¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, unless you live in Alaska or Northern Canada.
Or Newfoundland. Or Minnesota. Or Northern Europe. Or...
Wait, let's start over. shake

I do not live in a rural area. The highway between the city where I work and the city where I live carries 30,000 vehicles a day.
Yes, there are farms and acreages between the two city limits, but still.

Last night. 4:00pm. Off to the left, in a farmer's field and running at about 40 km/hr:

Andy! shake

It was seriously spooked by the traffic. It practically stepped over a barbed wire fence, like it wasn't even there. Barely an effort to jump required.
It ran across the highway and into another field, and over another fence. Now it is running again, parallel to the highway and up to its chest in the canola crops that it is trampling; its head is swinging around, looking for a safe path away from all of the cars.
All road traffic-- and there was a ton of it-- was at a crawl, since no one wanted to get in the way of this beast if it decided to bolt across the road again.
And the image above does it justice. This wasn't a small animal; it was a full grown male with a huge set of antlers.
I couldn't get close enough to it to get a picture on my phone.
I've seen moose in the mountain parks before, but usually at a distance.

Most exciting drive home ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little surprised that no one tried to approach it on foot to snap a selfie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
I'm a little surprised that no one tried to approach it on foot to snap a selfie.

laugh

Judging its irritation level, I'm not surprised. It was intimidating as hell.
I would have loved to have gotten a selfie, but it wasn't letting anything get close to it, by car or on foot.

Think about if a dog stood on the back of a cow. That's about how tall the thing was at the shoulder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Pone4games wrote:

laugh

The fallacy here is that someone might think that it would be safe to approach it if it wasn't visibly irritated. If a wild animal is scary enough that you'd be afraid to approach it when it was in a bad mood, then approaching it any time is a dangerous idea. You never know when it will spook or feel you are invading its territory or personal space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
What, no squirrel?...Unimpressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
MABBY wrote:
Pone4games wrote:

laugh

The fallacy here is that someone might think that it would be safe to approach it if it wasn't visibly irritated. If a wild animal is scary enough that you'd be afraid to approach it when it was in a bad mood, then approaching it any time is a dangerous idea. You never know when it will spook or feel you are invading its territory or personal space.

There has been some incidents in the US National Park service where visitors were injured trying to get selfies with Bison or other wild animals. Needless to say there were injuries, but thankfully not to the animals. shake

An incident like yours put me in mind of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings at a single bound!" "Yes, it's a Moose - strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men.

mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
MABBY wrote:
Well, unless you live in Alaska or Northern Canada.
Or Newfoundland. Or Minnesota. Or Northern Europe.

My son saw one in Estes Park, Colorado, on a choir trip. I had no idea they got that far south but he proved it with pictures. It was in a river and my son got pretty close.

I myself have yet to see one in the wild despite numerous trips to the backwoods of Canada, Alaska, Minnesota and New England. Would love to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Came to this thread expecting a pokemon. Left pleasantly surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I thought Canada was nothing but Mooses.

Mooses? Moosi? Moosusses?

...For that matter, what is the proper name for a group of moose? If there isn't a name, I'm going to suggest "Magisterium", as in "A magisterium of moose."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:

I myself have yet to see one in the wild despite numerous trips to the backwoods of Canada, Alaska, Minnesota and New England. Would love to.

I ran across one once while canoeing in the BC interior. It and it's offspring swam across the river in front of us and then went crashing away through the underbrush. We paddled to the place where they exited the water; the bush was so thick, I don't think we could have followed. I was amazed by how something so huge could make it's way through something so dense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

...For that matter, what is the proper name for a group of moose? If there isn't a name, I'm going to suggest "Magisterium", as in "A magisterium of moose."

Looked it up - it's a herd of moose. I like magisterium, I also like mooseum. "I ran through a mooseum yesterday, I'm lucky to be alive!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Week 2017 TOKYO bullet KYOTO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister was bitten by a moose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

As a Card-Carrying Canadian™, I can assure you that the correct plural of moose is meese. It's similar to goose/geese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.