$15.00
$20.00
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a no brainer that more scenarios will come, but with only 2 currently available (1.5 really), RtL has a lot of promise, but isn't the draw it could be.

Not being one to follow FFG developments too closely (I've been away from gaming circles a bit as of late), I was curious if they had formally or informally (conventions, etc) stated anything about the future develops of this application?

For example, is the plan to start monetizing the scenarios? If i'm not mistaken, the first two are free, yes?

I'd be fine with this, if for no other reason than turning RtL into a revenue stream will likely raise the internal priority of future developments, provided it pays off (which, given the level of interest, seems a likely bet at the moment).

In a far flung daydream I'd love for FFG to start converting pre-existing expansion scenario campaigns into app driven endeavors, but that would necessitate quite a bit of labor.

/ramble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kindred Fire was meant to cost around $10 (if I remember correctly), but FFG ended up giving it away for free because once the app was announced, sales of physical products skyrocketed.

It's a pretty sure bet that more campaigns will be on the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't expect the conversion of existing campaigns: they require an overlord with human-level intelligence and flexibility, because the win conditions for the OL are different in each quest. RTL is much more straight-forward: the OL has to kill the heroes repeatedly, or run down the clock and let the perils finish the heroes off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They tend to only announce a few things (like major licenses) more than a month or two in advance.

To me, this makes sense. They don't want to provide a source for disappointment around products that frequently have to undergo significant changes up to the minute they are printed, for a variety of reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
niels wrote:
Also, don't expect the conversion of existing campaigns: they require an overlord with human-level intelligence and flexibility, because the win conditions for the OL are different in each quest. RTL is much more straight-forward: the OL has to kill the heroes repeatedly, or run down the clock and let the perils finish the heroes off.

I thought I made it clear in my original commentary that this was a far flung pipe dream, but one I wanted to give voice to despite the unlikely quality.

That said, despite not having played through any of the campaigns, a glance through Shadow Rune's (illegally posted) scenario book doesn't paint too difficult of a picture for Overlord AI. Different per scenario, true, but nothing too complex. Of course, Shadow is the most basic of basic scenario designs, I'm aware. It paints the picture that conversion would be unlikely, but not impossible.

timlillig wrote:
They tend to only announce a few things (like major licenses) more than a month or two in advance.

To me, this makes sense. They don't want to provide a source for disappointment around products that frequently have to undergo significant changes up to the minute they are printed, for a variety of reasons.

True, but nothing says they couldn't paint a general picture ("we aim to release 2 more scenarios in 2016" for example).

FFG is uniquely non-communicative in how they handle things. I'm use to the candor of indie developers (both in the video game and board game sphere). Sometimes this does backfire for them, that is true (google "Phil Fish," or "Peter Molyneux") but more often than not it is fine. In fact, just today, I read a Reddit AMA with a PC indie game developer, and he was candid about his vision, future plans, and the tentative nature of all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
niels wrote:

I thought I made it clear in my original commentary that this was a far flung pipe dream, but one I wanted to give voice to despite the unlikely quality.

That said, despite not having played through any of the campaigns, a glance through Shadow Rune's (illegally posted) scenario book doesn't paint too difficult of a picture for Overlord AI. Different per scenario, true, but nothing too complex. Of course, Shadow is the most basic of basic scenario designs, I'm aware. It paints the picture that conversion would be unlikely, but not impossible.

timlillig wrote:

True, but nothing says they couldn't paint a general picture ("we aim to release 2 more scenarios in 2016" for example).

FFG is uniquely non-communicative in how they handle things. I'm use to the candor of indie developers (both in the video game and board game sphere). Sometimes this does backfire for them, that is true (google "Phil Fish," or "Peter Molyneux") but more often than not it is fine. In fact, just today, I read a Reddit AMA with a PC indie game developer, and he was candid about his vision, future plans, and the tentative nature of all.

Probably we will not see the box campaigns translate to the app, but who knows? Maybe we see more quests from heroes and monsters packs or small box converted to the app.

Just a small note, the quest from Manor of Reavens in the app have the same design from one of quests of the expansion and works great.

But in my opinion, I really dont want to see the same quests from last campaigns (just the good ones ). They have reached a better quality in the quest design with the last campaigns (heirs of blood , mists of belihall) and the vast majority of the quests in the app are true brilliant.

For RTL future, see this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1601020/future-rtl-campaign...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
I think campaign conversions are a great idea. A conversion would be a lot less work than entirely new campaigns and would allow them to fill out the app content much more quickly. It would also allow for expansion specific campaigns without excessive work.

Shadow rune is an obvious candidate as it is out of print and does not require an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
I think campaign conversions are a great idea. A conversion would be a lot less work than entirely new campaigns and would allow them to fill out the app content much more quickly. It would also allow for expansion specific campaigns without excessive work.

Shadow rune is an obvious candidate as it is out of print and does not require an expansion.

Yeah, but it would also be kind of a letdown, especially for those that didn't know the campaign's history.

Still, I'd take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:

Out of print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:

Its not so easy. They need rework a lot of thinks in the previous campaigns. Shadow Rune contains the less insteresting quests by far compared to any campaign(the replacement for Heirs of Blood in the new reprints happened for a good reason). I dont see as a good move to them release a subpar product compared to the new ones .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
BruceLGL wrote:

Out of print?

Yes, it is no longer available (Heirs of Blood replaced it in the core box).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
BruceLGL wrote:

Out of print?

Yes, it is no longer available (Heirs of Blood replaced it in the core box).

Oh, didn't realise that! Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
Kindred Fire was meant to cost around $10 (if I remember correctly), but FFG ended up giving it away for free because once the app was announced, sales of physical products skyrocketed.

It's a pretty sure bet that more campaigns will be on the way.

I so hope that this is the case...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
BruceLGL wrote:

The campaign so bad they don't even sell it any more!

They could re-use the story, flavour text and some of the ideas but any story/quest designer worth their salt has 100s of good ideas for stories/quests. That's never the problem. The problem is making them work. I can guarantee FFG's writers are not sitting about going "damn, we've done 7 Descent campaigns now and I'm all out of fantasy plots"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, while I think Shadow Rune had it's flaws, I didn't think it was THAT bad, all things considered. I wonder why they didn't make an announcment about that (and I wonder if new players will ever be able to get ahold of the Shadow Rune quests?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's less that Shadow Rune was bad and more that the campaigns that followed improved on its strong points and ironed out its flaws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.