voting German.

I think that the English phrasing is trying to say the same thing as the German, just not as clearly. The instruction that they "can take one action" might mean they all have to select the same action: move vs collect.

Also, it has this:
Only bathyscaphes that lie in the column directly under the player’s recovery ship may take actions. These bathyscaphes may:
be moved or
collect treasure(s), but not both.

On my first reading, I thought it meant that any one bathyscaphe could not do both actions. However, given the German rules, this can also be interpreted as an unclear instruction that the entire column must do one or the other, not both.

This might make the end game a tad easier because now you cannot have one do recovery while moving the other to mess with an opponent's upcoming recovery. Hmmm...it also means you can't try to recover with one while positioning another for your next recovery.

I have asked Rio Grande Games customer service to look into this for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RGG was kind enough to respond quickly with this, so it looks like I'll need to hunt for the response from Europe [BGG-mail sent to Leo Colovini]:

----
Dear Brent:

Thank you for your interest in Rio Grande Games.

Rio Grande Games is the English-language licensee for Submarine. They license the game from Winning Moves Germany. Any questions about the development of the game should be directed to them, or to the designer, Leo Colovini.

As far as the misspelling of bathyscaphe goes, we apologize. However, it seems unlikely that Rio Grande will go back and reprint this game, so the mistake is probably not reversible.
--

Todd Jensen
Spare Parts Guy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks a lot for your effort there! I'm curious to see Leos response to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Colovini
Italy
Venice
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I don't play Submarine since many years, so I don't remember those details, but I don't see why the bathyscaphes should make al the same action. The principal is that a submarine may donone action only if the ship 'activate' it from the surface

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I am back to being confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Duchesne
Canada
La Baie
Quebec
flag msg tools
Oh !
Compared to the english rules, I prefer this idea that the bathyscaphes under the ship, don't have all to do the same action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there official French rules? All I spot is this translation, which supports your view that they all get one action, but don't have to all take the same action:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/8193/submarinedoc

Tous les bathyscaphes de cette colonne peuvent réaliser une action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.